PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm's Thread 2016

Options

Comments

• Snorkypants
    Options
    Well, I finished Jane Eyre over the weekend and it was amazingly good. I'd read it several times but not recently so I could remember the plot but not how well written it is. It was soooooo good!

I've moved on to a library book now, A Curious Beginning by Deanna Raybourne. It's a steampunk mystery and since I enjoyed the Parasol Protectorate series I think I'll probably like it.

For those that like murder mysteries, I got my Dad Midwinter of the Spirit by Phil Rickman for Christmas and he really liked it.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The original actor playing Rebus on TV was John Hannah who I like a lot but just wasn't my idea of Rebus from reading a few of the books;).

Shocking miscasting, wasn't it?
  • mumps
    mumps Posts: 6,285 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Shocking miscasting, wasn't it?

I must try and find dvd's and see what they are both like, I just can't imagine John Hannah in the part. Maybe I "see" Ken Stott as Rebus because I knew he played him even though I hadn't seen it.
    Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The original actor playing Rebus on TV was John Hannah who I like a lot but just wasn't my idea of Rebus from reading a few of the books;).
    I wonder if they even read the book before they cast John Hannah as he seemed more like Ian Rankin himself then his character Rebus.
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Got a coupon for Ann Cleeves book The Moth Catcher for half price at WH Smiths and while there if you bought the Daily Express you got Peter May's the Lewis Man for £1. They have a different book every week on offer for £1 with this paper.
  • mumps
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    grunnie wrote: »
    I wonder if they even read the book before they cast John Hannah as he seemed more like Ian Rankin himself then his character Rebus.

Good point.
    Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    mumps wrote: »
    I must try and find dvd's and see what they are both like, I just can't imagine John Hannah in the part. Maybe I "see" Ken Stott as Rebus because I knew he played him even though I hadn't seen it.

I read the Rebus books long before the TV adaptations and never watched the Hannah ones because he was just so obviously wrong. I've always assumed that they really wanted Stott for the part but he was making "Messiah" at the time IIRC - it was definitely after "Messiah" finished that the recasting happened.
  • Gintotmelinda
    Options
    This thread is fascinating.

I like to read Elizabeth Peters and Barbara Michaels who are one and the same. Phil Rickman's Merrily Watkins series, vintage crime by Ngaio Marsh, Margery Allingham's Campion series, Dorothy Sayers. So mainly cosy crime. I also like Mary Stewart, my favourite book being My Brother Michael.

I haven't come across anyone with similar tastes....anyone out there?
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
  • mumps
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I read the Rebus books long before the TV adaptations and never watched the Hannah ones because he was just so obviously wrong. I've always assumed that they really wanted Stott for the part but he was making "Messiah" at the time IIRC - it was definitely after "Messiah" finished that the recasting happened.

Did you watch the Ken Stott ones? Were they any good? I really like Ken Stott so not sure why I have never seen them.
    Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500
  • Upsidedown_Bear
    Options
    My OH tells me that he read an interview with Ian Rankin where he said he had Ken Stott in mind when he wrote the Rebus books.
    Can't find it but will post a link if I do :)

There may be another TV series.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport