MoneySaving Poll: Would you bend down to pick up a penny?

Options
Poll started 29 November 2016

Would you bend down to pick up a penny?

These days when many refuse to pick up their change in coppers, how much would it have to be for you to bend down and pick up money lying on the ground?

What do you do?

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks! :)

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Not only do they all add up, but it's rewarding exercise. (Free floorshow for anyone watching unless you bunny dip, so good for more than one heart strategically timed & placed.)

Just be careful when training toddlers on reins to round up shrapnel, as a sudden lurch after a coin can do evil things to the lower back.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,798 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The results are much what I would expect for a poll on MSE. I would expect a poll on something like Facebook to have quite a different response.
  • Kered
    Kered Posts: 3,531 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I always pick up money when I see it, from pennies to notes, I was lucky enough to find one of the new plastic five pound notes last week when out with the dog :)
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Picked up a penny in the ladies' toilets yesterday :) It got washed under the tap when I washed my hands. So only 'eurgh' for a minute.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • Brorabongo
    Options
    Find a Penny, pick it up, all day long you'll have good luck.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It seems I'm in the minority I don't bother picking up coins I see on the floor (unless they are mine).

I saw a 20p coin a few weeks ago on the pavement but I didn't bother picking it up and thought I would leave it for someone who gets excited at stuff like that because they will enjoy it more!.

I have also managed to return 3 lots of money I've found to the owners. One was a £5 note, one was over £500 in notes and one lot was around £1.20. It's far more satisfying returning the money especially the look of surprise of the person who i gave the £1.20 back too!.
  • GingerBob_3
    Options
    Interesting point about returning money ... what the thinking on this scenario: you find a wallet in the street with £500 cash in it. How do you go about returning it to the owner?

Sorry - off topic slightly.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Now that i'm getting old, the problem is if i bend down, i struggle to get back up again.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • lisa110rry
    lisa110rry Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I pick up all money and generally give it to charity, although the last time I found a fiver I can't remember what I did with it.

I have a little pot near my washing machine and any found shrapnel goes in there. We also have a hospice shop in the village to they eventually receive the found money.
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
    In other words, Don't Panic!
  • skeltongary
    Options
    My wife and I call it Pennies From Heaven.

We're so into it that we have competing Excel Spreadsheets with graphs and all sorts on it.

This year so far (nearly the end now) I've found £9.17 and my wife has accumulated £18.24! (Grrr).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure