PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Thread Friday 16th September

Options
This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” is fine.
Chin up, Titus out.

Comments

• Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    Morning all
    Glad you had a good day Hilly
    Good vibes for anyone job hunting, my L&M has given up, we are looking at other avenues.
    Hugs to anyone else in need.
    We've had thunder and lightening since about 2 o'clock, it's been a beautiful storm.
    Off to work soon, lots of Ebay parcels to send off, childcare this afternoon and then we have to get ready for Saturday, hubby has to catch 6am train to Cheshire, I need to get ready for an all day workshop.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • ancientofdays
    Options
    Morning Hester and all who follow.

I had a lovely day yesterday, even though I did have some work that had to be done, it was under 3 hours to complete that.

I made wraps last night, chicken with salad stuff plus hm guacamole (for once the avocado was perfectly ripe) and refried beans 9 from a tin, the one time I made that from scratch, it took so long and I thought perhaps not, life's too short) with a few tortilla chips. Son also got 2 chicken thighs cooked in spices. It was all nice, I just had a little, husband had more son eats foe England. Somehow I managed to break the back off a big pre-molar eating a wrap and, what's worse, didn't realise so obviously have swallowed it. So that's going to come back and bite me in the bum, literally. It isn't hurting much but the shard of bone in my jaw is very painful now and although I'm not exactly looking forward to the dentist, I'll be glad to get it over.

Today a friend is coming to pick me up and we are going to a beautiful garden, oddly I have been there in spring and summer but seeing it as the leaves begin to fall will be new, and the plantings are bound to look different. I have some knitted things for her granddaughter.

Washing done but I may hold off on it going out as the weatherman says rain this morning then sun for the rest of the day.

Have to get a birthday gift for OH and my mum has asked me to get a gift from her too. I have only had one idea so this will be a challenge.

Hope everyone has as good a day as possible.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • nmlc
    nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone

HH - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need them x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Now light, dry and still warm, rain forecast for today, we'll see.

DH and I up enjoying first cuppas, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 now about to be woken as he's goin on a trip with college today, they are going to watch the British Touring Cars at Silverstone, he's been looking forward to it so much, hope they get to see a good days' racing.

Dinner last night was breaded pork escalopes, jacket potato, beans/veg/ cheese and side of mushrooms.

Had a bit of a challenge to sort yesterday but it did turn out ok in the end, I'd got an online shop booked to arrive between 4-5pm, and had a Docs appointment booked for 5.40pm, for meds that I'm still having to take after my severe allergic reaction, I can't just stop taking them and I'm going to run out over the weekend and we're going away this morning ..... everything is running along nicely yesterday until I get a text message from SM apologising that their delivery is going to be late and will arrive between 5.10pm and 5.40pm, so ring my Docs who were extremely helpful, cancelled the appointment and slotted me in first thing this morning, so all sorted after a while on the phone. Delivery arrives at 5.40pm, driver was lovely and apologised as soon as he arrived. I rang SM to ask to get the delivery charge taken off and had a money off coupon that wouldn't come off the bill when I'd tried at checkout online, so I asked if they could take that coupon off the shopping too, which they did, so they deducted £11.50 off my shop, result!

We're going off this morning, DH and I had words last night as he was being an a**e that I had to re-book the Docs appointment, he got the silent treatment, he absolutely hates it, soon makes him sort himself out.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    Morning folks and thanks for the new thread HESTER. Back with you after our five days over at the caravan.

Nice relaxing time but I didn't sleep as well as I usually do in the peace and quiet, as lots of my worries followed me. We had a scorcher on Wednesday and at night we were entertained by all the lightening forking down all around us. We seemed to just get the tail end of the storm and the rain fair clattered down on the caravan roof for an hour or so.

We tore ourselves away yesterday afternoon in blazing sunshine and did the weekly shop on the way home. It was a manic hour or so trying to unpack the car of 'van stuff, mucky washing and get the shopping away before the DGDs descended for tea. Threw a pan of Bolognaise on to cook whilst I dashed around. The washing is still piled up in front of the wm but whether it gets hung outside is anybody's guess. Not the best forecast.

I've tried to keep abreast of your news on my phone and was saddened and humbled by HILSTEP's post. You are one brave and determined lady and I admire you so much. Glad you had a good day yesterday.

Oh well I guess it's time to start wakening up the girls and oversee them getting dressed then feed and water them in readiness for the school run - they need to be out of the door and in the car by 8.15.

Have a good day all (((HUGS))) where wanted or needed and take care xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • camelot1001
    Options
    Morning All

Sounds like a good day hilstep - may you have many more.

Washing on the line, it's overcast at the moment and there has been rain overnight but I'm hoping the forecast is right for a sunny day.

Delivered old TD (one of the re-called ones) to Currys after work and got a new one, my neighbour will help me out with it this evening. Had a thought when I was there that I would have to get them out/in of the car myself but they were very helpful.

Met DD for dinner, we went to a beer/burger place in Merchant City, the food was excellent but I passed on the beer! The halloumi fries were particularly good.

I was woken in the middle of the night with a terrible pain in my leg, at the top of my calf, still sore this morning but have no idea what it is.

Early finish for me today, must go and visit my garden after work and do some shopping.

Happy Friday! Take care. XX
  • lonewhitewolf
    Options
    Morning all
    did not get chance to post yesterday, as DH took day of work to recover from all the stress of FIL.. he has gone down today to see him and will not be back till tomorrow. Still not looking good as hospital have called a meeting to discuss what happens next.
    So yesterday was a day spent doing not much at all. Got loads to do today but at least i can spread it out. Dinner tonight will be something simple like jacket spuds as its just me. DD2 is always out on a Friday night with mates ice skating.
    WM needs to go on but weather is pants so will have to tumble it.
    DW needs emptying, house needs cleaning and if Im honest i do not have the get up and go to do it.
    To top things off yesterday we lost our leopard pleco of 4 years (the last original fish from our wedding present ) so now tank looks a bit empty.
    Got to shake this lethargic negative mood and get a grip as my dad would say.
    Anyhoo hugs to all in need x
    Bright Blessings xx
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all,

Pouring with rain here we are on a weather morning for severe rain till lunchtime, its typical its my friends party tonight in the woods at work, she was having a disco and bring a chair and a plate, it will probably have to be inside now which will make it a bit quieter I think.

Off to work for me and the rain will keep people away so a quiet day ahead but will get lots done.

Takeaway tonight and will see what the weather is doing before deciding about the party, if I don't go it will be takeaway and wine at home so a good night either way.

Hilstep your day of memories sounds blissful, I hope you can store many more up for your family xx

Have good days all xx
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,876 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning - thanks for the thread Hester x

Glad you had a nice day out Hilstep xx

Raining cats and dogs here, such a change from earlier in the week, but the garden needed it. I am at the church today. A couple of issues to sort with room bookings that were made before I took on the diary two weeks ago. I will need my tact and diplomacy this morning for sure.

DH is low again as nothing on the horizon job wise. I have two to apply for today, so will do that this afternoon. Hester - will DH stay put until you move? What's the plan?

JackieO - safe journey to Scotland with your DD and enjoy the family gathering x
    Lainey - hope you can get Mums care plan organised for her to come home x

Hugs to anyone I've missed
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn 12/24
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone, hey TA :hello:

Cloudy but no rain here yet, still feels muggy and we could do with a good storm, they all seem to have passed us by so far.

Mum was on better form yesterday, we found a wheelchair and took her outside for some fresh air, DB was there and it was lovely to sit in the sunshine for a while. Am so pleased with my hair, it feels a lot lighter on my head and it's a gorgeous colour, even my brother noticed which is saying something :rotfl:
    Today we need to get some food shopping and have some vouchers for Sainsbobs so will drive into Ely as that is our nearest one. DOH has suggested we go out for breakfast as well so will try a tea shop that has been recommended. Other than that there is the usual chores to be done, Mum this afternoon and hope to see Bill later as well.

HIllstep, your memory day sounds fabulous and what a good idea, need to get my thinking cap on! Xx

Have a good day everyone, take care folks xx
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Morning chums,

They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I'm in work without having mine and my stomachs rumbling. Big mistake, particularly when trying for a NSD.

Yesterday after work we had a staff BBQ which proved to be a great opportunity to meet other members of staff from different departments. The food was lovely and the venue was amazing. On the MSE side of things, it meant I had a NSD.

I need to do some clothes shopping tonight - mostly for work. After reading Marie Kondo's book, I know that I'll end up getting rid of clothes that I've had for 4 + years which'll leave my cupboards and drawers empty.

All my friends and I are going to Ayr Racecourse tomorrow for the Gold Cup. We do it every year and organise a bus there and back. I'll give myself a little bit of gambling money and once it's gone, it's gone. Must admit, I'm usually not to bad with the betting, so fingers crossed.

Hilstep - What a fab day that sounds.
    Jackie - Safe travels today.
    Camelot - You dinner sounds good, halloumi fries?! May I ask where?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure