Stick with 'standard' broadband, or go for fibre?

Options
The most demanding thing I use my home internet for is streaming HD films from netflix - no torrenting or similar. I'm getting download speeds of around 12mbps with my current service - all seems to run OK. Occasionally Iplayer HD or channel 5 content stutters, but I'm not sure if that's a problem with the provider or at my end.

I can get fibre (which claims more like 40mbps download speeds) for about a fiver a month more, though. Any likely benefit from paying the extra?

Comments

• lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If you're just a sole user and don't watch 4K, 12mbps is more than adequate.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 March 2017 at 10:27PM
    Options
    Stick with 12 mbps.

Excellent value for money. you are very lucky
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'd love that speed as with PlusNet I'm lucky to get 5+, after 6+ with Sky. However we are usually ok at present with me browsing and my husband watching Youtube items.
  • EdwardB
    EdwardB Posts: 462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The most demanding thing I use my home internet for is streaming HD films from netflix - no torrenting or similar. I'm getting download speeds of around 12mbps with my current service - all seems to run OK. Occasionally Iplayer HD or channel 5 content stutters, but I'm not sure if that's a problem with the provider or at my end.

I can get fibre (which claims more like 40mbps download speeds) for about a fiver a month more, though. Any likely benefit from paying the extra?

I do downloads of between 100gb and 300gb a month and have around 14mb, I do NOT use streaming from Netflix anymore and do not watch those awful 4OD or MY5 because I like to be in an ad free world when possible.

I have read on here of people getting worst performance on Fibre, some because it is not Fibre to the door but to the cabinet and then the same crappy copper to the door. Also read of some issues with Plusnet on Fibre in areas of high demand.

I would just stick with what you have, spend the money on something you NEED or a hobby, build a media centre that gets rid of your need for paid TV and even for a TV licence.
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue. :cool::)
  • mnbvcxz
    mnbvcxz Posts: 382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you get 12 down already I agree its fine for most things except

If you get lots of people sharing your connection obviously or

You need a faster upload speed. This is the main benefit for fibre. I you want high quality video conferencing or to upload large files quickly fibre has the advantage.

Otherwise I agree, you probably won't notice the difference, and you can probably change your mind in a year anyway.
  • bitsandpieces
    bitsandpieces Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks all - sounds like I can stick with conventional broadband :)
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    EdwardB wrote: »
    I do NOT... watch those awful 4OD or MY5 because I like to be in an ad free world when possible.

You can use an ad-blocker to skip all ads on C5's catchup, and all but the first ad break in C4's.

On ITV, you can play the ad breaks in the background (while you're doing something else on the PC), and then skip back to the start of the programme, which will then play without ads.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Netflix streams at 5.5mbps for full 1080p with 5.1 surround sound.
  • HWW
    HWW Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    As I live very near the exchange, I get 20mbps 24/7 - more than adequate for my use at £4 a month.
  • editor1
    editor1 Posts: 287 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    If you cannot cope on 12Mb you must be a very heavy user or have a desire to move to 4K, which is highly limited and of little use on LCD TVs under 55ins in diameter. If you game and are close to your exchange greater DL speed/upload speed may be of benefit, however, at 12MB you should be able to stream most HD content easily and DL approx 6-8Gb of content per hour, at those speeds it would take you 12 hours to DL the largest games console games - where I live it takes up to a week, so count your blessings I'd say and stay with your 12Mb copper connection at a price point far lower than what you'll find Fibre offers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure