Virgin Media Contract rip off

Options
Hello,

I'm sure other people are in a worse situation than me but at least I can ask if there is any way to get out of this rip off...

I've started with VM in May 2013, having a broadband contract only ( no phone line, no TV, no extra services). They put the prices up several times but due to the hassle involved in a switch over to a different provider, I had to stay with them.

On 1st August last year, we moved house and I rang them up to relocate the services. I've been then told that I have to start a new 12 month contract and I agreed to do so. However, I've been mis-sold the product as they did push for a TV deal as well. I've been told that the price would be the same anyway. Even though I've made it clear that I DON'T NEED TV as freeview is enough for me, I've been told that the price would be the same anyway.

After 1 year though, they started to charged me extra for the TV (about £12/month). When I rang them up and they said that the contract is for 18 months and after 12 months I have to pay extra for the TV package. I told them that I've never used their TV services anyway as I don't need them but they said that we verbally agreed to such a contract. When I explained them that I made it clear that I don't need the TV 1 year ago, they didn't want to admit it and eventually I'm being forced to pay extra £12/month for the remaining 6 months of my contract... Completely rip off IMO and I've got no way out of this rubbish.

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

Comments

• AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The only way would be to dig out the recorded call, if you are sure you made it clear.

But you recieved a letter with the contract on it, which should have the cost clear post 12m.

Either

1) Take it on the chin. Any changes now will restart a 12m contract, so be very careful there.

2) I think they are increasing prices, so you have an excuse to leave within 30 days of notification.
    Before you rush and leave, make sure you know where you are going to go to and the cost. VM could offer you a deal. Check the paperwork if they do
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Price increase .
    1. Switch provider – you CAN leave your contract penalty-free
    According to rules imposed by regulator Ofcom, if there are mid-contract increases to your monthly line rental, broadband or mobile bill that weren't announced before you joined, you can cancel your contract without paying early termination charges.
    This normally only applies to contracts taken out after 23 January 2014. However, Virgin has chosen to allow all customers affected by these changes to leave, regardless of when they joined.
    Virgin's formally notifying customers by letter – you've then 30 days from receipt to let Virgin know if you want to leave. From that point there's a 30-day notice period, meaning you'll have to pay for this many days as a minimum. If you've paid for a year's line rental upfront you also won't be able to get a refund.
  • kokolino23
    Options
    Would they really have a look for the recorded call ?! I very much doubt it as I work in telecoms and I know how much hassle would be to dig out for it. So it's my word against their, there is only one winner here and unfortunately not me.
    I've never had a letter with the contract from them.
    They did increase the prices towards the end of 2015 so I had missed the opportunity to cancel at the time. If they'll do it now, I won't anymore, that's for sure.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't leave them out of spite.

Have a clear understanding of where you are going to move to and its costs first.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure