Smart Pig Loan Advice

Options
It's getting toward the last few weeks of term and my girlfriend and I have totally ran out of money (overdrafts included) and lending off parents is out of the equation as they put down our £700 deposit on our flat for us. So I have looked at Smart Pig 'the loan company by students, for students' and before I go any further I need to know a few things:
-is there anything I'm missing
-are there any hidden costs
-is this company reliable.

They allow up to £250 borrowing for first time users and I would be needing all of that, my next student loan comes in 41 days which is when I would pay back the alleged £340 I would owe, which is fine by me, IF that's is what I would be paying back, my girlfriend is suspicious of the whole thing and has read about hidden APR's.

I can't post a link to the site as I'm a new user but it's basically smart hyphen pig dot com.

I really need advice on if this is reliable as of today we no longer have money for food!! So if anyone could take a look at this and/or has had experience with his company please advise me. Thank you very much!

Comments

• tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,744 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Have you got anything you can sell. Could you work a few hours in a bar collecting glasses/serving.
    Re food, do you have anything in the store cupboard you could live off?
    Pawnbroker (only for the really desperate but their APR's may be better)
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They will show on your credit score. This does mean banks and building societies will see this and it is unlikely they will let you borrow from them, or perhaps even open bank accounts.

It will have a naegative impact and it is a ridiculous APR.

I would post in the Debt Free Wannabe board - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76

I realise you are not in debt, but they are usually very helpful to people in your circumstances and can come up with some alternative ideas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure