IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Excell / BW legal small claims loss

Options
124»

Comments

• Lamilad
    Lamilad Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The advice here is really informative and seems to be a lot more on the money than the advice i was getting from CAG!
    I'm 99% sure you would have won if this forum have assisted you. Even at Swansea
  • yotmon
    yotmon Posts: 484 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just wondering, is it possible (for a fee) to obtain the court recording and transcribe it yourself to save on costs ?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    No, it has to be a court-approved transcription service.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • wi3347
    wi3347 Posts: 63 Forumite
    Options
    Yes I believe I would of won if it I came here instead as well tbh! I think once I submitted that 2 line defence I was doomed from then on
  • yotmon
    yotmon Posts: 484 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wi3347 wrote: »
    Yes I believe I would of won if it I came here instead as well tbh! I think once I submitted that 2 line defence I was doomed from then on

Too true. I was surprised reading your post that you didn't mention that you were serving abroad at the time of the infringement. This, including your service records to back it up would have taken you out of the equation of being the driver. Being pre-pofa, the claimant would have had no case to bring forward.

Better luck with your next case.
  • wi3347
    Options
    yotmon wrote: »
    Too true. I was surprised reading your post that you didn't mention that you were serving abroad at the time of the infringement. This, including your service records to back it up would have taken you out of the equation of being the driver. Being pre-pofa, the claimant would have had no case to bring forward.

Better luck with your next case.
    exactly! but i was going with the advice of the 2 line defence and was told it would be for them to prove as pre pofa. Was never advised to suggest that i was elsewhere, and as i didnt know any better i went with that advice. The judge said his silly comment about "taking a photo pf everyone entering a carpark in england and wales in relation to this. He said "the defendant has not offered any evidence he is not the drive and has attempted to shift the ownus onto the claimant to prove he was driving but in order for this to happen it would mean that everyone entering a car park in england and wales would need to have their photograph taken which is ridiculous"

he completely missed the point and didnt seem to think that they should have to prove their claim! that it was all on me to disprove it, was no real pressure on them to prove anything
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    He erred in law. He is wrong. The burden IS theirs.

I would get the transcript and appeal that one, but it would cost.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • wi3347
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    He erred in law. He is wrong. The burden IS theirs.

I would get the transcript and appeal that one, but it would cost.

Its past the 14 day period to appeal now. I did have a serious think about it as he did make an error there as at least 2 more. Failing to see i denied being the driver in my witnesses statement and allowing their advocate to speak with no right of audience. But as it was so much to get the appeal and transcript running I just didnt want to risk it although i think it had a good chance of success.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    Whether you appeal or not, send a very robust complaint to the MOJ, copied to your MP.

The judge may have had a bad day, or may be not up to the job. If others have raised this issue in the past, (or in the future), he may be given guidance and/or sanctioned. Judges at this level are often retired solicitors, I suspect that few would be able to pass the Foreign Office exams.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure