Advocate 80 for cats - flea treatment

Options
Attempted to buy the following as it is highway robbery when buying from the VET, however they replied to say a prescription is required. I sent a copy of the previous prescription when we bought it from the VET (and got fleeced) the first time and so assumed that would be enough, apparently not. Anyone bought this off the web and had similar issues? This is something that is required every month therefore surely we don't have to get the same prescription from the VET on a monthly basis? Although I wouldn't be surprised as it is an easy little income stream for them.

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/advocate-80-for-large-cats-4-8kg-pack-of-3.html

Comments

• Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Never had the need but I think you are able to ask the vet to write a prescription for 3 months supply (maybe 6?) but of course you will need to pay for that!
    Despite that it still may work out cheaper to buy online
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • adonis10
    adonis10 Posts: 1,810 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Looks to be a tenner cheaper online, £57.80 at the vet for 3 months worth and just over £47 when buying prescription (£24) from the vet and medication £23 online. May as well make the saving of £40/year. I assume that I cannot buy 2 lots online with the one prescription? They've got it all worked out - free delivery over £29 however a pack is £21 and so need more than one prescription! Guess we could just take the hit and get a 6 month prescription and buy two lots.
  • basill
    basill Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I asked my vet for a prescription for flea treatment to get it cheaper online, even with the prescription fee I thought I would save some money.

To my surprise the vet recommended Advantage which can be bought online without prescription. we have had no problems with this product.
  • adonis10
    Options
    basill wrote: »
    I asked my vet for a prescription for flea treatment to get it cheaper online, even with the prescription fee I thought I would save some money.

To my surprise the vet recommended Advantage which can be bought online without prescription. we have had no problems with this product.

Cool. Where did you get it from?
  • Mardle
    Mardle Posts: 518 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    We get Advantage from Pet drugs online
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    basill wrote: »

I used advocate for a while before I too switched to advantage. I thought I'd get advocate when advantage is no longer effective but it continues to work well for me. I get mine from animed direct, cost under £10 for 4 treatments. Handy company to get small quantities of wormer from too.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • basill
    basill Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    adonis10 wrote: »
    Cool. Where did you get it from?
    First lot came from Amazon i think, now we go to whichever online pet pharmacy is cheapest.

There are two types for cats Advantage 40 or 80 depending if you have small or fat cats :-)
  • adonis10
    Options
    Mardle wrote: »

Any idea why a prescription is not required? Is it not as strong as advocate?

Does this one cover both flea and worm, as the advocate does?
  • adonis10
    Options
    I used advocate for a while before I too switched to advantage. I thought I'd get advocate when advantage is no longer effective but it continues to work well for me. I get mine from animed direct, cost under £10 for 4 treatments. Handy company to get small quantities of wormer from too.

Cool. Don't you need a prescription to buy from them?
  • adonis10
    Options
    Mardle wrote: »

Is this a wormer as well?

I can't understand why Advocate requires a prescription but Advantage doesn't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure