We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Growing rhubarb in a pot - no garden.

Options
I'd love to grow rhubarb on my balcony.Has anyone done this successfully?Just curious.
I get limited direct sunlight and it's reasonably sheltered.
Thanks.

Comments

• DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You'd need a pretty huge pot, very rich compost, and a lot of water for rhubarb.... I'd worry about the strength of the balcony.

There are plenty of other fruit and veg I'd rather try and grow, peas, beans, courgettes, all of which will manage in limited sun, are pretty, and more productive....

I have a balcony (in full sun) with patio fruit trees, oranges and tomatoes. Luckily, I also have a garden, and the rhubarb goes rampant down at the bottom.

Any particular reason you want rhubarb?
  • marmiterulesok
    marmiterulesok Posts: 7,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    It's because I absolutely love it and I love the idea of having rhubarb 'on tap' so to speak.

I did have a large vegetable plot for about a year.One of the things I planted was rhubarb,and it's coming along nicely,though I think that this year is still too early to enjoy it....I hope the new owner doesn't dig it up.
    Then I moved flats in December.
    My balcony is very solid though.
    I was thinking already that I would need a very big plant pot.
  • zaax
    zaax Posts: 1,910 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Try it and see, that's what gardening is all about. Well rotted horse manure should not smell as a big pot of that should be OK.
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would have two pots on the go - a new one that you don't harvest the first year and a second one that you take everything you can off in the season, divide the root and repot to be next year's 'don't harvest' plant.

You might be able to stretch it to a three year cycle, depending on the size of your pots.
  • marmiterulesok
    Options
    zaax wrote: »
    Try it and see, that's what gardening is all about.

I was thinking that too. :)
  • marmiterulesok
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    I would have two pots on the go - a new one that you don't harvest the first year and a second one that you take everything you can off in the season, divide the root and repot to be next year's 'don't harvest' plant.

You might be able to stretch it to a three year cycle, depending on the size of your pots.

I was thinking of planting two separate plants in two pots.

What you're saying is that you'd divide the root from the plant at the end of this year once it's a bit more established?
  • Mojisola
    Options
    What you're saying is that you'd divide the root from the plant at the end of this year once it's a bit more established?

If you're starting now with two young plants, leave them both to grow on without taking any stems to build up the root.

Next Spring, harvest everything you can off one plant but, again, leave the other to grow on.

After you've exhausted the plant you're harvesting, divide the root up, replant the best piece in new muck/compost and let it grow on.

Experiment with it - it's part of the fun of gardening.

I'd also say that very few people eat all the rhubarb their plants produce so ask around and see if anyone is willing to share their spare with you.
  • Mojisola
    Options
    You could also go for one plant in a big pot and treat as if it was in the ground - harvesting some in the Spring and letting it grow on year after year but you'll need a much bigger pot. I was thinking that two pots would spread the weight over the balcony.
  • marmiterulesok
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    If you're starting now with two young plants, leave them both to grow on without taking any stems to build up the root.

In the same pot?

Next Spring, harvest everything you can off one plant but, again, leave the other to grow on.

Once they've grown back in the spring,cut all the rhubarb stems off of one,and don't touch the other one?

After you've exhausted the plant you're harvesting, divide the root up, replant the best piece in new muck/compost and let it grow on.

The one I'm harvesting is the first one?

Experiment with it - it's part of the fun of gardening.

I'd also say that very few people eat all the rhubarb their plants produce so ask around and see if anyone is willing to share their spare with you.

I might do that.Good idea.

I've added my questions and some answers in red.
  • marmiterulesok
    Options
    It's just occured to me - the rhubarb that I planted last year: would it be very traumatic for it if I were to dig it up and repot it in my new place?

Do rhubarb plants have big long roots?

Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family