PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Leaving tenancy early due to sociopathic neighbours

Options

Comments

• allhailthekale
    Options
    When I viewed the property initially I was given the impression that it would be fine for my cat if he went out. The litter box was covered with bin bags. Regardless of what time of the day it was and regardless of who saw me, it is abnormal behaviour for someone to go into an industrial bin, climb over the top to reach the box, move the bags off of it and go through the effort of pulling out to dump on my doorstep.
  • allhailthekale
    Options
    I fail to see how my cat "annoyed" the neighbours. Funnily enough it is only my cat they resented being outside, never mind the other 5 or something cats that roam around out there.

I cannot leave due to my contract not ending for another 3 months unless I can get released early.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Why did you got to such efforts to conceal the litter box? I'd have just put it in the bin, as broken up as I could get it.

Maybe the other cats had access indoors so were not constantly locked out? Maybe their owners didn't leave 'snacks' out for them whilst hunting so they didn't attract other animals and vermin?
  • allhailthekale
    Options
    Well, I concealed it to make it look a bit better and I didn't want to just throw it in as it was?

You clearly do not own cats. You have a very tunnelled vision at owning animals.
  • Lunchbox
    Lunchbox Posts: 278 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If people put things in the incorrect bins, the council refuse to collect them and/or fine the freeholder which is passed on to the leaseholders via the service charge. Putting something like a cat littler tray not securely wrapped inside a bag and just 'covered' would result in our bins not being collected. They weren't emptied when people put unwrapped Christmas trees in them. If this is the case, it's perfectly understandable for a property manager or an irritated neighbour to remove it from the bin so that it gets collected/a fine avoided.

I also don't think the cat being outside is the problem, it's it being in the communal areas. This is unacceptable in most blocks of flats, as is having food out for it. I'm surprised that it didn't constitute a breach of the lease.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Well, I concealed it to make it look a bit better and I didn't want to just throw it in as it was?

You clearly do not own cats. You have a very tunnelled vision at owning animals.

No I just have an accurate vision of what is sociopathic and what isn't.

Its a bin. You chuck in whatever you want according to the council bin policy. Putting it in at night covered in big bags, plural, seems bizarre.

There must be a reason the neighbours are unhappy with your cat and not the several others. Maybe your behaviour is the issue, not the cat.
  • allhailthekale
    Options
    I agree with you, a bin is a bin.

There is nothing wrong with my behaviour at all. I never have parties, never play loud music etc.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    Unfortunately I cannot just get up and leave. It is not an option for me to move right now. I understand animals are for life and I understand that. I mean, I'm a vegan, I love animals. I love my cat that much that I know he deserves a home where he has the freedom to roam around. I have seen the new family and he is having a great time. It is far more crueller to keep a cat confined into a small flat all day.

No you don't.

If you did you wouldn't have got rid of your cat based on a few minor complaints with neighbours, especially when you only had 3 months on your lease and could have moved that soon!

Cats have the right to roam, whether the neighbours like that or not. You could have just ignored them, or you could have kept him in while you were at work and then let him out in the evenings. There was absolutely no need to dump your cat like you did, so at least be honest about the reasons, because the ones you are claiming are clearly not the real story.
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    OP, have you tried putting the litter tray back in the bin?

Even better, could you freecycle it? Or give it to the people who took your cat? Or give it to a cat shelter?
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    most leases are strict about leaving items in communal areas and a food bowl would normally be a definite "no-no"

my oh has 3 cats but they are certainly not allowed to roam communal areas and most leases would not allow animals in communal parts
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure