Skip left on my property

Options

Comments

• scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Get the local rag involved with you standing beside it with a sad face. maybe a couple of kids and a dog would also help. The rag will hopefully name the company or get a picture with the name in the picture. Most don't want publicity or bad press.
  • Litchielou
    Options
    Get local newspaper involved, spread all trueful information on any review sites for both companies, Facebook and Twitter also a good place to start.
    This will hopefully hit there reputation.
  • baldelectrician
    Options
    Do the skip company belong to a trade organisation?

You could complain to that.

Have you called trading standards?

I would suggest you organise your own skip to dispose of the waste and ask them to deliver the skip on site to the rightful owner.
    baldly going on...
  • SkipWoes
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    The OP says that the builders rented the skip, so if they are now using it to place waste from other jobs on the OP's land, it is fly-tipping, which is a criminal, not a civil offence.

I think this avenue is worth exploring, but much depends on how pro-active the council's staff are and how easy it will be to prove. Video evidence, possibly.
    Thanks, i have reported them for Fly tipping and i do have video footage of it ;-)
  • SkipWoes
    Options
    You need to call the council first for a permit and don't forget to buy some lights and cones.
    Well, i have a front area i can place another skip alongside to offload the contents, so that is ok.
    Then there is a driveway that is public land and then the road which is only wide enough for 1 car (and i live in the entrance to a cul-de-sac) so i cannot really move it onto that.

Maybe i could pay the skip company to move the skip onto another nearby wide road ? Would i need a permit for that as i have not hired the skip myself ? Surely my sociopathic ex-builder would be responsible for that ?
  • SkipWoes
    Options
    Only if they fail to put everything in writing - - "If a trader has left property behind, you may be allowed to keep them, sell them or get rid of them as the trader is in breach of contact if goods were not collected by an agreed date"

In fact, that was something i thought of. I could send a letter to the skip owner and tell them that if they dont remove there skip from my property within X days, i will consider them to no longer want it and dispose of it...
  • SkipWoes
    SkipWoes Posts: 13 Forumite
    edited 8 September 2017 at 9:31AM
    Options
    EachPenny wrote: »
    I think it might be worth exploring the legality of this. The builder is taking business waste from one site and depositing it in a skip at another site (not his depot).

I don't know the rules that well, but I understand he would need a waste carriers licence. There is also an obligation on him to dispose of his waste appropriately. Dumping it in a skip on private land owned by a third party - arguably without permission - doesn't sound like it would comply with the obligations he has.

It might be useful to explore the Environment Agency website to get a better idea of the law.

It shouldn't need saying, but for the benefit of anyone reading the thread in future and thinking the suggestion of dumping the waste in the road is a good one, then don't. You would be committing a criminal offence and making yourself liable to severe penalties. It would also not be difficult for the enforcement authorities to put 2 and 2 together to realise the flytipped waste had come from the skip on your property. ...Assuming that is your neighbours weren't the ones who already reported you for antisocial and illegal behaviour.

Looked into this; they dont have a waste carriers licence in there company name. They do have one in a company name that does not exist, but even that is the wrong type of licence to allow them to transport building/construction waste. I also have video footage of them doing it.

I told them to remove the skip by today or i would report them. The builder ignored me and the skip is still there. He is like something out of Rouge Traders & Watchdog!
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Options
    SkipWoes wrote: »
    Well, i have a front area i can place another skip alongside to offload the contents, so that is ok.
    Then there is a driveway that is public land and then the road which is only wide enough for 1 car (and i live in the entrance to a cul-de-sac) so i cannot really move it onto that.

Maybe i could pay the skip company to move the skip onto another nearby wide road ? Would i need a permit for that as i have not hired the skip myself ? Surely my sociopathic ex-builder would be responsible for that ?

You need a permit to place a skip on the road.
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,242 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When you say "you", there is nothing to say that it wasn't the owner of the skip who placed the skip where it is.

Whoever it is that reports the skip being on the road to the council will only be able to say they see a skip with a company name on the side.

Nothing to do with the OP, especially if it's empty.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks, i have reported them for Fly tipping and i do have video footage of it ;-)
    Looked into this; they dont have a waste carriers licence in there company name. They do have one in a company name that does not exist, but even that is the wrong type of licence to allow them to transport building/construction waste. I also have video footage of them doing it.

As Doozergirl suggests, don't expect the company to get 'done' for flytipping (the issue is more about unlawful transport and 'storage' of waste) but the involvement of the council (and/or EA) might be sufficient for the builder and/or skip company to decide it would be sensible to remove the skip asap.

Hope the council are able to offer you some kind of help.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport