Climbing the Mountain

Options

Comments

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Oh yuck - isn't it just the law of s0d that when you're already at a low ebb, something like that comes along to derail you? I know it won't help you for this time round now but have you now added it to your budget so you start putting money towards it from next month onwards?

Bay of E, Surveys, Anything coming payable from TCB or Quidco? Full on cupboard audit and look to beat the grocery budget fully into submission this month, any credit with energy suppliers that you can extract?
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • MistyMountainTop
    Options
    Thanks EssexH, I haven't yet put it in the budget for next year, I'm still in the panicky what-the-h-am-I-going-to-do mode. Thanks for the reminder!:o

We are well stocked for food, energy is on a metre so no returns there. All surveys that pay out have already been cashed in. My rounding-down savings have been put into the current account and the little I had in payfriend transferred over, too. I've listed a couple things on evilbay but they are all sub £10, I have more to do today and tomorrow but really don't think I have enough to sell to cover even half of it, and who knows if it will even sell. I'm struggling a bit getting the listings up, my head is still a bit foggy and I keep making mistakes.

Hub not impressed, says he told me about said bill a few months back (I don't remember any conversation about it) and as he is on limited hours there is nothing he can do to help. He's really not happy and his patience for me not being up to par is running very thin. He has health problems and I know part of the impatience is feeling powerless because he cannot do more but I already feel like a failure, him piling it on isn't helping. :(

I feel such a fool. I ordered some promotional material for my newish business a couple weeks ago thinking all was well, had I not done that then I wouldn't be quite so panicky now. It has been printed and will soon be here, so I can't undo it now. I am hoping I will be 100% and able to take on more work very soon but I'm also afraid if I push myself I may wind up back in bed. I don't know what to do for the best.

The only thing I can think of doing at the moment is to continue to plug away at trying to sell things and not spend any money at all. I'll have another look in my wardrobe tomorrow to see if there is anything else that can go - I know there are two pairs of boots in good condition that I don't wear as much as I'd like, I could prob get £50 total so that's something. I also have a nice handbag that can go, but we're not talking big money. I hate selling things I would really like to keep but needs must, etc. I doubt I'll ever forget this bill again, it's certainly highlighted just how close to the wind we are sailing. The budget has been keeping us ticking over but actual saving hasn't been happening as it should, and the emergency fund was used last month for an emergency and not replaced.
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Misty, so sorry that you are going through a bad patch, both health wise and financially. When we are below par/suffering with brain fog it is all too easy to miss something like this. I hope that it is some consolation that a lot of us do it from time to time. Be gentle with yourself and try not to let your OH's comments get you down too much, it will pass. (virtual hugs on the way:))
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Oh Misty, I feel for you lovely.

You're having a rough time of it at the moment.

Sending lots of positive vibes.

Hope you feel better soon too.

Xx
  • Scott_Weiland_2
    Options
    Hope everything picks up and improves Misty having a crap time is yuk
    Cashback Earnings YTD £46.04 Survey Earnings YTD £182.66
    "Always always train, be the best version of you that you can physically be"
  • jvr
    jvr Posts: 426 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Misty

First of all stop beating yourself up about this! If one of us had written it would you be telling us we were foolish and daft? I think everyone on these forums has made this mistake at one time or another let alone when feeling so foggy and unwell.
    Your doing everything you can to fix it and that is all you can do. But please stop being so harsh on yourself you have much better qualities than being 100% perfect all the time with money!
    Once again uncanny similarities with our OH's... he cannot cope if I am ill and gets really snappy like I am doing it to personally annoy him!

I can totally understand why you feel you can't just rest so maybe set some manageable jobs each day which help towards the money and when you have done those try allow yourself to rest

Hugs
    Debt: £14,000 now £2169
    Emergency Fund: 1000/ £1000
    :j
  • crunch_time
    crunch_time Posts: 1,353 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to hear you are not well Misty. Take it easy on yourself and stay positive.

Crunchy xx
    19/8/19 vs now Current Total debt £14,188 Savings £2757
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
    House stuff and improvements £4460 Virgin 2 £2740
  • MistyMountainTop
    Options
    Thank you all! I think a big part of feeling so down yesterday was the lack of sleep - I probably managed about 3 hours the night before. I went to bed fairly early last night and managed to have a bit of a lie in this morning, and feel much better for it.

I'm definitely brighter and thinking more logically today. I realised can raise the money if I sell a "tool of the trade" but I really want to avoid this if possible. It's something that I need and use in the side business, it would need to be replaced to take on more work and would likely cost twice what I sold this one for to replace. So that is a last resort and one I'd like to avoid if possible, but at least it is an option. I'm still listing things on evilbay and finding more that I can sell. I'm still doubting that it will come close to the total needed but at least I am taking some action, which has also made me feel a bit more in control.

Your comment made me laugh JVR - my hub does seem to think that I purposely get sick just to make his life harder. He's a good man really but there are times when I wonder what's going through his mind. I think he doesn't realise how much I do until I stop doing it.

Thanks again everyone, your support is really appreciated!
  • MistyMountainTop
    Options
    Still plugging along, feeling very uninspired by life at the moment. I know it's a hangover from being ill, so I'm just doing what I can and trying to move forward rather than stand still.

I've sold a few things on evilbay but not enough to make much of a difference. I'm going to spend the day getting more things listed and hopefully have some more money coming in soon.
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi Misty sorry that you have been so poorly, I think it is hard at this time of year to shake things off too. My immuno replacement therapy is beginning to work and everyone I meet says that I am looking so much better, which is great to hear, but in practice I am continually fighting all the passing bugs and permanently feel meh, as you mention lack of sleep is a killer too.

I can imagine that listing and photographing all the stuff to sell is a real chore, but keep plugging away, every £1 you can earn is a step in the right direction and it it is not forever, just a little bit of progress now with making the figures balance.

Rooting for you, keep going, you will win:D:D
    MM
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure