Should I stay or should I go?

Options
124»

Comments

• BunnieJ
    BunnieJ Posts: 418 Forumite
    Options
    bluenoseam wrote: »
    I'd suggest reading up about employment law, I did think you sounded a little....niave, sorry if that sounds a little harsh but I think the fact you weren't aware of something that major kinda highlights it. Spend a few hours reading up on employee's rights, you'd be surprised just exactly how much it'll help you in the future - and avoid being taken advantage of too much.

I guess I was being a little naive with regards to this. I haven't had an issue like this before, so never thought to read up on the law...

Being taken advantage of is definately something I don't want to happen in any future company!

I think the general consensus is to not mention anything to my manger and sit tight until a better opportunity comes along? I had kind of come to this decision myself as well; now I know I don't have any protection I don't want to cause any trouble!

I will keep the job search up for the next 5 months (will have been in my current place for a year by then), but if I'm really struggling I might have to consider asking for a pay review...

Hopefully I can squirrel away a bit of money (if I'm frugal) in case anything major happens and I find myself out of work!
  • polgara
    polgara Posts: 500 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The main thing that jumps out of this all is that you have been TUPEd across - therefore you are NOT on the same terms and conditions as the newly recruited receptionists. Do you know what the differences are? Do you get better sick pay/annual leave entitlements?

People have given you good advice about talking to your manager - you are obviously frustrated but you need a logical argument to present to them - and 'they get more than me so I want the same' won't wash it as you have different contracts.
  • BunnieJ
    BunnieJ Posts: 418 Forumite
    Options
    The main thing that jumps out of this all is that you have been TUPEd across - therefore you are NOT on the same terms and conditions as the newly recruited receptionists. Do you know what the differences are? Do you get better sick pay/annual leave entitlements?

Yes, as I understand it, we do have different contracts. We kept all our previous working conditions (apart from free meals as we no longer work for the restaurant). I'm not sure of the exact details for the new receptionist contracts. It's something I would have to find out by talking to my manager.

The thing that really grates on me is the fact that by being TUPEd across we have been pretty much hung out to dry by both employers! My previous company have no obligation to sort out our grievences with them as the problems just get transfered over to the new company, equally the new company get away with paying us peanuts as we're not on their contracts! :(
  • polgara
    polgara Posts: 500 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You haven't been hung out to dry - your employment rights were protected by TUPE. You have the right to raise a grievance with your new employer but first you need to SPEAK to your manager about this issue.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure