Revolut or Clarity or both?!

Options

Comments

• takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We use one Clarity for purchases and another for cash withdrawals.

I haven't noticed any adverse impact on my credit rating.

If your going to have two cards then it's better if they are different just incase there is a problem with one of them.

For example when paying for fuel abroad my Halifax Clarity wouldn't work in one garage but my Monzo card did. Plus with Monzo you have the benefit of saving a few pennies in interest when you withdraw cash.

Also Monzo instantly shows you the transaction on your phone. This is useful when in countries such as Spain where they often try and charge you in pounds using a poor DCC rate. So you will know straight away if this has been done.
    When in Tenerife I once got a receipt which showed euros and pounds which suggested I was charged in pounds, but actually i was charged in euros as requested when it came up on my phone.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    If your going to have two cards then it's better if they are different just incase there is a problem with one of them.

Between us, my wife and I have ten, including four Clarities on two accounts. I've had a Clarity fail (only once) and another fee free card eaten by an ATM on the first day of a three week US road trip. As you say, back-up cards are a good idea.

I am now looking at the Monzo though.
  • hollie.weimeraner
    Options
    Nationwide CC is also fee free for purchases and I used this for the hire car deposit whilst in USA last year. So in total we travel with 3 no cost cards when we go away.
  • Pedrobandito
    Pedrobandito Posts: 69 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Applied for my Monzo on Monday and it arrived on Tuesday, so far so good...

Just hope it works when I come to use it :)
  • dipsy
    dipsy Posts: 3,137 Forumite
    Options
    What about the starling one? any good?
    2007 £1749
    2008 £291.99
    2009 JanMasscara £7.00 Feb megcabot books x 2 £20 XFactor tkts x 2 £58.00 (couldn't go though as they only phoned on day :-( ) foundation £7.99
    total so far for 09 £92.99
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Just in the throws off applying for a Monzo, how quickly do you have to add the £100 to activate the card?
  • danhenshy23
    Options
    Have used my Revolut Card for 2 trips to the US and once in Spain in the last 2 years.

Have had trouble paying in shops and restaurants at times in both destinations. In New York I once had to try 3 ATMs before I could get cash to pay for a meal.

There are also fees every time you want to withdraw cash, so I'm currently looking for an alternate
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    slipd wrote: »
    Just in the throws off applying for a Monzo, how quickly do you have to add the £100 to activate the card?

Immediately. At least I did.

There are a couple more hoops to jump through to activate the card too.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have used my Revolut Card for 2 trips to the US and once in Spain in the last 2 years.

Have had trouble paying in shops and restaurants at times in both destinations. In New York I once had to try 3 ATMs before I could get cash to pay for a meal.

There are also fees every time you want to withdraw cash, so I'm currently looking for an alternate
    If the ATM asks what kind of card, select 'credit card' - purchases may also need to be put through as a CC. The charges imposed by ATMs in USA apply to any card you use, not just Revolut. Take additional cards such as Monzo, Starling Bank, don't rely on only one.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    slipd wrote: »
    You will not be sent a card to activate until you load the first £100.
    Evolution, not revolution
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport