Should I stay or should I go?

Options

Comments

• BunnieJ
    BunnieJ Posts: 418 Forumite
    Options
    bluenoseam wrote: »
    My appologies, I had read it was Bristol not London but the fact escaped my mind during my reply. Again though, I'll point out the obvious, while it grates on you that someone else is being paid more than you for the same job, professionalism dictates you should keep that to yourself. If you start kicking up a fuss there's no two ways about it you WILL be stirring up all those sorts of problems, albeit very briefly! The reason I say that is reading to me (and correct me if I'm wrong) it looks like you've been there 7 months, which isn't anywhere near long enough for you to have any protection beyond "protected characteristics". That's the point where I'd be kinda nervous about raising any issues as if it's only been the 7 months, it's easier to sack you than deal with you - in which case you lose everything AND have a dismissal on record.

You also sound like you're somewhat reluctant to change jobs incase you "don't fit in", now that's something you'll need to learn to get over quickly. Comfort is good, but in life you're going to need to leave your comfort zone from time to time, the flipside is that you don't know if a new job might not be the best thing since sliced bread. Unless you take that leap you'll never know.

Why does it? If we all kept quiet about everything, nobody would ever get a raise! I don't want to be confrontational, but on the other hand, I feel like they're taking me for a fool if I sit and do nothing! :mad:

As far as I'm aware, my company can't just 'sack' me without a good reason. I've never been off sick/come in late/been s**t at my job, so they would actively have to seek out reasons to give me warnings before a dismissal, right? And, if that was the case, could I not argue that it would then be unfair? (I don't know much about this)...:(

They don't seem like the sort of company to do something like that, although they're willing to let me work with the knowledge I get paid far less than my colleagues for the same job, so who knows what they'll do!

As my nan says: never be loyal to a company, if they need to get rid of you they won't think twice! :eek:

I know, it's a risk whatever I do. That's why I'm so nervous! It just feels like such a shame, as I've been getting on so well in the job/with my colleagues and had begun to settle down. I'm terrible at meeting new people and making friends, so it's always daunting for me to go somewhere new and have to start again! :sad:

Admittedly the money has always been pretty poor, but we've all been in it together. We could have picked up extra shifts and overtime before to bump up our wages, but now we have the support staff to do that, so why pay us time and a half to do hours they can cover? *sigh*

The plan (yes, I know things don't often end up the way you plan them, but...) was to stay in the job for at least a year, gain experience and get settled in Bristol, then think about looking for another job if I felt I needed to. Before the takeover I had been given the opportunity to move into the head receptionist role sometime in the new year. I would have been given a slight pay increase and more responsibility. Unfortunately that didn't happen. I thought I was actually getting somewhere, moving forward in my job...
  • JKSandy
    JKSandy Posts: 711 Forumite
    Options
    "The company I originally got the job with was taken over and I had to TUPE across to the new one"

You will still have your previous employment contract terms and conditions; you have stated one of them being you work 35 hours as opposed to 40 hours.

I would imagine the only way you will get to the same salary is for them to freeze wages for the people who haven't TUPE'd over and you to get annual increases until you are on a par with them.
    All that glitters is not gold.
  • cherryblossomzel
    Options
    Your options aren't mutually exclusive: nothing stops you from scheduling a meeting with your line manager to talk about your job and future at the company while at the same time keeping an eye out for a different position.

Likewise you could decide to sit tight for the next few months and then to talk to your boss, or you could sit tight for a bit and then start looking for something else. Your decisions do not have to be irreversible.
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Why do you have to put your job on the line to ask for a pay rise?

Ask your boss for a pay rise > explain that you are feeling under valued and work hard .... (google what to say when your asking for a pay rise you'll get well worded stuff then the crap I will come out with)

Their is NO NEED to say give me a pay rise or I will leave, if they still decline to up your pay after you put it to them why you deserve a pay rise then keep your chin up and keep looking for another job.

They can always replace you > you can not replace a job so easily, you'd only be putting yourself out not them.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite
    Options
    There's a sad truth, if it's only been 7 months (which is unclear) you have precious little protection - so have you been in the current role longer than 7 months including the time pre-takeover? Have you been in the role for 2 years or more?

If the answer to either of those questions is no, then you CAN be sacked for no reason, heck it's Wednesday, they can just turn round at 4pm and say "don't come back you're done". Simple as. There are protections for things like sex, race, age & certain medical conditions, but it doesn't sound like any of those apply in this case, so you can actually be sacked for no reason.

As for "keeping mouth shut" yeah, it's annoying, but once you do have 2 years you have a little more ability to be demanding, prior to that you'll probably find it leads to trouble. Like it or not that's the way of the world, none of us are particularly happy about it, but hey, nothing much we can do about it now.
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,027 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had a similar situation happen to me. I gave them an ultimatum that if my salary wasn't raised to the same as my colleague at the next review, I was off. It wasn't raised, so I resigned with nothing to go to. I temped for a few weeks before coming across a job I REALLY wanted and who wanted somebody who could start immediately, so I was in an ideal position to get the job.

I'm sooooooooooo glad my old company made the decision to reject my request for a raise, the skills I got in the next job lead to me meeting my now husband and ultimately starting my own business a few years later where I earn way, way more than I ever did in the job I wanted the raise in.

Sometimes you just have to be brave.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Really, what this boils down to is your employer's attitude to you, not the other way around.

If your friend and partner are right...and your employer couldn't afford to lose you...then you're not risking being unemployed by threatening to leave...because they'll cave.

You can always change your mind at the last second. You'll look weak, you'll probably not have prospects at the company (which you don't have anyway), but you'll still be in a job.

If, actually, they could replace you tomorrow with a temp...it's not the smartest thing to do.

I have to disagree with people who think managers frown on this, though. I've worked for a couple of places who wouldn't give people a raise until they had a letter of resignation in their hand. They'd offer more money, the people would stay (or leave) and that would be the end of it. No hard feelings, just business.
  • Prothet_of_Doom
    Options
    In my humble opinion, if market rates are higher, then stay in your job, until you find a higher paying job, and then leave.

If anyone asks you in interview, what you earn, just say, that you don't wish to discuss that, as you know it's not the going rate, and barely pays the rent, and one of the reasons for looking is because you want to work for a company that values your contribution, and would this be a good time to ask about career and salary progression?
  • BunnieJ
    BunnieJ Posts: 418 Forumite
    Options
    Idiophreak wrote: »
    Really, what this boils down to is your employer's attitude to you, not the other way around.

If your friend and partner are right...and your employer couldn't afford to lose you...then you're not risking being unemployed by threatening to leave...because they'll cave.

You can always change your mind at the last second. You'll look weak, you'll probably not have prospects at the company (which you don't have anyway), but you'll still be in a job.

If, actually, they could replace you tomorrow with a temp...it's not the smartest thing to do.

I have to disagree with people who think managers frown on this, though. I've worked for a couple of places who wouldn't give people a raise until they had a letter of resignation in their hand. They'd offer more money, the people would stay (or leave) and that would be the end of it. No hard feelings, just business.

I totally agree with you! Yes, I would ideally like a better paid job with more career progression, but I'm still being underpaid and undervalued now! I at least deserve the market rate/rate my co-workers are getting paid. My company's attitude towards me is pretty appauling.

My OH had a similar situation at work. He asked for a pay review, got turned down, then went for a couple of interviews (which scared his current employer) and suddenly he has a better job title, more responsibiliy and is being paid a few grand more than he was before!

Why does asserting your rights as an employee mean you're a 'causing trouble' or 'unprofessional'? If you don't ask, you don't get!

In my humble opinion, if market rates are higher, then stay in your job, until you find a higher paying job, and then leave.

If anyone asks you in interview, what you earn, just say, that you don't wish to discuss that, as you know it's not the going rate, and barely pays the rent, and one of the reasons for looking is because you want to work for a company that values your contribution, and would this be a good time to ask about career and salary progression?

As for career progression in my current role: there isn't any! Short of the head receptionist leaving and one of us being promoted, there is no other roles for us to progress to. I'm not sure if our salary will increase yearly due to profit/intrest rates etc as we have only been with the new company for a couple of months. One of my colleagues has worked for 10 years without any pay increase!

Why should I be forced to leave when other members of staff doing the same job are being paid the 'going rate' which is alot higher than my wage?
    Sometimes you just have to be brave.

Yep :shocked:
    There's a sad truth, if it's only been 7 months (which is unclear) you have precious little protection - so have you been in the current role longer than 7 months including the time pre-takeover? Have you been in the role for 2 years or more?

If the answer to either of those questions is no, then you CAN be sacked for no reason, heck it's Wednesday, they can just turn round at 4pm and say "don't come back you're done". Simple as. There are protections for things like sex, race, age & certain medical conditions, but it doesn't sound like any of those apply in this case, so you can actually be sacked for no reason.

Well...that's s**t! I had no idea employees had so little protection :(
  • bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite
    Options
    I'd suggest reading up about employment law, I did think you sounded a little....niave, sorry if that sounds a little harsh but I think the fact you weren't aware of something that major kinda highlights it. Spend a few hours reading up on employee's rights, you'd be surprised just exactly how much it'll help you in the future - and avoid being taken advantage of too much.
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure