Best Credit Card to use for large purchase

Options
Hi All,

Hoping someone can advise me on my upcoming kitchen purchase.
  1. New kitchen is planned, let's say ~£20k
  2. I could pay for this out of savings, but aware that I could earn some cashback/other benefits if I put this on a newly obtained credit card with "initial bonus offer" etc
  3. Aware that I would probably only be granted an ~£15k credit limit, so would split the cost as £15k on the card, and pay the rest on debit card etc
  4. Card balance would then be paid in full on the next payment date

So the question is, which credit card would give maximum benefit for the above spend? Amex card 5% cashback sounds great on the face of it, but the cashback is only on 1st £2k. Is there a card which would give lower % cashback but for the full £15k for example?

Or am I better off going for a card which award something other than cashback, such as Avios points etc or Nectar points?

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    You credit limit, if accepted, is going to be dependent on your circumstances. You might get £20k. You might get £250.

You don't give any idea of your credit history, so it's impossible to say what your best option may be. With that in mind, I would start with an eligibility checker.
  • akhurmi
    Options
    Indeed that has been done - let's assume £15k credit limit, as per point #3 on my initial post.
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.

I’ve moved your thread from the ‘I wanna’ board to the ‘Credit Cards’ board, where it is better suited.

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • akhurmi
    Options
    Ok thanks Nile
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Cashback cards:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/cashback-credit-cards

Or another way of doing it is to put it on a 0% purchases card and the money you would have spent, invest in high interest savings accounts / current accounts.

0% purchase cards:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/best-0-credit-cards

Savings & current accounts:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/savings-accounts-best-interest
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • Toki
    Toki Posts: 288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    akhurmi wrote: »
    Hi All,

Hoping someone can advise me on my upcoming kitchen purchase.
    1. New kitchen is planned, let's say ~£20k
    2. I could pay for this out of savings, but aware that I could earn some cashback/other benefits if I put this on a newly obtained credit card with "initial bonus offer" etc
    3. Aware that I would probably only be granted an ~£15k credit limit, so would split the cost as £15k on the card, and pay the rest on debit card etc
    4. Card balance would then be paid in full on the next payment date

So the question is, which credit card would give maximum benefit for the above spend? Amex card 5% cashback sounds great on the face of it, but the cashback is only on 1st £2k. Is there a card which would give lower % cashback but for the full £15k for example?

Or am I better off going for a card which award something other than cashback, such as Avios points etc or Nectar points?

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

I would find out if the retailer will accept American Express first of all as these cards will give you the best cashback.

If they do, I would get the Amex Preferred Gold Charge Card which will give you 20K MR points, or 22k if referred once spend £2k in 3 months. Note this is a charge card and requires to be paid in full each month.

Th points equates to £120 minimum or possibly a lot more if you can use for airmiles such as Avios or Virgin miles for example. Even taking as cash, this equals a return of £120 for £2k spend. Remember to transfer the points and cancel the card before the first year to avoid the £140 fee. For more points, refer a friend or partner before you close.

For the remainder of the balance for the kitchen, if they would allow you to spread the cost across more than 1 card, have a look at the link provided Candyapple.
  • chattychappy
    Options
    Check if they will take CC. They might accept it for a deposit, but be sure to check if they will accept it for the whole balance. Now they can't charge extra for CC, they might not be so keen to take it for the balance if you are already "on the hook".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure