Raw Diet for Dogs

Options
Hi folks,
Just wondering what suppliers people use for raw food for their dogs and what would be the best way to introduce my dog to raw diet, meaning do I introduce it slowly, increasing raw and decreasing kibble, or all at once
:wave:

Comments

• krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a stockist of DAF raw food near me, they're lower end of the budget so makes it more affordable with my two large breed dogs. They sell a mix of minces, meat chunks and bones, as well as extras like chicken feet.

A straight switch it best, I'd highly recommend joining one of the raw feeding groups on Facebook - Raw Feeding UK or Rawfeeding Rebels are good. The Dogs Dinner is a fab website too - http://dogsdinner2.webs.com/quickstartguide.htm
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I also use DAF foods and have done for many years.

They supply minces which contain bone.

I feed a mix of minces with bone , offal, and green tripe over 7 days- balance over time. They get green tripe and offal for breakfast 6 days a week and tripe and and a raw egg on Sundays.( as offal ration is spit over 6 days.

Dinner each night is mince with bone in- a variety of types.
    And a raw chicken wing each evening

They also get a large raw knuckle bone from the butcher each week which they gnaw at at will.

You must do your research and balance your dog's food. It is not difficult once you break it down. I have my dogs' 'menu' hanging up in the kitchen so can check the quantities when I prepare their food. Probably wouldn't need to do that for one dog once you had worked out the quantities.

You will find as many options of diet as there are people feeding raw. Each person feeds what suits her dog/s and herself. I choose to feed minces that contain bone. Others feed large pieces of meat with bone in.

I changed my rescue dog straight away and she had no problems. MY other dog was fed raw from the beginning and I continued it when he came to me at 12 weeks.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    edited 15 May 2017 at 4:45PM
    Options
    I buy my supplies from Paleo Ridge. Excellent quality organic meat & poultry. Everything is sourced in the UK apart from the exotic meats - buffalo, kangaroo, ostrich, camel. I once tried some food from DAF but found it to be quiet poor quality and he refused to eat much of it.

I don't use minces (pooch won't eat them) so I formulate his diet myself using whole prey, tripe, organs and offal plus chunks of meat, poultry and fish. He eats 1.5kg a day so I like to vary it for him. He gets meaty ribs, poultry feet, chicken/duck carcasses/wings, horse/venison necks, lamb/goat legs etc for bone content.

When starting a raw diet only feed one protein to start with to ensure there are no issues and add in one protein at a time. Tripe is very beneficial, containing lots of essential nutrients and also very gentle on the stomach following a bout of sickness/diarrhoea.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    krlyr wrote: »
    I have a stockist of DAF raw food near me, they're lower end of the budget so makes it more affordable with my two large breed dogs. They sell a mix of minces, meat chunks and bones, as well as extras like chicken feet.

A straight switch it best, I'd highly recommend joining one of the raw feeding groups on Facebook - Raw Feeding UK or Rawfeeding Rebels are good. The Dogs Dinner is a fab website too - http://dogsdinner2.webs.com/quickstartguide.htm

same here - mine get through 3.5lb of meat a day between them so I need to stay at this end of the market. My supplier has just put the basic minces up from 79p to 85p per lb.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I use Raw Pet Supplies http://www.rawpetsupplies.co.uk/online-store-1

They are close enough for me to go to their shop when I want to but also offer reasonable delivery (I'm close enough to get their local van delivery but they also offer national courier which can get expensive for large quantities)

I love the selection they stock from several different brands, there is quite a difference between each brand considering they are essentially the same thing. They also do a good range of minces (to keep the cost down), chunks and whole prey. Im down to one dog now but at one stage had three being fed and they all preferred the Bulmers minces over the other brands. However the Bulmers range doesn't have the greatest selection (chicken, turkey, duck, beef and lamb) so I add in some of the other brands for variety (pork, venison, rabbit, pheasant, horse, zebra, goat, various fish and others)
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wow,I thought people just gave it Pal and chum,
    must be really expensive, how much does the food bill cost,
    they eat better than me.
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone tried MVM food? If so, what sort of quality is it please?
  • Timpu
    Timpu Posts: 310 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Allaboutdogfood is useful in comparing dog foods (including raw) for whatever your budget is.
  • Rev
    Rev Posts: 3,150 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I found MVM to be better quality than DAF.

I Clearday raw. They're a small company who covet the north west. He delivers every two weeks.

I feed the raw treat range. Complete minces and since switching I've noticed a gigantic difference in my dogs.
    Sigless
  • Rev
    Rev Posts: 3,150 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    prosaver wrote: »
    wow,I thought people just gave it Pal and chum,
    must be really expensive, how much does the food bill cost,
    they eat better than me.

It's far cheaper to feed raw that commercial. Especially crap commercial like pal and chum.

It cost me around £35 a month to feed two 25kg dogs.

I'd spend triple than feeding them commercial food.
    Sigless
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport