Job Seekers Allowence Eligibility??

Options

Comments

• Oldernotwiser
    Options
    Hi,

I will shortly be made redundant from a position abroad where I have been working for a few years (no UK contributions). I will have to return to the UK and wonder about the following :-
    1) Will I be eligible for Income based JSA?
    2) I have around £13000 savings which will affect the JSA - could I not just pay this off my mortgage?
    3) I Inherited a flat years ago which I kind of view as my pension. Will this affect the JSA in any way (ie - will I be expected to sell it before I get any JSA?).

Thanks.

You will be ineligible for any means tested benefits because of the amount of capital you have. If you try to dispose of this capital you will be treated as if you still had it as far as benefits are concerned.

You need to find a job or live off your savings until you do so.
  • AzimScot
    AzimScot Posts: 265 Forumite
    Options
    well I left my job of my own accord for the following:-

Harrassment with work
    Not a proper heating/cooling system in place affected my health
    Verbal Abuse
    Religious sniggers

Will I still be declined a JSA or are these just causes?
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    AzimScot wrote: »
    well I left my job of my own accord for the following:-

Harrassment with work
    Not a proper heating/cooling system in place affected my health
    Verbal Abuse
    Religious sniggers

Will I still be declined a JSA or are these just causes?

It will be up to decision maker to decided if it is referred to them. They will contact you for your side of things and also contact the employer to see what they have to say. If you do receive a sanction you can appeal to an independent tribunal.
  • rollonmarch
    Options
    hello all, i am new to this site n not sure how to put apost on here i hope i have done this right but need some advise please, my dd boyfriend who is 19 and in his second year further education has been told he can no longer get EMA, he has been to job center and they said he cannot get jsa either as he is in education he is looking for partime work also but cant even get 10 hours a week anywhere, his dad has also said he has to leave home by the end of the month as he is not giving him any money towards his keep, just wondering if anyone has any advice as to what he is entitled too if anything, it is a sad state of affairs when if you dont work or try to further your education you can get aclaim in he has nothin bless, would love to be able to give him some advice,
    thankyou n sorry if i have done this wrong
    rollonmarch
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    hello all, i am new to this site n not sure how to put apost on here i hope i have done this right but need some advise please, my dd boyfriend who is 19 and in his second year further education has been told he can no longer get EMA, he has been to job center and they said he cannot get jsa either as he is in education he is looking for partime work also but cant even get 10 hours a week anywhere, his dad has also said he has to leave home by the end of the month as he is not giving him any money towards his keep, just wondering if anyone has any advice as to what he is entitled too if anything, it is a sad state of affairs when if you dont work or try to further your education you can get aclaim in he has nothin bless, would love to be able to give him some advice,
    thankyou n sorry if i have done this wrong
    rollonmarch

As he's now 19 he needs to apply for the Adult Learning Grant (ALG) which is the adult equivalent of EMA and is also worth £30 per week. He will be ineligible for JSA as he's a full time student; most people in his situation live at home and manage on the ALG and part time work, giving their parents money for their keep out of that.
  • Methusela
    Methusela Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    My daughter was widowed five years ago and was unable to work as she had three young daughters. Since then she has been receiving Income Support (non contribution based) and Widows Benefit.
    A short time ago her youngest daughter reached the age of 12, at which time my daughter was told she was no longer entitled to Income Support and would have to sign on and look for work. She was told that until she managed to find a job she could apply for Jobseekers Allowance to replace her Income Support.
    That sounded fine until, following an interview she received a letter to say that she was not entitled to Jobseekers Allowance because she was receiving Widows Benefit.
    I am looking for advice about this because when I looked at the Citizens Advice website, it said that the eligibility requirements for Jobseekers Allowance and Income Support are exactly the same. So if this is correct and my daughter previously got Income Support as well as her Widows Benefit, why is she not entitled to both Jobseekers Allowance and Widows Benefit now?
    I am having great difficulty contacting my local Citizens Advice and wondered if anyone out there was sufficiently in the know to answer my question.
  • MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 6,854 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think you may find that she was not entitled to the IS as she was getting the widows benefit, won't be the 1st time a mistake such as this has been made.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Options
    MX5huggy wrote: »
    I think you may find that she was not entitled to the IS as she was getting the widows benefit, won't be the 1st time a mistake such as this has been made.

I must admit, I thought IS was reduced pound for pound when someone received Widowed Mothers Benefit.

However, it's not really my area so perhaps someone with more knowledge could confirm.
  • dodedora
    Options
    Peter Pan, you seem to know what you are talking about. Please forgive me for putting a post onto a reply, not sure how to put a post on here yet!!!
    I need advice, I want to go on a holiday with my dad, only to Abergele, he is 84 and cannot go alone, for obvious reasons, am I entitled to claim my JSA, whilst taking a week's holiday, not at my expense, my father owns the caravan????
    Any help would be extremely appreciated.
    Thanks...x
  • Oldernotwiser
    Options
    dodedora wrote: »
    Peter Pan, you seem to know what you are talking about. Please forgive me for putting a post onto a reply, not sure how to put a post on here yet!!!
    I need advice, I want to go on a holiday with my dad, only to Abergele, he is 84 and cannot go alone, for obvious reasons, am I entitled to claim my JSA, whilst taking a week's holiday, not at my expense, my father owns the caravan????
    Any help would be extremely appreciated.
    Thanks...x

As long as you are staying in the UK you are allowed a maximum of 2 weeks' holiday whilst claiming JSA.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure