PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thank you for all the Birthday wishes I have had a really lovely day. I had loads of facebook messages as just about every family member is away on holiday DD and DDG touring America Grandson starting a new life with partner in Sweden One niece on Honeymoon in Portugal other one in Spain. Brother in Ireland but all back soon so more treats to look forward too.
    Had a fantastic all singing and dancing new sewing machine LOL it will take me forever and maybe need to go back to Uni to understand the instructions its a big step up from my old faithful 30year old singer that like me is a bit wobbly these days.
    Slimming World at target
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    same here about bits and pieces cba days, I enjoy then tbh

Meg, wow, come and join us, we have a fab active sewing thread and we will all want to read about your machine
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5570507

Slept like a baby last night, after looking like a minion while I knitted under bright light before bed, overspecs cutting out the blue light, broken arms so held on with ear elastics, was worth the effort

spelt flakes, an apricot and some 85% choc for breakfast. Later will have rest of breakfast, bit of pate on toast. Lunch will be pate and salad and later, a cooked meal but just fish/meat and veg and sometime in the day, the highlight, a piece of parkin

PN, am loving my new freezer arrangement, the in and out drawer
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kittie wrote: »

PN, am loving my new freezer arrangement, the in and out drawer

:)

I was fed last night, which is nice, no matter what you're fed...

No idea what I'll be eating today, still full from last night's meal, so I'll have to see how the day pans out.

Loads of things I could have.... but not even thinking about food yet.
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all.

Work today so not much to report on the CFO front. Sandwiches for lunch and thai red chicken curry with rice for tea - I only have to cook the rice when I'm home :)
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    kittie wrote: »

Meg, wow, come and join us, we have a fab active sewing thread and we will all want to read about your machine
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5570507
    I have a sewing machine too Kittie but haven't made any garments for years. I keep thinking about dusting it off and making some things like aprons and oven gloves to get me going again. The only problem these days is lack of money for material so I crochet as I've got loads of wool in stock as it were ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    aprons for christmas sunnygirl, that is what I am making, doesn`t take more than a scrap for pinny and can then make frills from another scrap. Come join us, interest only is needed, don`t have to be actively sewing. Look around charity shops for large dresses/skirts for fabric, the older the better
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 August 2017 at 11:06AM
    Options
    SunnyGirl wrote: »
    The only problem these days is lack of money for material so I crochet as I've got loads of wool in stock as it were ;)

If it's just practise you want, then ask on Facebook for "old clothes or offcuts for free please.... so I can have a fresh dabble". Or keep an eye in charity shops for the £1 rail and cheap sheets/duvet covers, ditto car boots. The advantage of a local buying/selling group on Facebook is somebody might have some proper material they've got to give away that they've simply not got round to posting on FB about yet.... so they might see your advert and they might be round the corner with heaps to offload to you.

Quilt covers are a good amount of material and you can pick up some really cheap (if somebody's clearing their own stuff and not selling for profit).

Not saying "Go out you'll find the perfect stuff..." that never happens, but just keep an eye out and you will eventually find something.... and you might be lucky and find something great.

Anybody remember, years ago, cutting out lots of little 6-sided pieces of material to make a quilt? Anybody ever get past sewing the first 3-4 pieces together?
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Made a large pot of beef and veg stew yesterday and have some for tonight to finish it up.

Should be at least four of us for tomorrow at lunchtime and bored with traditional Sunday lunch. DD bought me a cook book for one person dishes for £1 each and fancy the recipes for chicken tikka masala, bombay potatoes and roasted vegetables with flatbreads.

There are chicken breasts and mince in the freezer so I will take that out in a few minutes to defrost and then go shopping in the afternoon for any bits and bobs I need like veg or single cream etc.

Dds have suggested I sew bunting for the end bedroom upstairs to distract from the wonky walls :o and also to cheer up the conservatory. I found it was actually cheaper to buy the bunting from The Range online then to buy fat quarters and tape or ribbon. It also means I can concentrate on other things like hand sewing and shortening the hems of the living room and bedroom curtains. I also fancy the idea of making a patchwork lap quilt for the winter, perhaps using old single duvet covers etc.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Morning all

Decided to have an indoors day catching up on things I should have done but shoved into the CBA file

Had toast and marmalade for breakfast, a nice change and touch of the s0ddits after weigh in this morning following the yesterday's cake fest :mad:

Stewed the apples that have been waiting patiently, should do nicely for future puds with Greek yoghurt

Lunch uncertain, think it will be cheese salady sarnie

Dinner uncertain, the LO meat loaf is likely with steamed fresh veg because I'm scheduled to be out & about Sunday & Monday, no doubt junky food will dominate so need to get some decent scran inside me before then
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The upside of cfo is that we don`t have to cook for an army. :D I have beetroots and cannot make myself like them in salads, so am cooking the lot and will freeze in approx 125g packets for beetroot/chocolate cake. Plenty of recipes on the net. I`ll be having my cake and eating it. Got to be honest, I much prefer my own hm cake

Farway, I have 2 fallen bramleys to stew, tomorrow, done enough today. I also love them with yoghurt

That CBA file farway. I have a daily to do` list maker from sainsburys. sometimes I put stuff in there that I have already done, for the feel-good factor
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure