PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Do you use "white" & "coloured" laundry powder/tablets/liquid?

Options
Do you use "white" & "coloured" laundry powder/tablets/liquid?

Do you think their is any difference?

I use Daz for my whites & Ariel colour for my colours (& fairy for my woolens & delicates), but I wonder if their really is a difference?

I buy Daz as this has always marketed itself as THE white powder, I buy Ariel colour because I like the smell better than the other colour brands.

I buy tablets because I think powders & powder tablets work better than liquid, anyone else find this?
I get the tablets because I would be heavy handed without a measured dose & tablets are more MSE for me.

I don't like the very thick concentrated fabric conditioners, as I think they make the drawer messy & are gloopy. I like comfort or lenor blue, GOTTA BE BLUE (I'm a bit traditional, did use the jojoba oil one for a while but gone off it).

Love Vaporesse/ironing water, but only buy it when its cheap, it would feel really wasteful to be filing my big ole stream generator up with it at full price:eek:

Comments

• Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I use either Ariel colour liquid tabs, or Tesco/Asda own brand ones. Being old goths, we have a lot of black clothes and I've found they don't fade as quickly using the colour tabs. I also use them for my whites washes too.

I use the liquid ones because I've found that the powder tabs don't dissolve properly in a quick 30degree wash.
  • Bitsy_Beans
    Bitsy_Beans Posts: 9,640 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use Daz for everything. I've tried using the coloured powders and not noticed an improvement in the fading of darker colours so have gone back to one powder for all. I buy a huge box from Costco so very MSE as I NEVER put in the full "dose".
    I use vinegar or nothing for conditioner.
    I don't use ironing water but living in soft water area there doesn't seem much need.
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife :D Louise Brooks
    All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.
    Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
  • Marcie
    Marcie Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    I use Surf (because I like the smell!) for whites and own brand - usually Aldi - colour soap powder. I also never use the full recommended amount either but do add soda crystals to the powder and vinegar to the rinse cycle.

Vinegar is much better for towels as conditioner on towels greatly reduces the absorbency.
  • jinky67
    jinky67 Posts: 47,812 Forumite
    Options
    I use anything at all...usually Asda's own brand or their smartprice powder.

Low odour:grin:

I hate the fake smell washing powder gives your clothes, and i never use conditioner.

I never use the full dose either, and find it makes no difference what powder you use...they never get out all the stains anyway:rolleyes:
    :heartpulsOnce a Flylady, always a Flylady:heartpuls
  • Heath84
    Heath84 Posts: 579 Forumite
    Options
    We use ariel colour tablets and ariel green ones for whites. Our machine doesnt seem to like anything like gel tablets as the gel bit seems to just find its way into the rim and go all gloopy, likewise with the casing bit from liquitabs.
    Using Lenor at the moment - really like the smell of the pink one when the clothes are drying!
    Dont use fabric conditioner on towels either as they dont absorb much water then.
  • noonesperfect
    noonesperfect Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    Options
    Daz for everything but towels and my undies - for those I use Fairy. Both big box powder. I don't use recommended amount either.
    I like lenor purple or yellow, but don't use it in the towel/undie wash.
    :wave:
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Options
    We use Ariel liquitabs - green for whites (with a bit of soda crystals added) and purple for coloureds, no fabric conditioner but a bit of white vinegar for towels & woolies.
  • lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    Options
    I vary what I use according to offers. The last towels I bought had a label stating not to use fabric conditioner if you want fluffy towels (or words to that effect). I've stopped using it and don't notice any difference in the end result.
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi MrsE,

I use different washing powder for colours than I do for whites, simply because I have found from experience, that using powder suitable for whites faded the coloured items more quickly.

Luckily none of us have sensitive skin so I buy whatever powder is on offer or cheaper in my local supermarket and use half the recommended amount and add the same amount of soda crystals. It definitely gives a better result than the powder alone.

I do use fabric conditioner, because I like the smell but not on towels. For them I either don't use it or when I remember I add vinegar to the machine.

These threads may interest you:

Washing powder v liquid

Dare you stop using washing powder?

`Improving ` value washing powder?

Own brand washing powder ?

Washing Powder cheaper?

Fabric conditioner

Pink
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The 'colour' products do not normally contain the bleaches and optical brighteners (small reflective particles) that are in 'white' products. This reduces fading and avoids the clothes looking dull from the optical brighteners. White products can also contain small amounts of blue dye as in very tiny amounts it makes whites look whiter. You'll see the little blue grains in some powders.

I do also find powders much better for washing in the machine, but liquids are easier for hand washing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure