Data allowance within europe

Options
Hi
Which operator / tariff offers the most data allowance within Europe ?

I know O2 did offer unlimited data within Europe As a special promotion but I missed that.

Would prefer sim only

Comments

• Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    Three UK provide it for no additional fee for those on their standard (not discounted) tariffs. I believe all others require an additional fee.
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    All the networks will have to offer free EU roaming from 15th June, most are reluctant to discuss what they are going to offer.

Don't jump into a new contract too readily!
  • dazzaofdagenham
    Options
    All the networks will have to offer free EU roaming from 15th June, most are reluctant to discuss what they are going to offer.

Don't jump into a new contract too readily!

Is that calls.texts and data or subject to terms and conditions
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Buzby wrote: »
    Three UK provide it for no additional fee for those on their standard (not discounted) tariffs. I believe all others require an additional fee.

I wouldn't recommend Three at Home for someone considering much data use as the service is throttled so badly it's virtually unusable for anything beyond a bit of Facebook and whatsapp.

One example article
    http://jmcomms.com/2015/11/02/sort-it-out-three-using-data-abroad-feels-nothing-like-at-home

Vodafone are offering the full allowance to be used across Europe on new contracts and on existing contracts from the end of next month iirc.

All networks will have to do similar from June (for at least the next 20 months or so).
    ====
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They aren't offering free roaming. It will be calls,data and text at the same rates as the home country. Whether foreign calls etc will be part of your package allowance or not is not definite yet for all providers. So it could still impact you financially
  • d123
    edited 23 April 2017 at 12:22PM
    Options
    unforeseen wrote: »
    They aren't offering free roaming. It will be calls,data and text at the same rates as the home country. Whether foreign calls etc will be part of your package allowance or not is not definite yet for all providers. So it could still impact you financially

I'm unsure what you're trying to say, but the law says that the allowance has to be applied in all EU countries exactly as it is at home.
    A compromise was reached earlier today following final negotiations between the European Parliament, the Council of ministers and the European Commission. It foresees:

The end of roaming charges in June 2017. When travelling in the EU, mobile phone users will pay the same price as at home, with no extra charges.
    Strong net neutrality rules protecting the right of every European to access Internet content, without discrimination.
    https://ec.europa.eu/unitedkingdom/news/agreement-end-roaming-charges-june-2017_en

There is a formula for AYCE type allowances:
    19. I have unlimited data at home. How do I know the volume of roam like at home data that I get?

If your national mobile bundle includes unlimited data, your operator must provide you with a large volume of roam like at home data depending on the price of your mobile bundle.

Your operator should clearly inform you of this roam like at home data allowance. In case you use more data while roaming than the data allowance foresees, you may have to pay a small charge (See also question 21).

If you want to check the operator’s calculation, here is how: the roaming data volume must be at least twice the volume obtained by dividing the price of your mobile bundle (excluding VAT) by €7.7. For your information, €7.7 is the maximum price that your operator has to pay the foreign operator for 1 GB of data when you are abroad in the EU during 2017. This means that you may get more roam like at home data than the volume your operator can purchase with your monthly subscription from the foreign operator whose network you are using abroad.

Example: At home, you have a mobile bundle including unlimited calls, SMS and data for €42 (€35 excluding 20% VAT). When travelling in the EU, you get roam like at home for unlimited calls and SMS, and at least 9.1 GB of data (2*(35 / 7.7) =9.1).

https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/frequently-asked-questions-roam-home

Three IE are trying to get clever with a twist to the allowance but their regulator is already making threatening noises about the plan.
    ====
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    Is that calls.texts and data or subject to terms and conditions

You will have to read the small print in the contract.

I'm currently in Spain using Three's "feel at home", as D123 said, the data rate on Three is very variable - in Torrevieja it's useless, away from the holiday spots it is often quite good.

Vodafone and EE include local calls from your bundle when in the EU. Three currently do not. It's all very volatile at the moment, Voda made the first real move on proper EU roaming, the rest will move eventually.

Keep your powder dry and see what is offered.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    I'm unsure what you're trying to say, but the law says that the allowance has to be applied in all EU countries exactly as it is at home.

https://ec.europa.eu/unitedkingdom/news/agreement-end-roaming-charges-june-2017_en

A fair use clause for AYCE type allowances will be allowed, but it's going to have to be higher than any offered allowance, in Three UK's case more than 30GB.

Three IE are trying to get clever with a twist to the allowance but their regulator is already making threatening noises about the plan.

They may well be the same price but that does not mean that the need to be within your allowance
  • d123
    Options
    They may well be the same price but that does not mean that the need to be within your allowance

It means exactly that, eu countries have to be treated exactly as your home country is.
    The end of holiday bill shock: Using your mobile phone in the EU will cost no more than at home as roaming fees are scrapped

Phone users on contract will be able to use their monthly allowance abroad
    Cost of calls, texts and data in the EU will drop in 2016 and disappear in 2017
    Move will boost businesses offering services to people travelling abroad
    Roaming will still apply outside the EU

Britons travelling abroad in the EU will no longer face extra charges to use their mobile phones, following a ground-breaking deal announced today.
    All mobile phone users throughout the EU will be able to make calls, send text messages and go online wherever they are without facing extra charges.

Anyone on a phone contract with a monthly allowance for texts, minutes or data will be able to use their plan even while they are travelling.

It means Britons will be able to phone friends and family while travelling, send pictures and update their social media without paying more than they would at home.

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-3144324/The-end-holiday-bill-shock-Using-mobile-phone-EU-cost-no-home-roaming-fees-scrapped.html#ixzz4f4L8ol7s
    ====
  • d123
    Options

Direct from the EU
    1. Is it really true that I will not pay anything extra when I travel and use my smartphone in the EU?

Yes. Your communications (phone calls, SMS, data) made from another EU country will be covered in your national bundle: the minutes, SMS and gigabytes of data that you consume abroad in the EU will be charged or deducted from the volumes of your national tariff plan exactly as if you were at home (in the country where you live, work or study).

Contrary to the past, you will not have to pay anything extra. No bill shock anymore. Whether you use your mobile phone while periodically abroad in the EU or in the country where you live will not make any difference. You will roam like at home.

https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/frequently-asked-questions-roam-home
    ====
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport