Real-life MMD: Should I make homemade presents that won't be appreciated?

Options
Former_MSE_Debs
Former_MSE_Debs Posts: 890 Forumite
edited 13 November 2013 at 3:01PM in MoneySaving polls
Money Moral Dilemma: Should I make homemade presents that won't be appreciated?

My husband and I have very little to spend this Christmas. So to cut costs, I’m making presents. But my husband says his younger brothers wouldn’t appreciate anything homemade - he's suggested we buy them vouchers. We probably could, using the money saved on other people’s presents, but even though I’ve no idea what to make them, it’s not very fair. Should we just buy the vouchers, or insist everyone is treated the same?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply

Note: Please remember that these are real-life Money Moral Dilemmas and while we want you to have your say, please remember to be nice when you respond.

If you have a real-life money MORAL dilemma, email [EMAIL="MMD@moneysavingexpert.com"]MMD@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL]

Previous MMDs: View All

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• louisekatie31
    Options
    If you really can't afford it don't buy them. It's supposed to be the thought that counts.
  • squeekymoo
    Options
    Either make an agreement to not buy presents for each other or give them a handmade present and say that you are giving hand made gifts this year as you hate commercial Christmas tat that doesn't show any thought or love for the recipient. Do not buy vouchers - you might as well just swap £20 notes - where is the love in that?
    We stopped swapping Christmas presents a couple of years ago and all concerned are glad not to have to troll round the shops trying to find that 'perfect' gift only to see it reduced to half price in the sales a week after Christmas
    We take it in turns to host a Christmas get together and either do a lucky dip of jokey presents or small gifts that we have gathered during the year, if we don't do lucky dip we do small gifts put in bought crackers such as key-rings, travel toiletries chocolates etc. these small or jokey gifts can be from charity shops, boot fairs or £1 shops
  • tgroom57
    tgroom57 Posts: 1,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Homemade sloe gin ? It would be a churlish younger brother not to appreciate a homemade liquer.

I know the feeling well and am in the same boat myself. I'm not giving presents this year unless I can see it is something the recipient will value, and I can acquire same at no cost. This does work ! - For her birthday my daughter wanted money towards a Tablet - and I remembered (just in time) I had a £30 voucher in the cupboard that would also allow her to spread the cost.

Don't just buy the vouchers, discuss it some more and see what ideas you come up with. Good luck and Happy Christmas !
  • lollipopsarah
    Options
    It depends how old they are if they are over 18 then they should think themselves lucky to get a gift.
    just my opinion, times are hard and it is the thought that counts.
    xx
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Homemade food or drink? Perhaps.

However, there is also the joy of giving, and if your husband will enjoy giving his brothers vouchers much more than home made stuff, then perhaps husband wins.

Or, you make a papier mache moneybox/terimundi and put some real money in (and some chocolate coins, if you make the sort that can be reused rather than broken when full). Then everybody's about as happy as you can get.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • Talent
    Talent Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    Buy all your little gifts from charity shops. Only buy small cheap ones and you don't have to be too choosy. Put a note in the gift stating which charity benefitted and that 'you know it will be appreciated'.
    Merry Christmas.
  • gerispringer
    Options
    Make a personalised bottle bag that can be reused and put a bottle of wine in , then they get something homemade plus something bought they can't object to that.
  • Elisecas
    Options
    Everyone likes something, your dear husband just needs to be a bit more creative.

The options range from whiskey marmalade to mint-choc fudge and that's just touching the surface of food. Then there's 'vouchers' for babysitting or dog sitting or the like.

I wonder if what your husband really means isn't that they would think less of you for not having gone the commercial route. If that's the case then - ignoring the fact I don't think I like them all that much already - in Bristol we have a £2 bookstore on Park Street that does great cookery books and there are similar places around the country. Or scour local Oxfam-bookshops (the bookshops only have better stock) or record shops (Oxfam again) if they have the facilities to play vinyl. Failing that, clever shopping at Poundland is utterly possible, you just have to be very selective.

Basically, if they are too shallow to enjoy your efforts, they probably won't notice that you've spent a lot less if you're clever about it..
  • Phuddles
    Options
    I bought my son and 'sin-in-law' really nice biscuit barrels several years ago which I filled with a variety of home made bickies. For birthdays and Christmas they love to get a refill. ;) I try not to buy people things they don't want and won't use these days.
  • addyann
    addyann Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ohh these posts made me remember!
    My BEST present from my nan would be a tub of homemade mince pies. Our Great uncle used to make and decorate our family Christmas cake. I can still remember my favourite one, but ask me to remember a present he bought me?......
    Or if there is something they like that you have made before, which you can't wrap, such as a favourite meal, do a voucher for them to claim later in the year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure