PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

December 2016 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Littlefrugalcottage
    Options
    Oh golly, I cannot believe it's that time again!!

Well we did really well with our shopping I managed to cut it down quiet a lot and if we didn't have to pay a vets bill (£136!!!!) then we would of saved some.

Please can you put me down for £250 this month? It's down by £50 from last month but I really think we can do it :) and be happy!
    Little Frugal Cottage x
    SealedPotChallenge 2017 No.573 :j Grocery Challenge - £250/£250 left to spend £250
  • wishus
    wishus Posts: 1,192 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello, can I join in for December, please?

My general budget is £110 for 2 for a month... this month is of course, Christmas, and we are inviting two friends to celebrate with us. So, because of what OH is planning, I'm adjusting up to £155.

OH has his eye on a butcher's Christmas special... bacon, gammon ham, pigs in blankets, fillet of beef, turkey crown OR goose. There's only 4 of us, but a box to feed 6 is quoted at £45.

OH would actually prefer poussin to the big birds, so is hoping to persuade the butcher, but if he can't that sounds all right, doesn't it? Or do you think we could do better?

I know Aldi is doing 2 poussin for £5.99, so main meats for us could be £12. Except he wants to be all Man v Food and serve the wellington he wants to do at the same time, which we all know will be too much, but apparently excess is required to counteract any notions of meanness. Hence beef wellington party bags are envisaged.

Our budget is going to be all food... no pressies. Too skint!
    Back in debt again, but for a good cause. £17K to go

April Grocery Challenge: £228.36/200

Decluttering 856/2024 Awards 🥇
    (22/04/24)
  • wishus
    wishus Posts: 1,192 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Redshank wrote: »
    Hello :) I'm completely new - well, not completely *new* new, I joined the forum a few years ago, around the time my husband and I were planning on going bankrupt, but never posted and then I vanished, and now I'm back....because I don't think I really got to grips with budgeting. I thought I did, but then I slipped, and now I'm panicking. So I came back here and I thought a good place to start would be groceries.

So, if it's ok, I'll join for December? If you don't mind letting me in? I'll be completely honest, it's all a bit of a wild guess. There's me, my husband, 8yo and 21mo daughters, one dog, one cat, and half a dozen hens. And I usually do a big family & friends meal the week before Christmas (big as in up to 19 people including teenies, though usually closer to 10-12).

Anyway, I'm waffling. I'm going to guess at £60 per week, plus an extra £60 for the big meal, plus another £25 for the last couple of days at the end of the month. So budget of £325

Do you think that sounds reasonable? I've no idea! (see, wild guess!). I'm not even sure we'll have that much to spare (that's the stage I've reached, hence panicking, lost track :( )

Sorry for jumping in. Forgive me?

Hiya! It's been a while for me on here, so I've quite forgotten how best to budget for this time of year. All I know is Christmas seems to be the worst time for sticking to plan... no choice though this year!

I would say, this year if it's a case of sort-of-trying-to-be-careful with money, then you could break it down into smaller challenges... making leftovers stretch further... not buying sprouts if no one eats them etc... a million more exciting ways to eat turkey etc. But sounds fine! Good luck!
    Back in debt again, but for a good cause. £17K to go

April Grocery Challenge: £228.36/200

Decluttering 856/2024 Awards 🥇
    (22/04/24)
  • Slowly57
    Slowly57 Posts: 353 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi All - I'm going for £200 again from tomorrow 23.11 - 21.12.

YS and hoarding have been my downfall and I reckon I'll come under for this month.
    NO YS - NO HOARDING ZONE for this month lol

I've cleaned out my cupboards; am in the process of doing the same with my freezers. I'm being RUTHLESS as freezer room is at a premium. I'll bring in my bargain float in the New Year.
    2022 | Back to the fold - need a Money Saving mojo reboot!

Grocery Challenge JAN 2022 £200/£185.00 left!
  • ScotinLondon
    Options
    Can you please put me down for £160 commencing from 25th November-24 December 2016.

Thanks for starting the thread.

Everyone have a good day.
    SIL
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 24 November 2016 at 11:15AM
    Options
    Have had a really good November, knew if I came back to this lovely thread I could do it, such great support and inspiration.

£40 again for me please.

£40. Sorry not able to increase font or colour for some reason.
    Slimming World at target
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 36 Forumite
    edited 24 November 2016 at 12:25PM
    Options
    Hi all!

I'm new to the forums, I've been tracking my family's spending on a spreadsheet for quite a while (every week I download my transactions and my spreadsheet breaks it down in to about a million categories).

My grocery spending comes into two categories - my 2 Ocado shops each month, and then the "extra" shops to pick up "little" items. The ocado shops are fine, the first one will tend to be £160, second one £120, which covers 2 adults, one nearly 2 year old and a cat, and pays for all groceries, cleaning products, cat food and litter, nappies. My major issue are the mutliple other trips to the supermarket for "milk" which somehow ends up being milk and then about a million other items.

One month this year the "other" trips ended up costing £400 :( which is very shameful.

I am also starting a new job in January which means I will be home later than normal, and therefore need to have dinner already made/ prepped. So I'm trying to combine the grocery challenge with some freezer food prepping too (nothing insane, just if I'm making a lasagne, make 3 instead so that I can have 2 in the freezer for other days).

Anyways, what a ramble.

My target for December is £500 for everything. My target in other months will be £400 or below, but I didn't want to go too crazy in my first month!!

My month runs from payday (25th November), and I have already put my first ocado order in.

Current total £178.68 / £500

P.s. wow, sorry for the essay
    February Grocery Challenge: £0 / £500
  • Wysiwyg49
    Options
    Hi all!

My major issue are the mutliple other trips to the supermarket for "milk" which somehow ends up being milk and then about a million other items.

Oh I know that feeling - !!

Count me in again for £360 from 27th Nov to 31st December. Away for a week over Christmas which is already paid for (any extras out of holiday budget), so I make it 4 weeks shopping - but one week is in hols so bound to spend a bit more...
    GC Feb 2019 (to 10th) £397.07/£300
  • Slowly57
    Options
    One month this year the "other" trips ended up costing £400 :( which is very shameful.

No shame hun, if you can see where it all went wrong - you can fix it. I'm a serial hoarder and compulsive YS (yellow sticker reduction) buyer - which has knocked giant holes in my GC budgets, deary-me :rotfl:

Bobbing in to record my first spend of £50.00 which includes sexy old winter screenwash, de-icer spray and replacement goods for the cupboard. I'm all about the mindful spend these days.

Also - big thanks to whoever recommended The Happy Pear on OS xx

• Slowly57
    Options
    Another £20.00 spend on meat - which along with what I've already got in there - should cook up meaty meals until March.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure