Reduction of Dividend Allowance?

Options

Comments

• kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    DavidT67 wrote: »
    None of this impacts the Chancellor and his backers as they have their millions in offshore trusts...

That used to be said about Cameron and proved to be rubbish. Have you got any evidence on Hammond?
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • zius
    zius Posts: 378 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 8 March 2017 at 10:10PM
    Options
    how will it affect the pensioners?
    they saved for a nest egg and now been screwed to the bone.
    This is from a political party that advocated investment.
    Hamond was a brexiteer now is destroying the economy of the country with a double edge sword.
  • zius
    zius Posts: 378 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    perhaps should start a petition to reverse the dividend tax.
    It does not give you an incentive to invest!
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    zius wrote: »
    Hamond was a brexiteer now is destroying the economy of the country with a double edge sword.

Todays budget was a non event. Wait for the autumn. Then you may have reason to gripe. Nor forget there's a large deficit to be bridged. With the low hanging fruit picked. The real challenge has started.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,624 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 March 2017 at 10:32PM
    Options

I don't buy this I'm afraid. No pensioner investing over 40 years should have been impacted by this unless they decided to withdraw from a S&S ISA and leave money unwrapped which would have been very daft.
    perhaps should start a petition to reverse the dividend tax.
    It does not give you an incentive to invest!

I disagree. £20k ISA plus £40k pension is plenty of investment scope for the average person. If you can invest beyond that per year I'm not sure you need government assistance.

Totally agree that the inconsistency in such a short period is incredibly unhelpful and doesn't do anything for proper planning but to suggest it gives no incentive is ridiculous.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options

Utter rubbish, what pensioner who isn't extremely wealthy (or financially as dim as a 10w incandescent bulb) is affected by this, it should all be in ISAs and pension.

Many times more pensioners are wondering where the money for their next heating bill is coming, than bemoaning the fact they haven't put their £100k of high income shares in an ISA because they've used up their £15k limit each year and are really struggling what to do with the rest. No doubt it keeps them up at night.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bigadaj wrote: »
    It's just a bit depressing at the lack of consistency.

Under Mrs May's stewardship one would expect future proposals to be more considered. Budgets aren't to make media grabbing headlines with off the cuff gimmicks. In reality they should be totally boring.
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    edited 9 March 2017 at 12:38AM
    Options
    bigadaj wrote: »
    It's just a bit depressing at the lack of consistency.

Stick with things for a bit after proposing them surely, ok it's a different leadership but still the same party elected by the same electorate.

You can't do a lot if a new party comes in but if politicians would stop tinkering it would be a lot better for everyone.

Exactly. Constantly moving the goalposts and creating confusion is only good for accountants putting business their way. Maybe Hammond is looking for a nice little earner on the side like Osborne has got from Blackrock?
    Whats Hammond going to spend it on - I see he is bunging the Scots another £350m or so to stay in UK so Her Maj can keep Balmoral. Looking for a knighthood?
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    financially as dim as a 10w incandescent bulb

Its only recently become necessary to pay the extra to put equities in an ISA for many of us, since there was no extra dividend tax and drawing down their investments by selling a few equities each year would not involve Capital Gains Tax. So those of us who didn''t forsee the Government moving the goalposts again won't have put our equities in an ISA. I put my cash allocation in an ISA instead - because they were taxing interest not dividends.. Not a big problem for me as I can transfer my Cash ISA into my S&S ISA and sell unwrapped shares to maintain my cash allocation. But it makes for extra trading costs and more importantly adds to the complication which sees many fall foul of the increasingly complex tax legislation and unwittingly turned into criminals.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Glen_Clark wrote: »
    Its only recently become necessary to pay the extra to put equities in an ISA for many of us, since there was no extra dividend tax and drawing down their investments by selling a few equities each year would not involve Capital Gains Tax. So those of us who didn''t forsee the Government moving the goalposts again won't have put our equities in an ISA. I put my cash allocation in an ISA instead - because they were taxing interest not dividends.. Not a big problem for me as I can transfer my Cash ISA into my S&S ISA and sell unwrapped shares to maintain my cash allocation. But it makes for extra trading costs and more importantly adds to the complication which sees many fall foul of the increasingly complex tax legislation and unwittingly turned into criminals.

You missed the "or" before my "dim" statement. That's the "very wealthy or as dim....

So, it seems you have £15k a year cash you could put in an ISA and that gave you no room for your other tens of thousands of pounds shares of cash each year you wanted to buy investments with? No sympathy from me about your dilemma and the money saved by the chancellor going to other places instead, such as, IIRC. extra social care.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure