upcoming 2018 ISA---A damp squib?

Options
So it will soon be that time when financial institutions try to mug people into paying money into cash ISAs for a pittance whilst they bang it out the back door at 4/5 and more.

What other options are there?

S&S ISA? ,buying in at the top or upslope of a potentially falling market? That could be a worse option than the rubbish cash ISA !

HTB/LISA's? What if you dont qualify?
Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..

Comments

• Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 February 2018 at 1:29PM
    Options
    An adult can choose between a Cash ISA (including HTB ISA if a FTBer), a S&S ISA, a LISA (if under 40 in cash or s&s) and an IF ISA (generally P2P lending).

Personally we are investing in mixed assets for the long term 20+ years in LISAs (s&s) and S&S ISAs. All our cash is cycled around 5% regular savers. I am not a fan of IF ISAs.
  • cjv
    cjv Posts: 513 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Newshound!
    Options
    What month should I look out for, for new ISA deals to come on the Market? This is my first year saving so I was wondering if there is a "best" time of year to transfer ISA's.

Hopeful of a new Cash LISA product or two to appear.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    To be honest I don't fancy your chances of a stonkingly good Cash ISA deal appearing this March or April.
  • cjv
    cjv Posts: 513 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Newshound!
    Options
    Yeah I won't hold my breath :(

I am just looking to move my Nutmeg LISA to Cash soon as my plans to purchase a property have come forward to this year or next year. I need to protect those pounds!
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    So it will soon be that time when financial institutions try to mug people into paying money into cash ISAs for a pittance whilst they bang it out the back door at 4/5 and more.

What other options are there?

S&S ISA? ,buying in at the top or upslope of a potentially falling market? That could be a worse option than the rubbish cash ISA !

HTB/LISA's? What if you dont qualify?

You shouldn't think of S&S ISAs as even vaguely similar to cash ISAs. S&S ISAs are for investments and should be for the long term, whereas cash ISAs are for savings and can be for whatever timescale you like.

Your comments about a, "potentially falling market" suggest that this isn't a product for you. Markets are always potentially going to fall, just as they are always potentially going to rise. We can all make guesses about what will happen next (some will be more educated than others), but they are just guesses. The point is that by investing over the long term, i.e decades, history shows that you should increase your wealth and protect it from inflation.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    Alexland wrote: »
    To be honest I don't fancy your chances of a stonkingly good Cash ISA deal appearing this March or April.

If it did happen, It would be the first time in many years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure