It's not a lot, but it's enough

Options

Comments

• SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Morning,

Had a great day at the races. I lost as much as I won and I found that when I started losing, I got scared and just stopped. The old me would have chased the win.

I had a bit of a sore head on Sunday and craved some comfort food which meant I didn't manage a NSD.

Today I'm going to get meal plans sorted and do some meal prep. Might look at using the slow cooker too.

Going to re-read the main points of Marie Kondo and then tackle it this weekend too.

Have a happy Monday everyone :)
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Morning all,

Not much to report really.

Struggling with the cold so I’ve not managed to the gym or do much tbh.

My first week in the new job was good. Of course, as you can imagine, to begin with it’s just getting my head round the new role and all that comes with it. They’ve told me that they’re not expecting fireworks straight away which is appreciated to give me some breathing space however I see that more as an opportunity to impress and I’m determined to get a chunky bit of business in to impress the new bosses.

I was listening to my podcasts yesterday and they had Dr on it who referred to making and breaking habits. Turns out that to make a daily habit you must do every day for 60 days (according to a study) and a good habit to have is to get up early. 1 thing that many successful business people have is that they get up early so they’ve time to shower or exercise or have a filling and healthy breakfast or read the newspapers or get a head start on emails etc etc. I’m not really a morning person but I’d love to be so I could do many of the above. I’m contemplating trying it to see how I get on – might fall asleep at my desk.

Not really much to report on the DFW side of things for now. Looking forward to payday just so I can make another payment on the CC. I’ve got 4 pays between now and the end of the year, so I’ve set myself a goal of being debt free for Christmas.

There. I’ve said it. Hold me to it. I’m going to do it!
  • ChicaBonita
    Options
    Hey Speky, glad the new job is going well! I'm also a not-so-morning person, and I read articles all the time about successful people who get up at 5:30am every day or similar. I did see an article by a guy that set himself a challenge to get up at 4:30am every workday (not weekends or holidays) and he said it gave him 2 more productive hours in the day, as while he went to bed earlier he was more productive in the two hours between 4:30am and 6:30am (when he used to get up). But, saying that, it takes me forever to wake up, so not sure how it would work for me!? I keep thinking I'll do something similar, but get up at 6:30am perhaps. Don't think that will happen until I have a reason to (either a particular job or kids lol!).
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Hey Speky, glad the new job is going well! I'm also a not-so-morning person, and I read articles all the time about successful people who get up at 5:30am every day or similar. I did see an article by a guy that set himself a challenge to get up at 4:30am every workday (not weekends or holidays) and he said it gave him 2 more productive hours in the day, as while he went to bed earlier he was more productive in the two hours between 4:30am and 6:30am (when he used to get up). But, saying that, it takes me forever to wake up, so not sure how it would work for me!? I keep thinking I'll do something similar, but get up at 6:30am perhaps. Don't think that will happen until I have a reason to (either a particular job or kids lol!).

Yeah I think I'm the same as you. But the guy who got up 4.30 on weekdays...when it comes to the weekend, doesn't he just sleep till like 8/9/10 and mess up his sleep pattern? Would it not have to be the same every, single, day?

When I was at Uni it took me nearly 2 hours to get in so I had to get up early and at the time Chris Moyles was live on Radio 1 and I'm a big fan of his so it was fine for me to wake up to him and get ready. He now has his show on Radio X which I try to listen to, so i could use that as my alarm clock and it may keep me up.
  • ChicaBonita
    Options
    I'm not sure, I think he said he got up around 6/7 on weekends so it wasn't too much of a struggle. I think for me I can get up late as I work a 10 minute drive from my house, so I have no real reason to be up super early. When I commuted I had to make the effort to be up earlier but it just meant I was tired all day! I think it's a case of being better by going to bed earlier?

Also, I'll hold you to being debt free by Christmas :P what a great present to yourself that would be!
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    I'm not sure, I think he said he got up around 6/7 on weekends so it wasn't too much of a struggle. I think for me I can get up late as I work a 10 minute drive from my house, so I have no real reason to be up super early. When I commuted I had to make the effort to be up earlier but it just meant I was tired all day! I think it's a case of being better by going to bed earlier?

Also, I'll hold you to being debt free by Christmas :P what a great present to yourself that would be!

You lucky !!!!!!!!

Yes, I get paid on 22nd of December, so indeed that would be the best Xmas present. :j
  • ChicaBonita
    Options
    Ha the short commute is one of the only perks of the job ;)
  • joeyjimbles
    Options
    Debt free by Christmas - good aim - and I really hope you make it. It does sound do-able in 4 paydays so I wish you all the best.

I am not a morning person but having children robs you of little things like personal preferences even if they are teenage and almost teenage now. I pretty much always wake up at 6am - I don't always get up then, especially not on weekends but I do find that I can't have a lie in anymore. The only time I ever manage to do so is if I've had a completely sleepless night which is rare.

I'm still more of a nightowl however and would much rather stay up late.
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00
    LD 11.24 £500.00/£397.50 (79%)    Fn £375                                                     
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£403.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£074.75 (16%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£025.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£084.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0750.00

• SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Yeah, Joey - totally achievable and then I'll go into 2017 saving, saving, saving!!!

Do you not find though that you're less productive late a night than early in the morning? I'm more likely to be awake at midnight - but staring at the TV than doing the ironing.
  • Mothershipa
    Options
    Hi speky, well done on your journey so far and good luck on your xmas target.

I would recommend the book called The miracle morning by Hal Elrod. I was always running late in the mornings dragging myself & kids out of bed now I'm up at 6.15 am.

Claire x
    Proud to be dealing with my debt. :)
    Debt Free Date [STRIKE]December 2018, September 2017[/STRIKE] July 2017 ( hopefully )
    May £10 A Day #21 £33.75/£310, NST May #18, May NSD 2/16,
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure