PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Adventures in Homebrewland (image heavy - you have been warned!)

Options

Comments

• Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    That sounds interesting AA. I have both in my garden, so I'll have to give that a try. Thanks for posting the recipe. :)
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,565 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 June 2009 at 6:53AM
    Options
    An urgent ? please -
    I started elderflower champagne yesterday and have covered it over with muslin, as per recipe.
    Is it alright/necessary/no-no land to loosely sit the bucket lid on top of this?
    I can justify all 3 in my mind, but would like to know which is correct and why.
    Thankyou.
    ############
    a p.s. - bought 1.5 litres of sterilising liquid from Poundland - have scrubbed and lain the green lemonade bottles in bath of this to soak.

May try the elderflower wine, too - any recommended recipes?
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• constantinum
    Options
    hi,
    that is a great post made me think actually.
  • shandypants5
    shandypants5 Posts: 2,124 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 June 2009 at 7:56AM
    Options
    Bongedone wrote: »
    Methanol is produced by fermention of wood. You will not get any methanol from home brewing.

You will not find methanol in commercial products either. It is highly toxic.

I am sorry but your wrong, Methanol can be produced by fermentation of plant matter, including fruit.

From Wikipedia.

Methanol is produced naturally in the anaerobic metabolism of many varieties of bacteria, and is ubiquitous in the environment. As a result, there is a small fraction of methanol vapor in the atmosphere. Over the course of several days, atmospheric methanol is oxidized by oxygen with the help of sunlight to carbon dioxide and water.

and

Because of its toxic properties, methanol is frequently used as a denaturant additive for ethanol manufactured for industrial uses— this addition of methanol economically exempts industrial ethanol from the rather significant 'liquor' taxes that would otherwise be levied as it is the essence of all potable alcoholic beverages. Methanol is often called wood alcohol because it was once produced chiefly as a byproduct of the destructive distillation of wood. It is now produced synthetically by a multi-step process:

And this from HERE at the Food standards agency.

European Council regulation 1576/89 lays down no specific limit for methanol in vodka. However, vodka is produced exclusively from ethyl alcohol of agricultural origin, for which a methanol limit of 50 g per hectolitre of 100% volume alcohol applies. On these grounds, vodka should contain no more than 0.5g methanol per litre of 100% volume alcohol.
    “Careful. We don't want to learn from this.”
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ampersand wrote: »
    An urgent ? please -
    I started elderflower champagne yesterday and have covered it over with muslin, as per recipe.
    Is it alright/necessary/no-no land to loosely sit the bucket lid on top of this?
    I can justify all 3 in my mind, but would like to know which is correct and why.
    Thankyou.

We put the lid on the bucket loosely and didn't use muslin. I think the muslin is just to keep flys and things out, but still allows it to breathe. :confused:
  • Bongedone
    Bongedone Posts: 2,457 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am sorry but your wrong, Methanol can be produced by fermentation of plant matter, including fruit.

From Wikipedia.

Methanol is produced naturally in the anaerobic metabolism of many varieties of bacteria, and is ubiquitous in the environment. As a result, there is a small fraction of methanol vapor in the atmosphere. Over the course of several days, atmospheric methanol is oxidized by oxygen with the help of sunlight to carbon dioxide and water.

and

Because of its toxic properties, methanol is frequently used as a denaturant additive for ethanol manufactured for industrial uses— this addition of methanol economically exempts industrial ethanol from the rather significant 'liquor' taxes that would otherwise be levied as it is the essence of all potable alcoholic beverages. Methanol is often called wood alcohol because it was once produced chiefly as a byproduct of the destructive distillation of wood. It is now produced synthetically by a multi-step process:

And this from HERE at the Food standards agency.

European Council regulation 1576/89 lays down no specific limit for methanol in vodka. However, vodka is produced exclusively from ethyl alcohol of agricultural origin, for which a methanol limit of 50 g per hectolitre of 100% volume alcohol applies. On these grounds, vodka should contain no more than 0.5g methanol per litre of 100% volume alcohol.

I stand corrected. I better try and avoid drinking a litre at a time then.
  • Austin_Allegro
    Austin_Allegro Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Gigervamp wrote: »
    That sounds interesting AA. I have both in my garden, so I'll have to give that a try. Thanks for posting the recipe. :)

I have seen recipes online for nettle wine and lemon balm wine, but not a combination of the two, but it seems to work ok. Nettles and lemon balm are the two plants that grow rampant in my garden so it makes sense to use them!

BTW I haven't done a two step fermentation with this recipe (ie, leaving the mulch to ferment in a covered bowl). Is there any particular reason why people do this? Is it to stop violent over-fermentation in the jar or does it give a more full bodied wine than the stewing/simmering method?
    'Never keep up with Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper.' Quentin Crisp
  • stevenhp1987
    stevenhp1987 Posts: 907 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    These "buckets" that people use for wine...

My friend has 2x 1 gallon buckets, with one lid - the lid has no air holes or anything...

Can one make wine/cider in this or does it need to breathe somehow and how would one do this? cheers, Steve
  • nopot2pin
    nopot2pin Posts: 5,721 Forumite
    edited 8 June 2009 at 7:29PM
    Options
    These "buckets" that people use for wine...

My friend has 2x 1 gallon buckets, with one lid - the lid has no air holes or anything...

Can one make wine/cider in this or does it need to breathe somehow and how would one do this? cheers, Steve

You can use them, and losely cover the bucket.
    Although it is safer to use an airlock...
    At least that way, once everything has been sanitised, and the airlock is fitted, nothing should be able to get in and spoil what you are making.

There are a few wine and beer making forums around that may explain it better than I can :o

Link1 and Link2 are a couple that I sometimes check out (I prefer the second link)
    But there are many more around...
    Hope this helps
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ampersand wrote: »
    An urgent ? please -
    Thankyou.
    ############
    a p.s. - bought 1.5 litres of sterilising liquid from Poundland - have scrubbed and lain the green lemonade bottles in bath of this to soak.

May try the elderflower wine, too - any recommended recipes?

Just make sure the lid is really loose or you'll have elderflower champagne flavoured ceilings :D
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback