PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone want to join me waiting to find a house to buy?

Options

Comments

• amateur_house
    Options
    copperjar wrote: »
    Well we went to see a house in prefered location this evening. As usual, my partner loved it and I'm more cautious. I think that is just going to be the way it is for me - I won't have the head over heals feeling but will be more considered for any property! So I think we are going to make an offer. It has location, parking, 3 beds - all on the wish list. Only downsides is outdoor space is smaller than we wanted and it's a cottage (positive) so doesn't have the light and airy feel.

Anyway, we are thinking of offering 92% of asking price. We think it's a good offer and we're in a strong position but no doubt it will be declined at first. We can't go anything over 95% of asking price so will see how it goes! Feel a tad more anxious than excited, it's rubbish being me sometimes!

That sounds very positive, good luck with getting your offer accepted.
  • MeandO
    MeandO Posts: 2,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good luck Copperjar, I hope it goes well for you.

I saw a property today that looked oh so promising. I was the first to view, but unfortunately it was quite disappointing. Much smaller than it looked online and no option to extend.

I have a viewing on a house on Thursday - a friend of a friend's house that is not on the market yet, so they are offering it to me as a private sale. It looks a lot bigger and quite nice, but a smaller garden than today's property. If this one isn't right, I think I will give up, unfortunately pull put of my sale and settle where I am. I just can't keep this up anymore, it's making me ill. The doc wants to put me on bp medication now and the stress is just affecting me too much. This one will be my last viewing I've decided. :(
    Mortgage @ 03/2019: £125K, Now: £66,970
    Mortgage OP's 2024: £738.03 Total OP’s: £8948.59
    SAVINGS: EF: £6923.98/£15,000 XMAS: £607.21 CAR/HOUSE: £550
  • copperjar
    copperjar Posts: 884 Forumite
    edited 7 September 2016 at 12:35PM
    Options
    Oh no MeandO. That isn't good you getting stressed and feeling ill. Sounds like you've made a decision though which is always tough but can also take such a weight off the shoulders. Good luck with your viewing later, maybe that will be the one! When did you accept an offer on your house? Can I ask if you progressed with the legal side? I haven't done a thing with that yet!

Well offer was made and declined as expected. He wants closer to asking price then immediately offered £5k off. I'm going to leave it a day or so then go back with best and final/or just next offer - let them stew. The EA told me last night they are moving to a new build in Nov/Dec but vendor has said they're in no rush to sell. Not sure I believe that!

Wish I had that hearts a flutter feel about it all, although maybe wouldn't be so calm about this if I did. We are booked into another on Fri and Sat. Hopefully things are picking up
    [STRIKE]
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    [/STRIKE]
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £6000/£6000
  • MeandO
    MeandO Posts: 2,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hope the continued negotiations prove successful for you Copperjar.

I sold just over a month ago now. There was a blip of a few days when it all fell through because they'd lost their buyer, but found another within 3 days, unfortunately I lost the house I was purchasing and had set my heart on in those 3 days.
    They have had surveys done on mine and I have filled in the fixtures & fitting slist etc, but that is all. It doesn't seem to be progressing at great speed, but is with the solicitors.

I'm hoping today's viewing is 'the one'. Although there are a few minus points to it already, including residents parking rather than a drive, but that's quite common in the area I'm looking in.

Fingers crossed for you copperjar, let us know how it goes at the weekend too.
    Mortgage @ 03/2019: £125K, Now: £66,970
    Mortgage OP's 2024: £738.03 Total OP’s: £8948.59
    SAVINGS: EF: £6923.98/£15,000 XMAS: £607.21 CAR/HOUSE: £550
  • copperjar
    Options
    How did you get on MeandO?

We haven't raised our offer on the house and I don't think we are going to. It's nice but I don't think it is worth what the sellers do, maybe they will come back to us...

Having said that, a house in our preferred location which has been SSTC since May time came back on the market today. I've always liked the house (one of those I've tortured myself over!) so we are booked in to see it on Tuesday (the earliest they could do). I'm genuinely excited about this one - the worrier in me wonders why it wasn't snapped up earlier in the year (they dropped the price to get a sale), but if it's as nice as I've made it in my head the past few weeks, I can't wait to see it!

The EA said the sale fell through just as they were about to exchange, buyer couldn't afford it due to change in circumstance, so it might be that they're desperate now and will be open to offers. Still have the other two this weekend as well so I'm feeling a lot more positive now.

Haven't sent anything back to solicitors yet and had a chase up letter yesterday so I'm going to get on with that now. Had been waiting until we found something but I don't want our buyers getting cold feet just as things seem to be picking up.
    [STRIKE]
    [/STRIKE]
  • Bonfire_Bride
    Options
    Copperjar...I think you were right to walk away from that house. Even though the property we are purchasing had a few negatives (kitchen smaller than the one we have) I fell in love with it the first time we viewed and the 2nd time we viewed, even though I had my "sensible" hat on...it still got me excited.

Hopefully the one you view on Tuesday will do the same. It is such a big purchase, don't feel rushed into it because of the pending sale on yours.

Good Luck...looking forward to hearing how it goes.
  • copperjar
    Options
    Thanks Bonfire. Do feel genuinely excited about the house we're seeing Tuesday, I must admit. Had a drive past this evening and it's lovely - downside is East facing garden! Daren't tell the OH yet because I've been scathing about N and E facing gardens in the past! :eek:

The other one tomorrow in same village as we are now is also nice. I really wanted a change of location (so that's the downside for me...partner not as bothered) but it is cheaper than Tuesday's one and has a south facing garden. We will see!
    [STRIKE]
    [/STRIKE]
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    copperjar wrote: »
    Thanks Bonfire. Do feel genuinely excited about the house we're seeing Tuesday, I must admit. Had a drive past this evening and it's lovely - downside is East facing garden! Daren't tell the OH yet because I've been scathing about N and E facing gardens in the past! :eek:

I have an east facing garden and it doesn't bother me although I wouldn't buy a house with a north facing garden unless it was very long. An east facing garden is good if you have a conservatory as the sun warms it up in the morning and then it doesn't get too hot in the afternoon.
  • copperjar
    Options
    Thanks SuzieSue. No conservatory on the house we're looking at and the garden isn't the biggest. Just hope it does get some sun - I was never that bothered about which way a garden faced in the past (I don't even have a garden in current house!) but it's suddenly become one of the top issues for us. Argh!

How was the house MeandO?
    [STRIKE]
    [/STRIKE]
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Really... how much do you use the garden? Do you really want full sunshine? If it's warm enough you'll be out anyway and won't have to worry about burning. I'm always hunting down shade when our garden gets sunny!

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family