Norwegian- wont honour full expenses, no compensation offered

Options
Hello,
On 6th June, we were in Portugal and waiting for our return flight to Gatwick when I got a text on my phone from Norwegian to say that our flight had been cancelled an hour before our booked transfer was due to collect us to take us to the airport for our 21:00 flight.

An hour or so later, I had another text saying we had been rebooked on another flight the next morning at 09:00 which we accepted and travelled on, this however was also delayed by over 2 hours meaning that the total delay was in excess of 14 hours.

We were advised to keep copies of receipts for expenses which we have done and incurred the following expenses as a result:
• Extra night in Hotel 75 Euros
• Evening meal for the 3 of us 40.35 euros
• Breakfast the following morning at airport 17.50 euros
• Extra Parking charges as arrived a day later than scheduled to London Gatwick £15.

I applied independently via the Norwegian website on 7th June for reimbursement of expenses- I was unaware of the resolver tool at the time and have only this morning received a reply, nearly 4 months after the flight was cancelled- I suspect that this is as a result of me opening up a case via the resolver tool 5 days ago however they have replied to me directly and not through the resolver tool stating the following:

• The cancelled flight was due to ground damage on a previous departure.
• They will reimburse for accommodation and meals incurred but require receipts
• They WILL NOT reimburse for the extra £15 in parking charges at Gatwick as the reasons for delay were beyond there control and not caused by an act or omission of the air carrier as determine in the EC 261/2004 regulation.

No mention has been made of additional compensation for flight delay which I believe to be up to 250 euros per passenger. We also paid for the additional expenses via credit card which have been incurring interest charges since June.

Does anyone have any advice or experience of similar situations?

I haven’t as yet responded to the request for receipts etc as I feel that the reimbursement offered is inadequate for the delay incurred and the length of time that it has taken to respond in addition to the fact that we have been offered no compensation at all and what we have been offered doesn’t cover the expenses incurred as a result of the flight cancellation.

Any help very much appreciated.

Comments

• 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bobby.... read Vauban's guide first ..... once you have digested you will realise you have a valid claim and the Guide will indicate the procedure to obtain same.
  • bobby5015538
    Options
    cheers- does anyone have a link to vaubans guide? The link I have found is dead
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The offer from Norwegian would be correct if the delay and cancellation were genuinely not their fault. Things like the extra parking cost are covered by the 250 Euro penalty, but this only applies if the airline was responsible for the delay.
  • bobby5015538
    Options
    Thanks 111kab for the guide, currently having a read through and digesting before drafting a response to norwegian.....

Thanks voyager2002 also, im unsure of whether the airline were responsible for the delay- the reasons given at the airport for cancellation were 'technical reasons' the only other explanation weve had is today saying that it was ground damage on a previous departure so unsure as to whether this would fall in to the airline being responsible or whether I would be due further compensation
  • bobby5015538
    Options
    Basically, I am trying to establish whether to accept reimbursement offered by norwegian or pursue the claim in line with the €250 euros per passenger (3 of us) if this is due also. If I don't have a valid claim in this regard I'd be inclined to just accept reimbursement offered which is obviously lower than the actual costs incurred as we had additional parking charges etc which will not be reimbursed by norwegian at this stage
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Basically, I am trying to establish whether to accept reimbursement offered by norwegian or pursue the claim in line with the €250 euros per passenger (3 of us) if this is due also. If I don't have a valid claim in this regard I'd be inclined to just accept reimbursement offered which is obviously lower than the actual costs incurred as we had additional parking charges etc which will not be reimbursed by norwegian at this stage

Forget about the parking charge, since that is not relevant.

You are certainly entitled to "care" during the delay, the cost of which is what they are offering. Personally I would write asking them to pay this, but making it clear that I believe that they are also obliged to pay delay compensation. They should then pay what they have offered, allowing you to decide what steps (if any) to take in relation to the compensation.

What you must not do is sign or in any way agree that the payment they have offered is the end of the matter: look out for phrases like "full and final settlement".
  • bobby5015538
    Options
    Cheers, thanks for your help
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills