Single, six kids and going to be debt free!

Options

Comments

• Mumoffourkids
    Options
    Thanks for commenting the oldmansmrs. I used to get meat in bulk from a guy who had his own business. It was all from Smithfield meat market in London and was good quality but reasonable in price. But he sold his business and the new person didn't seem to do much with it. So since then I have been looking at ways to save on meat. I might try the makro meat and see how it goes. It's mainly chicken breasts, chicken thighs, mince and sausages that we eat. If I can save on them, then great.

In other news today, I sold my daughter's old mobile phone that refused to start up. It did an upgrade and then went funny. I think it probably had something to do with her dropping it down the toilet as well! Well I tried to get spoke to fix it but they wanted £280 plus vat which was more than the phone was worth. So the other day it got sent off and today I got £40 into my bank account. It's gone straight off my next debt.

I don't think much else has happened, oh apart from eldest daughter needing glasses. I took other three elder children to have their eyes tested today. Two of them don't need glasses but eldest does. Her right eye is fine but her left eye is awful. She hadn't noticed it before as the right eye was working hard to make up for her left eye. Anyway free glasses picked out and will be picked up next week!
  • Mumoffourkids
    Options
    So I thought I would do a round up on how I am doing with my target debt and total debts.

Target Debt No 2: £224.17/£412.05 46% paid - I am hoping this will be paid off in March. At the moment it is due to be paid in April but I reckon I can get it paid earlier.

Target Debt No 3: £400/£1000 40% paid - This is my overdraft which I am currently not in but I will be again at the end of the month. I only count how much has been paid off this one at the end of the month as that is when I pay my two big bills of rent and childcare. I am hoping this will be paid off this month, this is as long as my ex husband gets a bonus this month. If he does, he pays me a percentage of his bonus. If I get the same amount as last year, then this will clear the rest of my overdraft!

Total Debts: £12618.16/£23057.16 45% paid - But the big thing is here that one of the debts that is still outstanding seems to have disappeared! So if I don't count that one then I only owe £7899.56/£23057.16!!

So all looking good and if the debt that has disappeared stays gone, then I will be debt free in November if not sooner if I can save money/make more money from somewhere!

However there is a list of things that I want that would make my life easier and I still have rugby tours to save up for!

So the list of things to save for is as follows:
    Minis rugby tour spending money £200/£200 (I have saved £150 but am being given £50 on the weekend from one of the rugby girls who is staying in our caravan)
    Girls Rugby Tour £3/£155 This is the amount still to pay but no spending money needed as the amount I have paid includes all food all weekend!
    New Laptop £0/£150
    New pushchair and buggy board £0/£150
    New Large upright freezer £0/£150
    New shelving unit for girls room £0/£60
    Little bits for around the house like washing basket £0/£50

The last few bits is stuff that I would like and they would make my life easier. I am prepared to get secondhand stuff and I know I can get a laptop from the computer shop down the road for a maximum of £150 if not less.

I have £34.50 left of my birthday money and £207.15 left of my nan's money. I also have £23.66 earmarked from sales for new furniture. I also have money saved up in my household fund which would be used for appliance replacements as the landlord does the fixing of the bits round the house.

I am very impatient and really want these bits now but I am now waiting until I have saved for them. In the past I would have just gone out and bought them when I wanted them, but I am thinking about money more and definitely not just spending when I feel like it!
  • charlies_tribe
    Options
    You have done fantastic in such a short space of time. Well done.
    LBM in April 17 - £14998/£33554 (44.6%) paid. Mortgage@1 June 18 = £9935/£76350 paid.Total debt @june 18 £102311 now £84972GC Jan £40.99/£500 2021 declutter 85/2021 items 0/20 bags clothes
  • Mumoffourkids
    Options
    Thanks Charlie's Tribe. I have had a bit of luck in this short time but being on here has definitely made me think more about money. I am saving at least £40 a week from my food, petrol and spending money budgets. But the money is there if I need it.

In theory this week I should save £30 from my petrol budget, hopefully £15 from my food budget and at least £30 from my general spending budget! This will go towards the next rugby tour.

I also have loads of things to sell still and seeing as there is no rugby matches this Sunday, Sunday will be a day of sorting out and listing items for sale!
  • Drawingaline
    Drawingaline Posts: 2,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You are doing so well. I am also a bit of a 'i want it now' type person 'i will put it on the card and pay it on payday'. Never happens :( my daughter sent me some pictures of bits she wants for her birthday in march. I got them into the basket on Amazon before thinking, 'i have no way of paying for these' so they are in my basket and i will get them on the 25th. There is no rush her birthday is mid march. Actually I may get my mil to get them for her next week when she is here......still for her birthday and we get her something else.
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • Mumoffourkids
    Options
    Previously I used to work out my money of how much I needed for the week and then just think oh I have spare, I'll spend that. Or I used to think my overdraft was my money as well. There are so many things I want at the moment and I am being so restrained I can't believe it.

I have just cashed out a £5 Amazon voucher on shoppix as I had someone sign up using my referral code. No idea who did but thank you. If anyone else wants to sign up, my code is 403QL9Y8!:D

So I now have £20 in Amazon vouchers to use for my son's birthday presents. I have some bits for him already but will get him a few more clothes.

Today will be spent at home with the youngest two. Not doing much over the weekend either as no rugby matches on Sunday! So I might transfer some of my general spending over to savings as I still have loads left and I don't plan on spending much at the weekend! I will be mainly sorting out the house to try and find some more bits to sell. I also want to clear the garage a bit in order to find room for the bikes and scooters.
  • Mumoffourkids
    Options
    So tonight was chicken curry, rice and naan bread for dinner, followed by homemade chocolate cake or chocolate brownies for pudding. Pudding was made by dd2. Tomorrow she is making chocolate fudge and doughnut cakes. There goes my diet! And the ingredients I have to buy are not helping my budget!

Today has been a collapse on the sofa day. My son decided half four this morning was a good time to wake up. And my youngest has been poorly, so she went for a sleep and I may have had a nap on the sofa with my son!

I have also transferred £50 of my general spending funds to savings. This has come out of petrol and general budgets. I should have another £10 from petrol to transfer on Sunday as I still have petrol and only thing I have to drive to is rugby training tomorrow morning. Also still got some left in general fund and food but I think food will take a bit tomorrow for ingredients!

A little catch up with housework and washing tonight and then an early night tonight I think!
  • Mumoffourkids
    Options
    So this morning I have had a cheque in the post from natwest regarding my packaged bank account fees claim. It's only for £67.30 which is the interest but I suppose it's better than nothing. I will have to pay that in next week.

However they did find that I didn't receive a preferential loan rate so they have refunded that amount to the amount I owe. Which is good but that is one of the debts that the bank decided not to chase for:mad:. I have no idea how much they have refunded either!

I suppose the interest back is better than nothing and it go towards my next target debt which will mean that that will only have about £60 to go and I might try and pay that this month!

Next to do is copy ppi documents I have and send them off. I definitely paid ppi on a loan I had years ago as I still have the paperwork. And I am still waiting on a reply about an old credit card that I had ppi on. I still have the statements from 1999.

I might do a bit of sorting out in the loft this weekend, see if I can find anymore old paperwork.
  • Drawingaline
    Options
    Wow, go you for keeping paperwork that long. I am trying to remember if I had a bank account with fees for a while. However it may have been while I was an employee of said bank so I got a discounted rate, so not sure that would apply.
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    Congrats on the cheque for the bank fees. And it’s always worth going for as much ppi rebates as you can. My friend’s total has hit over the £10,000 mark!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business