PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• mavvymoo
    mavvymoo Posts: 2,152 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    kazwookie wrote: »
    Mav, love it, I thought it was kids you sent on errands to get them out of the way! :)

Hope the fete goes well, which day is it? If I am off work that day, sods law says I wont be, but if I am, I will pop over and support / help / get in the way!! :)

Kaz its the 30th July next Saturday starts at 4pm :D You would be very welcome to help/get in the way Im happy with either :D As I am drowning under about 1500 items of clothing :rotfl:You may not even find me until about 7pm ;) Its a kondoing fans nightmare.

If you cant come give me a shout next time you are here it would be great to have a catch up.

Shame Mrs MP is up this weekend instead of next but a meet up is planned for August when she is up for her Hols :)

Such a lovely day here today again so glad it will be good for her special weekend away with her DH :)

Mav x

Debt free and Mortgage free thank you to all for your encouragement and advice
    :j
    Crazy Clothes challenge £300/£48 and 5 months /0 without spending :T

• mavvymoo
    Options
    WOW I am so popular :D Just had a text from a friend who is wanting to move here. it just said ' You are viewing a house for me today :D) Details to follow :rotfl:

Good job I love her to bits ;)

My life has become so much 'busier' Since kondoing thought it worked the other way round.

Mav x

• Tete_en_l'Air
    Tete_en_l'Air Posts: 7,134 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mavvy your story about your dad made me smile, bless him, I think we can all relate to his thinking!

Well the last couple of days have been quite productive: a table, mattress, old BBQ and pouffe were picked up by the council and the recycling was collected yesterday so that was 4x black backs of garden waste, all my binned and shredded paperwork and an enormous bag of cardboard waste including six old shoebexes which had been kept Just In Case.

Next I need to look at emptying some furniture of dad's stuff (clothes, paperwork and general bric a brac) so I can either get it [the furniture] on ebay or get it picked up by the local crisis charity (like a foodbank but furniture).
    Weightloss: 14.5/65lb
  • oceanspirit
    oceanspirit Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Was awake early this morning - pesky fly - so started pulling stuff out in bedroom for bedroom kondo Take 2. Have decided to get rid of large bookcase in there and use smaller one from kitchen instead. Kitchen one needs to have its contents rehomed or kondoed so will do that today.

Large form has been filled in and posted this week so it's on to tax return now to get rid of that this week. Then can get back to looking at the quotes and plans for building work as they're not quite right yet. Will know when it finally hits the spot!

Have also decided to get rid of large desk in office and replace it with smaller. Next decision will be whether to keep filing cabinet and empty box files from shelf or keep box files and get rid of filing cabinet... decisions, decisions...
    Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Made a good start on the till receipt piles before work, and got to grips with some filing too, so there is progress. Movement in the right direction anyway, even though the end of the paperwork category is nowhere near in sight.

But my next project will be to kondo a good six inches off the width of my duvet cover. For some strange reason it seems Ikea's idea of kingsize is not the same as ours. Ikea's kingsize would probably match our superking. Unless, with it being 100% cotton, they allowed room for shrinkage, but it hasn't shrunk despite innumerable washes. So I need to put in a new side seam and trim off the excess. I got rid of my machine long ago due to its old age and brittle plastic knobs but DD has a new one, so I will borrow that to get the job done.

I'm finding that stating my intentions on here speeds things up a bit!:D

Serendipitious, we've had quite a few Ikea duvets covers and most have been all right as to size, but we did have one pair of single covers (OH and I have separate duvets) which I had to take eight inches of width off! I was so very glad I had a sewing machine! And OH's duvet is an Ikea one and they were far too wide for it!
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Mav,

I have news for you, you are house viewing with me, when I eventually get sorted, 2 pairs of eyes and all that................. :)

I did come up this week, for a visit!

Cannot make the 30th but I think my SIL is planning to pop along

x
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • mavvymoo
    Options
    Kaz I would be very happy to come with you on viewings I have had plenty of experience now :D This will be the 7th or 8th I have viewed for them :) The one they fell in love with sold in about 1 day with a bidding war on it. So I told them just to forget it and something more perfect will come along :) Lifes to short for that carp ;)

Shame you wont be around on the 30th get your SIL to say hello if she can find me under the clothes :D and ask her to tell all her friends for me as I so want to hit my 2k target :)

Also fancy telling me you were here this week after you have been and gone ;)Let me know next time :)

Mav x

• Serendipitious
    Serendipitious Posts: 6,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ivyleaf wrote: »
    Serendipitious, we've had quite a few Ikea duvets covers and most have been all right as to size, but we did have one pair of single covers (OH and I have separate duvets) which I had to take eight inches of width off! I was so very glad I had a sewing machine! And OH's duvet is an Ikea one and they were far too wide for it!

Glad it's not just me! Clearly whoever makes the covers up for Ikea is very generous in terms of fabric!

In the old, old, old days (pre kondo) I've have kept the remnants for 'something useful' to be made out of it one day, but now I guess the offcut will either make good polishing cloths or will go to c/shop ragbag.

I have been given all this year's school polo shirts by DD. These are fit for nothing except cleaning rags. They'll all make single use bathroom cloths - each one will clean the basin, then the shower, then the loo, then get thrown into the bin, it feels more hygienic that way than having cleaning cloths hanging around.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Siebrie wrote: »
    We are back from a lovely six days in Echternach, Luxembourg. We had rented a 'camping barrel', a round wooden cabin for four.
    Hobbit holes! Above ground :j:j:j
    I would have told DH thank you for cooking this for me...what are you planning on having for dinner? :D
    (Karmacat and I think alike :beer: )
    More :j:j:j proper boundaries are important :rotfl:
    Worked on shredding paper. I think it breeds.
    I agree! It really bulks up, too :o

In spite of the heat here (though it wouldn't have been hot to you, I suppose, mila!) my sister and I finally kondoed the two final storm-damaged fence panels that fell onto my paving. All in the tip for recycling now, thank heavens. We also kondoed a load of family business, which breeds even worse than shredded paper ... not too bad now, but I'll be researching on here all afternoon for ways of making a bob or two when you have lots of energy.
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    School hols are here and I'm back to play :D I have 6 weeks full of possibility stretching ahead of me and I intend to achieve miracles!

I've started in the study and am currently re-visiting paperwork. This category was already pretty organised so it is simply a case of further purging.

The biggest category I reduced was receipts. With nothing built to last these days and most items only coming with a 12 month warranty (which often isn't worth the paper it is written on), I've had a ruthless purge, keeping only those for things still in warranty.

Against the grain of received wisdom, I have kept my instruction manuals (when something goes wrong, it is easier to have something tangible than having to faff about trying to find a manual online IMHO). I have streamlined these by getting rid of all of the non-English bits and they are neatly corralled in a box file.

I have got rid of the statements for my personal account which I use for my "pocket money", as I can access 6 years worth online. I don't want to switch to online statements as I always have a good read through of the paper one to make sure that our money is going where we think it is, and I doubt I would do this as thoroughly with an online statement. However for our CC I have downloaded those I can and have got rid of the paper versions.

The problem now is that my poor little shredder can't keep up!
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family