PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

95% ltv

Options
vaani114411
vaani114411 Posts: 20 Forumite
edited 16 October 2017 at 10:04PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi,

I was thinking to buy a property a pre owned but didn’t know that my immigration status could be a problem. I am a dependent to British National and have a daughter with the same status. I am feeling so disappointed. I was considering for 95% LTV and 5% mortgage. No wonder so many people are unable to buy a property. Both of us are have a reputable jobs and a good pay.

Comments

• goodwithsaving
    Options
    And the point of this thread is??

95% LTV isn't 5% mortgage. It's 95% mortgage and 5% cash (and a 95% LTV is a stupid idea).
  • juniordoc
    Options
    The home office may have done you a favour, now is not a good time to buy at 95% LTV unless you plan on staying in a property a very long time.
    Prices are stagnating, falling in some areas, and if you buy with a very small deposit like this then you really risk negative equity.
    What has to change with your immigration status to allow you to buy a property in the future?
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    I was thinking to buy a property a pre owned but didn’t know that my immigration status could be a problem. I am a dependent to British National and have a daughter with the same status. I am feeling so disappointed. I was considering for 95% LTV and 5% mortgage. No wonder so many people are unable to buy a property. Both of us are have a reputable jobs and a good pay.
    Why not get the person on whom you're dependent (the British national) to borrow the money against the property - are they not creditworthy? Why not offer to put down a much bigger deposit - are you expecting the bank to fund nearly the entire purchase for you? Why should they?

It doesn't matter that you and your daughter have 'reputable jobs'; if you are both 'dependent' on someone else then the lender would be irresponsible to lend you tens or hundreds of thousands of pounds to fund 95% of the current value of a home, knowing that if the property price falls by a third your debt would be 40% greater than the updated valuation of the property on which the debt is 'secured' and you as the borrower don't even have the right to live here on your own.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    buying a house is not a right, it's a privilege that is respected. I bought a house after almost 10 years working and years of saving like mad and working extra shifts, sacrificing holidays.

Do it like everyone else and save, no one owes you a house
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • vaani114411
    Options
    So you guys have got me wrong. I am a dependent on my husband who is a British National. My daughter is 1 year old and the house that I am looking at is available at 5% deposit so I was thinking for 95% Loan on it. I and my husband are with reputable companies and not my daughter. And my question was is 95% Loan to Value a good idea? We both have good credit ratings, no outstanding debts whatsoever. If we buy the flat, we don’t want to sell it ever. We plan to live in it for a pretty long time and it’s a good location near to Metropolitan line in London like just stone away from the station.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Why aren't you purchasing together?
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • vaani114411
    Options
    We are thinking to buy together.
  • juniordoc
    juniordoc Posts: 366 Forumite
    Options
    No, buying a property at 95% LTV is not a good idea, particularly in London where house prices are falling.
    Keep saving, and let the prices fall, you may be in a better position to look at buying in 6-12 months.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ah! So you and your husband want to buy a flat in London with a 95% mortgage but you can't get anyone to loan you that despite having good, well-paying, jobs?
  • elliemet23
    Options
    Myself and my partner have just bought a house and we have done 95% LTV... Someone explain to my why that's "stupid idea"?

You don't know people's circumstances and how much they have saved to use as a deposit, so don't be so judgemental. We didn't buy in London so can't comment on the market there, but it's worked out perfectly for us.

You need to find a good mortgage broker, and consider buying together to increase your chances of getting a mortgage.

Good luck!
    xxxx
    27th October - £1008.86 owed
    24th November - £987.02 owed
    Bloody interest :mad::eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts