Changing destination 19 days before departure, 2 days after booking

Options
I booked a package holiday with Thomson on Sunday morning, looking into the destination on Monday evening. By today, I had a change of heart and wished to change the destination (or cancel). I was advised the terms and conditions state a 90% total charge for cancellations and a change of destination would not be possible. Changing the passenger names is possible before end of the week for £50 per passenger. ABTA don't seem to advise on changing the destination. Can anyone here offer any advice?

Comments

• jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,317 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    My advice? Do your research before booking next time

To slightly misquote: 'Book in haste, repent at leisure'

Your best option seems to be finding someone else to go and do the name change, but you may struggle with your timeframe and the fact that it's to somewhere you don't want to go to (if you don't want to go there, why would anyone else?)
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • stephb34
    stephb34 Posts: 2,064 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can you change all the passengers names, usually one of the passengers names has to be one of the originals off the booking?
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    What have you booked?

It might not be that bad. Why not go on to some of the destination forums on Trip Advisor and see what's going on there. You might even enjoy yourself on holiday!
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Options
    I'd go and give it a try, might not be too bad in the end then go to the other place next year
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • Moto2
    Moto2 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    Options
    stephb34 wrote: »
    Can you change all the passengers names, usually one of the passengers names has to be one of the originals off the booking?

Not sure with Thomson's but I changed all names (2) on a Thomas Cook flight last year
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
  • stephb34
    stephb34 Posts: 2,064 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Moto2 wrote: »
    Not sure with Thomson's but I changed all names (2) on a Thomas Cook flight last year

Ooh you were lucky or maybe its because it was flight only that they let you, or perhaps you got someone at admin with a heart. Thomas cook are adamant that not all names can be changed, but maybe that's a package holiday.
  • Archergirl
    Archergirl Posts: 1,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why have you changed your mind?
    Where have you booked to go?
  • Hersetta
    Hersetta Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    It is seen as a cancellation and subject probably to a 100% cancellation fee. If you had done it within 24hrs you could have cancelled as part of your cooling off period.

Why didn't you bother doing research before you booked? I find it crazy that anyone would book a holiday without doing this first.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Hersetta wrote: »
    It is seen as a cancellation and subject probably to a 100% cancellation fee. If you had done it within 24hrs you could have cancelled as part of your cooling off period.

Why didn't you bother doing research before you booked? I find it crazy that anyone would book a holiday without doing this first.
    Is there a cooling off period for holiday bookings?
  • Archergirl
    Archergirl Posts: 1,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Think we're wasting our time, no response from OP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure