PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Adventures in Homebrewland (image heavy - you have been warned!)

Options

Comments

• Jastons
    Jastons Posts: 7,545 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have just been reading about how to make a live yeast culture for sourdough bread and was wondering if anyone had tried making their own live yeast culture to use for homebrew?
    :cool:
  • MrDT
    MrDT Posts: 951 Forumite
    Options
    Jastons wrote: »
    I have just been reading about how to make a live yeast culture for sourdough bread and was wondering if anyone had tried making their own live yeast culture to use for homebrew?

You can use unwashed wild food. There should be enough wild yeast on the skin of apples to start fermentation. The other option is to cover your fermenting bucket with muslin and leave outside for a day or two, natural yeast from the air will find its way into the mixture to start the process off, you can then airlock properly and keep the brew indoors.

I've been reading a book called "The Wild Life", very interesting stuff if you're interested in living off the land. Full of "old style" homebrew recipes :)
  • annajayne
    annajayne Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advice if anyone could be so kind. I started my homebrew cider last night, followed instructions here and used a balloon with a pin !!!!! in to seal the demi john, however my mixture has not been bubbling up much and looks like ale(a few bubbles on top but thats it!). Is there anything I can do to salvage my precious brew?

Many thanks,
    Annie
  • MrDT
    MrDT Posts: 951 Forumite
    Options
    annajayne wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advice if anyone could be so kind. I started my homebrew cider last night, followed instructions here and used a balloon with a pin !!!!! in to seal the demi john, however my mixture has not been bubbling up much and looks like ale(a few bubbles on top but thats it!). Is there anything I can do to salvage my precious brew?

Many thanks,
    Annie

I'm no expert (haha not in the tiniest bit) but my first thought would be - is it warm enough?
  • annajayne
    Options
    MrDT wrote: »
    I'm no expert (haha not in the tiniest bit) but my first thought would be - is it warm enough?

I have to say I was wondering this too, maybe the garage isn't the best place...It is worth a try to move it somewhere else, I shall give it a go.
    Thank you:)
  • Austin_Allegro
    Austin_Allegro Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    DdraigGoch wrote: »
    Hello from a lurker :wave:

I'm wondering if it's possible to brew anything successfully in a FREEZING cold house? We are working on making it warmer, but currently we consider it a triumph if the lounge gets to 17' ..... the kitchen never gets near that!

I know that it has to be possible - how else did the mediaeval brewers manage? - but I'd really appreciate some advice.

Many thanks in advance

17 degrees should be ok. I don't think the room where I keep my demijohn is much more than that.

In the pre-central heating days (or if you wanted to keep your demijohns in a shed or something) people used heating belts, but I don't know if you can still get these.

Do you have any warm place in the house you could use? Aga, airing cupboard etc? Alternatively, do what the prisoners in Colditz used to do, and put the demijohn under the blankets with you at night!
    'Never keep up with Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper.' Quentin Crisp
  • Austin_Allegro
    Austin_Allegro Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You could improvise a cheap demijohn by using one of those gallon/5l mineral water barrels. The kind you get in mediterranean holiday resort mini-markets. They cost about £2 from supermarkets I think. You could then use a baloon instead of a proper airlock.
    'Never keep up with Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper.' Quentin Crisp
  • CiderBoy
    CiderBoy Posts: 61 Forumite
    edited 22 June 2009 at 7:16PM
    Options
    annajayne wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Many thanks,
    Annie

If it's still not going then put your hand over the top of the demijohn and give it a vigorous shake - that's worked on a few of mine.
  • annajayne
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice:)
    I gave the demijohn a good shake and also put it in my conservatory overnight. The next morning I found the balloon had exploded! Luckily I had covered the carpet and popped a little bag over the top so mess was minimal.. So something worked! And I popped to Wilkinsons today to get some equipment. I have to say the liquid at the moment smells vile! I used to work in a pub and it smells like the cellar, so I guess I must be on the right track. As for sleeping with the demi john..... I don't think I'll be trying that!!

Thanks again all!
  • shelley_crow
    shelley_crow Posts: 1,644 Forumite
    Options
    17 degrees should be ok. I don't think the room where I keep my demijohn is much more than that.

In the pre-central heating days (or if you wanted to keep your demijohns in a shed or something) people used heating belts, but I don't know if you can still get these.

Hi, I've been following the thread with interest and am in the process of starting my own cider. My parents used to make homebrew wine in the 1970s. I've been looking for equipment and came across a heating belt in this place

http://www.shop4homebrew.co.uk/index1.html

How long did the process take from start to finish? x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport