Home Insurance Discussion

Options

Comments

• Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Just had a renewal quote but it includes a new clause saying I will not have cover for theft if I don't have a grade 2 EN50131 alarm fitted or if my existing alarm was not fitted by a NACOSS/SSAIB approved installer. I don't.
    When I look on the web for NACOSS/SSAIB approved installer I find companies that have an amazing number and varieties of devices (or levels of protection). Can anyone tell me what is the minimum that will satisfy the above condition and if you know approx cost. I only want minimum expenditure to enable me to get cheap full insurance because up till now my main experiance of alarms is an alarm sounding for what seems an endless period with no one taking a blind bit of notice of it except to grumble about the noise, so I have a prominant real alarm box (diy) but no one knows it won't sound.

Probably not as bad, or as expensive, as you might think. These days prices are pretty reasonable, and wireless systems make installation a lot simpler.

Are you in the London area, or a high risk burglary area? Or is it the amount of cover that's increased the demands of the insurer? Not LV is it?

I ask only because it may be worth checking around for other insurers with lower requirements.
  • murphydavid
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Probably not as bad, or as expensive, as you might think. These days prices are pretty reasonable, and wireless systems make installation a lot simpler.

Are you in the London area, or a high risk burglary area? Or is it the amount of cover that's increased the demands of the insurer? Not LV is it?

I ask only because it may be worth checking around for other insurers with lower requirements.
    No I'm not in a high risk area and yes it is LV. They have been best I could find with limited time for the last 8 years or so (I had to not let them auto renew but bargained and got a new cheaper quote) Now this! I will be looking at others but in trying to get a quote for an alarm (just to see what it would cost) I don't know what kind of alarm to ask for that would satisfy their rules. I presume a box on the outside wall and one movement sensor in my hall - would that be enough?
  • Doc_N
    Options
    .... I don't know what kind of alarm to ask for that would satisfy their rules. I presume a box on the outside wall and one movement sensor in my hall - would that be enough?

I don't think there's a simple answer to that. I think unfortunately that you'd have to get quotations from local installers (a phone call should give you a rough idea) on what would be needed as a bare minimum to achieve Grade 2 EN50131. I'm guessing here, but I suspect it will be a bit more than a box and a sensor, but it shouldn't cost the earth.

I'm sure we'd all be interested to know the outcome too.

The thing that really costs, long term, is a maintenance contract, but I don't think LV are requiring that, are they? For what it's worth, in 12 years the only thing that's ever needed doing to our system is a battery replacement, and that was in the warranty period. A good system needs practically nothing in the way of maintenance and contracts are just a profit centre for the providers.

LV seem pretty keen on alarms - I suppose it keeps their claims down, maybe because it enables them to attract the sort of customer that makes fewer claims.
  • hollie.weimeraner
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »

The thing that really costs, long term, is a maintenance contract, but I don't think LV are requiring that, are they? For what it's worth, in 12 years the only thing that's ever needed doing to our system is a battery replacement, and that was in the warranty period. A good system needs practically nothing in the way of maintenance and contracts are just a profit centre for the providers.

I would agree with this and have actually had a maintenance contract for 20 years. My system is being serviced this week and am considering cancelling the contract.

When I ask for quotes I always state we don't have an alarm fitted (doesn't seem to make any difference to my quotes surprisingly) as we don't set the alarm when the dog is left alone in the house. Additionally the house is now occupied for most of the time so the need for the alarm is diminished (tempting fate or what?:))
  • murphydavid
    murphydavid Posts: 832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 November 2017 at 12:52PM
    Options
    When I ask for quotes I always state we don't have an alarm fitted (doesn't seem to make any difference to my quotes surprisingly)
    Beware: So did I and LV were quite happy to quote a renewal and insure me for a reasonable sum but they then write into the contract that they will not pay out for theft if no alarm is in place. I had to find it (though to give them credit it was in big writing) so check terms just in case.
  • Doc_N
    Options
    It could just be, cynic that I am, that LV are just using this as an excuse not to pay out if customers fail to notice the change.
  • mitch1875
    Options
    Hi,

We are moving home on the 15th December into a new build, as part of the deal we have part exchanged our current house and negotiated a licence to occupy for 5 days, so essentially we move into our new house on the 15th but have our existing house until the 20th so we can move out our things over 5 days rather than the stress of one day.

One complication is that we need to ensure we have buildings and contents insurance for the 5 days whilst techniclally we don’t own the property.

When I spoke to my current broker today Esure they have said they’ve never heard of this and couldn’t insure us on both properties concurrently. We have at the moment just moved our existing policy to the new build so need to find a way to cover our 5 days.

Does anyone have any experience of this ?

Thanks
  • mutley74
    mutley74 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    anyone recommend an home insurer that will cover from exchange of contracts (FTB) to completion but allow a cover whilst the house undergoes some minor renovations (damp proofing, some electrical works etc). I tried Esure but they cant cover for any works.
  • Reardoa
    Reardoa Posts: 155 Forumite
    Options
    most insurers wont cover a property undergoing works mutley74. You may need to look at self build insurance so try self build insure
  • editor1
    editor1 Posts: 287 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Nice renewal quote from Hastings Direct for Home & Contents Premium coverage, somewhat higher than a similar LV quote I got - quick phone call and got our policy renewed for £175.00, £26 lower than renewal - online quotes all coming in over £200 inclusive of cash backs applied - that's twice this year Hastings have offered decent deals following phone calls and stating clearly that you have similar policies for car & home at lower price points. We've saved approx. £100 - never claimed off Hastings, but policies for car & home are competitive if comparing with LV and the likes.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback