Got my stove, what else do I need?

Options

Comments

• michaelgordon
    Options
    coal bucket and a shovel to load the coal into fire. You could look at the fans i forget their name but the supposedly help the airflow, i have one but not sure it actually does anything.

Depending on your stove size a builders bag wont last that long. My first year I had two builders bags and they lasted the winter mixed with 15 packs so about 150KG briquettes and was left with say a quarter left but i also had smokeless mainly used for weekend days when i needed the heat to last all day i had 50kg of that and most of it went.

Im running a 5kw stove and that was heating just the front room.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The stove-top fans are really good if you have room on top of your stove to put one. They generate their own electricity from the heat, so no batteries or cords required.

My stove is set into a fireplace, so I have no room for one.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Livelongandprosper
    Options
    If you are burning smokeless then a good sized coal bunker is required

I get my smokeless delivered, 5 large sacks at a time. I let the coal man and his lorry take the strain rather then the suspension of my car and my back:). He just loads it into the bunker and sweeps up any mess

The stove is lit from October to May most years. All day long from November to March so I burn mainly smokeless then, just using logs when I just need an evening fire. Smokeless and anthracite I find I can load to stove before I go to work and come home to a cosy home with the stove still lit
  • Parisno
    Parisno Posts: 13 Forumite
    edited 24 April 2017 at 1:16PM
    Options
    I burn a mix of smokeless and wood (Usually Briquettes of the Pini Kay variety)

Fan - Got one, the wife likes it but not sure it does much
    Poker - Heavy Iron one, essential
    Thermometer - Got one but dont pay too much attention, depending where I put it the readings vary wildly, its fairly easy to tell if your stove is hot or not, and temp rises when new fuel is added and falls off as it burns.
    Moisture meter - Got one (somewhere), used it once I think and probably did it wrong!
    Log basket - Got one, a strong wicker basket from Dunelm, not a log basket but ideal for me, a rubble sack from the local supermarket is an ideal fit and keeps the bits from falling all over and only a quid for a roll of them.
    Brush and steel shovel - Essential if you are burning coal and for cleaning bits up

GREENFIRES - If you read this, you seem to know what you are talking about, where would you put a stove thermometer and what would be an "ideal" temp?
  • vanilla8
    vanilla8 Posts: 656 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got a wood holder and coal bucket from Home Bargains.
    Got my poker from amazon.
    Haven't found a suitable dustpan and brush that sits right next to it all, but mainly doing my cleaning when ash cold so using plastic one at the moment.
  • Cash-Cows
    Cash-Cows Posts: 413 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The best accessory I have are the heat resistant gloves. They were free with the stove. Easy to open the door rather than using the clip on handle and the safest way to place a log.
  • Cash-Cows
    Cash-Cows Posts: 413 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can add accessories to your Christmas list. No point in buying the nice to have items.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dusters. If you don't already have a real fire you'll discover a new need to dust regularly, even with a sealed door on the stove ;)

I would also consider purchasing a spare ash pan for the stove, subject to cost. It is much safer and easier to take the hot one out and replace it with the spare - allowing the hot one to cool down before moving it away from the hearth (if the layout of your hearth permits).

You'll want to take the ash pan outside to empty to minimise dust in the house - beware of opening the outside door while carrying an uncovered ash pan on anything but a perfectly calm day. Don't be tempted to empty the ash pan in sheds or outbuildings, especially ones containing tools or bicycles. Ash, especially from smokeless fuel, is highly corrosive when mixed with moisture. My dad managed to ruin the chrome on my treasured Raleigh bike that way. :mad:

After you've been using the stove for a while and are sure you are happy with it, another thing to consider is getting a spare set of firebricks/linings and possibly door glass (if applicable to your stove). These don't last forever and you don't want to be in a position where the manufaturer discontinues them as a spare part just before you need replacements. You'll need to get a competent person to fit them, but having the parts already is an insurance against future non-availability. The grate is another part which may not last a lifetime - but this (and the firebricks/lining), will last longer if you avoid throwing logs into the stove and place them in gently using tongs.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    To follow EachPenny's comment, these problems of hot ash pans and so on are precisely what the 'Tippy', referred to earlier, solves. You put the entire pan inside the Tippy, empty the hot ash into it and then close the lid - minimal dust, no fire risk.
  • Greenfires
    Greenfires Posts: 635 Forumite
    Options
    Parisno - it would depend on the thermometer. The recommended placement is usually about 12" or so up the flue pipe.

There are also thermometers calibrated for stove top use, which should be placed, as the name suggests, on the top surface of the stove rather than on the flue.

We do have one - but don't tend to take much notice of it to be honest. It's only on there at all because I used to sell them and so had a box full knocking about! As mentioned earlier - it's not a good idea to become a slave to it as you'll forever me messing with the stove as the temperature will go up and down perfectly normally depending on where your fuel is in the burn cycle. You'll also be worrying - in most cases without any reason, about the creosote zone. If your fire is dying down as the fuel has finished it's flaming stage, then you're already past any danger of creosote formation - thought the thermometer will be telling you different.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure