IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

DRP, now Gladstones - paying less than being asked for?

Options
MunkyHeed
MunkyHeed Posts: 13 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi all, I know repeated posts have been made on here regarding these, so I'll keep it brief.
I ignored loads of DRP+ messages for their client G24. I've now got a letter from Gladstones saying they may take legal action.

Admittedly the car was parked in a store car park over several occasions as my work car park was full. The claim is for several hundred pounds.

Am wondering if its likely that I could offer to pay less than the amount being requested. I'm wondering if there is a general amount I could offer that they would accept. E.g. 75% of the total amount is normally accepted?

Thanks.

Comments

• fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,036 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good grief why would you pay a scammer?
    They will not accept less they want the maximum they can get out of you don't waste your time, and focus on the word "may"!
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,246 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do not pay.

End of discussion.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Grimble
    Grimble Posts: 455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    G24 do not do court.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    This is a well known scam, and judges are cottoning on to that fact.

Do not pay them a penny unless a judge so orders, which is highly unlikely.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm probably going to pay them,

Then you are a total mug with more money than sense and should not be on this forum! Get real and read relevant threads:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5433044

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5463815

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5258171

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5467085

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5454395

DO NOT offer the PPC any money. DO NOT ring up Debt Recovery Plus. DO NOT pick up the phone AT ALL.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I can understand wanting to get rid of the thing entirely. These companies have been known to settle for much less, like £25.

The only reason they are sending debt collector letters is because they don't want to do court - it costs them a lot and it's uncertain who will win. Well defended you should beat the PPC most times, and in any case, the PPC will spend more than it stands to make.

Not that I suggest you pay up at this stage - Gladstones are acting as just another debt collector here ("may take action").
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You must read what the Prankster says about Gladstones.
    http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=gladstones

At best, Gladstones are cowboys and at worse they are donkeys.

warning to G24
    ....... Gladstones will cost you a lot of money and you will be the loser. Only fools follow a loser
  • MunkyHeed
    MunkyHeed Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you for the replies. I shall read the links provided above. I presume my next question will be answered in one (some) of the links, but I'm of the understanding I should at least acknowledge receipt of the letter, no?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, a letter from a solicitor should elicit a short reply from you, even though we know G24 have never tried court. Especially as you say:
    Admittedly THE CAR WAS parked in a store car park over several occasions as my work car park was full. I guess THE DRIVER was XX XXXX XXXXXX. The claim is for several hundred pounds.

EDIT YOUR FIRST POST TO REMOVE WHO WAS DRIVING AND REMOVING ANY ADMISSION OF 'WRONG'. NOW!

The fact it is several PCNs mean a parking firm *could* decide to try a small claim but with G24 you'd be the first!

So, just in case they break the habit of a lifetime you could write and state that any claim would be robustly defended as the registered keeper and you are aware that G24 do not own the car park and that the Beavis case would not save such disproportionate charges from being a penalty, due to the lack of clear signage at that site.

I wouldn't go into any detail but would go there and get some photos to show how unreadable the signage wording up on poles is, just in case they change it in the meantime. Keep all letters and tell us if you get an actual Letter before Claim.

AND EDIT THAT FIRST POST NOW!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    @MunkyHeed - your forum name has a slight Scottish sound to it (Heed as in Head), you're not based north of the border by any chance?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport