Airline Credit Cards Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Penelopa.Pitstop
    Penelopa.Pitstop Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 28 August 2012 at 2:45PM
    Options
    Airmiles usually don't come toghether with 0% promotions. Check BMI Credit Card - http://www.flybmi.com/bmi/en-gb/loyalty-programmes/bmi-credit-card-account/bmi-credit-card-account.aspx

It gives 3 months 0% on purchases and 12 months 0% for balance transfer. If 3 months will be enough to pay off the ring, then it's very good card. It offers 1.5 mile per £1 spent on it. You can transfer miles to BA Executive Club.

You will also get 20K miles when you spend £250 in first three months and there's no annual charge.
  • Blue_Max
    Blue_Max Posts: 725 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I applied for a bmi Plus Credit Card by mistake. Did not realise that it has annual fee. Application was approved. But I cancelled it before receiving the card. But they did send me a Diamond Club memebership number.

I applied again for an ordinary BMI Credit Card, got accepted and the two cards are on its way.
    Terms at their website say that 20,000 miles bonus is for new customers only.
    Will I be considered as a new customer?

If I get the 20,000 mile bonus, will I have to buy anything more (apart from the the £250 qualifying spend) to use the 20,000 miles when booking a flight?
    In other words, will a return flight be free as long as it is under 20,000 miles?

Now that BMI and BA are merging, will I still have 90 days to earn 20,000 miles bonus and convert to Avios?

Thanks!
  • rgajria
    rgajria Posts: 89 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, has anyone had any luck with the application form?
    seems to have been down (even from MBNA's site) since late october
    thanks in advance
  • Blue_Max
    Blue_Max Posts: 725 Forumite
    edited 1 November 2012 at 9:53PM
    Options
    rgajria wrote: »
    Hi, has anyone had any luck with the application form?
    seems to have been down (even from MBNA's site) since late october
    thanks in advance
    In September 2012, I applied for a 'bmi plus Credit Card Account' not realising that it incurr an annual fee. So I cancelled it. But both cards were sent to me within 3 weeks of applying.
    On 14 Oct 2012, I applied for normal bmi Credit Card account.
    I received both Amex and Visa on 24 Oct.
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The bmi credit card from MBNA is closed to new applicants.
  • pgregs1
    pgregs1 Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i have a tesco clubcard credit card at the moment and i am going to transfer my vouchers into virgin airmiles under the lastest offer of 50% more miles for the vouchers ,what i want to know is would i get more miles staying with the tesco card and opt in to transfer my vouchers to virgin from now on or get the virgin credit card which adds miles everytime you use it, the virgin card i am thinking about is the AtlanticVirgin White Credit Card Account ,
    we spend about £800/£1000 per month & i wondered if anyone knows which would say over the course of a year give me the most miles ??
  • sdmitch
    sdmitch Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    I'm surprised that no one appears to have mentioned the MBNA Aadvantage Credit Cards. In my experience they are infinitely better than any of the other airline credit cards, especially if you are flying Transatlantic (including the Caribbean).

With this card you earn miles on American Airlines through their frequent flyer programme (Aadvantage). AA were the pioneers of Airline Loyalty prorammes.

The MBNA account is similar to the Duo account in that you have an Amex card and a Visa Card. Amex spending earns 1.5 miles per £1 and Visa 1 mile per £2. You also get a signing bonus of 5,000 miles

Cheapest Transatlantic flights are 40,000 miles taxes with the off peak travel. Check out the AA website (www.AA.com) for details.

Here are the two VERY important advantages of the programme:

1. Transatlantic travel goes as far as Hawaii (yes you can get to Hawaii for 40,000 miles off peak!!! check this out as an example:

2. The dreaded taxes and surcharges on American Airlines are a fraction of those charged by BA & Virgin heres an example:

Return travel London HR to Los AngelesLAX in November is 40,000 taxes - £119.55 on American Airlines or £383.65 on BA

When you shop for flights on the American website, BA flights also show because of their affiliation as part of the One World alliance.

Trust me, this programme is infinitely better than any of the UK airlines programmes - I'm travelling direct to LA next month for 4 pax for 160,000 miles & £438 in taxes.

Here's the link for MBNA (and no I don't work for them or have shares in them!) http://www.mbna.co.uk/choose-credit-card/
  • Giblets
    Giblets Posts: 62 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just an update, I joined the BMI card scheme after the BA takeover (to take advantage of their generous joining scheme).
    I was disappointed to learn that it was closing (only to new customers apparently), and the points are non transferable.
    However, as an existing customer, I have just been informed that my rewards are increased to two 'destination miles' for Amex, and one for the Visa card, and they are transferable again.

These are directly transferable to Avios (1 to 1), so I am now getting a better rate than the Premium BA Amex card (only 1.5pts/£, without the £150 fee....result!
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Options
    Some discussion (and surprise) here:http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club/1448565-bmi-credit-cards-enhancements-mar-2013-inc-more-points-10-off-ba-flights.html

BMI stopped some weeks back. Diamond Club now only continues for the purpose of the MBNA card and all you can do with the points is transfer them to Avios.

Some have speculated that MBNA advanced purchased some miles and are now "using them up" before the DC contract ends. Who knows, but it does seem odd.

I've noticed that "BMI Diamond Club" has become "Diamond Club" when I log in to MBNA. I have the fee-free BMI Mastercard.
  • egpx
    egpx Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    Indeed it is most strange. The moribund Diamond Club's card now gives a better reward than BA's own premium card and without the fee. What you don't get of course is the companion voucher that you get with the BA card after spending £10,000 which, if used correctly, doubles the effectiveness of the points you've earned.

I've got the fee-free Diamond Club Amex and Visa and the BA Premium £150 fee Amex. So far I've only really used the DC Visa for spending at places which don't accept the BA Amex and the DC Amex hardly at all. Now the plan is to use the BA Amex until I've spent £10,000 and earned the companion voucher and then use the DC Amex thereafter whilst using the DC Visa for non-Amex spending throughout.

In effect the companion voucher is costing me 5000 avios by not using the DC Amex which is still worth it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure