The Cutting Down / Giving Up Booze Thread (Part 14)

Options

Comments

• cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Morning all, 28/21 for me please.
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • CuppaTea
    CuppaTea Posts: 1,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    AlexLK wrote: »
    Thanks all. :)

Another AF evening, despite having dinner with my parents this evening (they always have wine with dinner which is probably where I get it from :rotfl:). Father asked me tonight if I thought I ever had a drink problem. I told him I know I used to drink too frequently and heavily meaning at one point I realised it was a problem which I addressed. Though at the time I'm not sure I'd admit having a drink problem. During the early days on here I found it very difficult not to drink and was adamant I was only interested in saving money.

Hi Alex, wow put you on the spot there. I admire your honesty.
    Live for the moment and plan for the future
  • CuppaTea
    CuppaTea Posts: 1,331 Forumite
    Options
    19/18

I think that might be me done for the month. I’m out tonight and unsure about Saturday.

28 for October please shaggy. Thanks for all you do.
    Live for the moment and plan for the future
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My drinking had become a problem but I'm not sure when I crossed the line from being someone who drank too much sometimes to someone who had a problem. I knew for at least five years that it had become a problem before I did anything practical about it, although I did start looking for answers on the internet and visiting this thread was one of those things. I'm pretty sure most people who give up altogether probably spend a bit of time looking for solutions before deciding which course of action is most likely to give them the outcome they want, but I have no proof of that. I often think that the people who visit us only once, or post a few times and then disappear are in the category of knowing they probably should do something but can't quite get to where they want to be - yet. I was one of them and didn't start posting daily for years after that first post.

The trick about stopping smoking is to never give up giving up; if the current figures are to be believed (and I do) most people find a way to stop eventually. I'm not sure if it's the same about booze, although I did hear that the success rate with one evangelical-type anti-alcohol organisation is about 7%, whereas people who decide to do it on their own by knitting their own support network like this thread have a 50% success rate. There is a distinct possibility that the difference in those numbers may be simply down to at what stage of the process of killing oneself with booze one seeks a solution, though. Had I gone on much longer, say a year or two, I don't think I'd have been strong enough to stop altogether. A sobering thought, as they say.
    Jolly well done cuppatea!

Declaring early for 15/21 tonight. I can no longer hit my target of 21 this month but I'm happy with my improvement these last few months. Having a higher monthly target is all about getting to 150 for the year and getting my dancing banana smiley! I have already had as many AFDs in 9 months this year as I managed in 12 months last year which feels good.

I think part of why I've done better is putting my days into outlook at the start of the month. Literally 1 at 5pm on the Monday, 2 on Tuesday etc. It quickly made me see the impact of an unplanned drinking weekday when I had to plan a Friday or Sunday AF instead. :eek:

I'm still not where I want to be but the other thing that has helped is it now seems closer to normal not to open my bottle of white wine each evening. I try not to tempt fate by keeping it at room temperature rather than in the fridge but at least it's (mostly!) ok to have it in the house now. Unlike cheese!

The fact I'm sleeping better and perhaps running less on caffeine and adrenaline is helping too. I cut out coffee except 1 every 3 weeks and probably also get better sleep when I stay alcohol free.

I want to sit down and calculate a realistic plan to get to 150 days before the party season gets underway.

I am really grateful to this thread, Shaggy and all of you posting on here. I often don't post much text these days(probably just as well given this essay!!) but always read along and find you all so helpful in my struggles to change. You have helped me think through things related to booze that I would not have thunk alone. You guys are all great. :T

WBF, I think that post's brilliant, the whole thing. It takes a lot of thought and effort to take back control of our lives and you've illustrated exactly how you broke down all the components in yours.

The booze is just the tip of the iceberg, and once we've got that well and truly in our sights we can deal with areas that seem more peripheral - having a plan, caffeine, sleep, whether or not to have easy access to our favourite tipple, and finally the cheese issue. It all adds up to a whole new way of life, none of which seems possible when we're at the point of knowing we have to do something if we want to change our life for the better.

Post as little or as much as you want - every contribution helps.

Welcome back, Alex. :wave: It's good to see you posting again. Interesting that your father opened up the conversation.

29/30 please, Shaggy.
    Better is good enough.
  • Eltee12
    Options
    Morning All

Calling early for September, total will be 15/18
    and target of 25 for October please.

Thanks

El
    2018 AFD 23/240
    2018 CCC #11 £38.40/£250
    Mortgage-free since 2013

Debt-free since Nov 2017
  • sukeyboo
    sukeyboo Posts: 2,057 Forumite
    Options
    I did manage an AF yesterday in the end so that takes me to 12/10 - that will be it now for September as I have planned drinking days for today & tomorrow ;)

Have a great weekend all :j
  • shaggydoo
    shaggydoo Posts: 8,406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    September 2017

herbst0015.gif= 7 Days AF

thumbs_up_smiley.gif= 14 days AF

Smilies_Bananas_ChristmasDancing.gif8CQgb2mkiIjrD5QXE4a1XWPiYIwvLvTgCzyw9l4c6TIzsgB9XkRNIw==.gif= 21 days AF

DancingGrape.gif= 28 days AF

cloud9.gif= 31 days AF

kicking.gif= Target Achieved

dancegirl2.gif= Target Beaten

Alcohol Free Days

Arkers 16/TF herbst0015.gifthumbs_up_smiley.gif
    Barny1979 21/25herbst0015.gifthumbs_up_smiley.gif8CQgb2mkiIjrD5QXE4a1XWPiYIwvLvTgCzyw9l4c6TIzsgB9XkRNIw==.gif
    CathyBird 28/21herbst0015.gifthumbs_up_smiley.gif8CQgb2mkiIjrD5QXE4a1XWPiYIwvLvTgCzyw9l4c6TIzsgB9XkRNIw==.gifkicking.gifdancegirl2.gifDancingGrape.gif
    CuppaTea 19/18 herbst0015.gifthumbs_up_smiley.gifkicking.gifdancegirl2.gif
    Eltee 15/18herbst0015.gifthumbs_up_smiley.gif

ElusiveLucy 11/10 herbst0015.gifkicking.gifdancegirl2.gif

GintotMelinda 3/TF
    Honey Bear 29/30 herbst0015.gifthumbs_up_smiley.gif8CQgb2mkiIjrD5QXE4a1XWPiYIwvLvTgCzyw9l4c6TIzsgB9XkRNIw==.gifDancingGrape.gif
    MaggieM 7/15 herbst0015.gif
    Maman 14/10 herbst0015.gifkicking.gifdancegirl2.gifthumbs_up_smiley.gif

Nicnak /15

Poor Single Lady 20/24 herbst0015.gifthumbs_up_smiley.gif
    Pricey 18/20herbst0015.gifthumbs_up_smiley.gif

PurpleMumof2 5/10
    Shaggy 20/21
    herbst0015.gifthumbs_up_smiley.gif

StepUpToThePl8 3/5

StichyWitchy 1/15
    SukeyBoo
    12/10herbst0015.gifkicking.gifdancegirl2.gif
    Tallyhoh 12/30herbst0015.gif
    WBF 16/21herbst0015.gifthumbs_up_smiley.gif

Everyone Welcome! It's never too late to join....

Please highlight your AFDs in Red

Don't hesitate to let me know if I've made a mistake!
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
  • shaggydoo
    Options
    October 2017

herbst0015.gif= 7 Days AF

smileys-halloween-500315.gif?w=646= 14 days AF

Smilies_Bananas_ChristmasDancing.gif8CQgb2mkiIjrD5QXE4a1XWPiYIwvLvTgCzyw9l4c6TIzsgB9XkRNIw==.gif= 21 days AF

_autumn__by_jagveress-d8r0b21.gif= 28 days AF

e283d9ecb3ebdb170eba460fdbfc62cc.gif= 31 days AF

97405adab61ef2c5821b57010bbbba92-d88k3ho.gif= Target Achieved

flying_witch.gif= Target Beaten

Alcohol Free Days

AlexLK /21

Arkers

Barny1979 /24

CathyBird /21

CuppaTea /28

Eltee /25

ElusiveLucy /14

GintotMelinda

Honey Bear /31

MaggieM

Maman /10

Nicnak

Poor Single Lady /24

Pricey /20

PurpleMumof2 /10

Shaggy /13

StepUpToThePl8

StichyWitchy

SukeyBoo /14

Tallyhoh /31

WBF /14

Everyone Welcome! It's never too late to join....

Please highlight your AFDs in Red

Don't hesitate to let me know if I've made a mistake!
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
  • shaggydoo
    Options
    Roll up, Roll up. A New Month, A New Challenge.
    march-easter-eggs.pngaug-13-estonian-summer-sun-preview.pngwp-1475551408154.jpg?w=360&h=360&crop=1
    SET A
    Target_logo.jpg
    31 days up for grabs!

Everyone Welcome!!!
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Shaggy I absolutely love October's "target beaten" emoji :rotfl::rotfl: It's fabulous!
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport