PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord wants tenant to fit a kitchen?

Options

Comments

• Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I agree with the first reply.

nicer area etc, may seem great, but the two most important things with a home is security and stability, and affordability shouldnt be sniffed at either.

I expect a HA property wins all three of those, especially the first two.

If you change your mind you may be surprised how hard it is to get back into a HA property once you privately renting.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It’s the landlords job to put in a new kitchen, not the tenants. He’s going to find it hard to get a decent tenant without a proper kitchen.

A landlord can promise the earth then suddenly, without needing a reason, give notice.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    nothing stopping the LL chucking you out after the kitchen is done, no security actually.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Look at https://www.homeswapper.co.uk first. I got an HA swap through them. It’s the best thing I ever did.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I honestly think it doesn't get better for your son than security of tenancy, which you have now and will not get in the private sector.
  • WibblyGirly
    Options
    Just to add, when letting agents/landlords say its long term, don't bother believing it. I've been told that numerous times and one gave me notice after 4 months as they needed their house back!
    I'd stay in the HA flat and try get a house swap.
    Also I'd never fit a kitchen or anything like that in a landlords house. Part of the higher costs with renting is that that sort of stuff is not the tenants responsibility.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Murphybear wrote: »

A landlord can promise the earth then suddenly, without needing a reason, give notice.
    nothing stopping the LL chucking you out after the kitchen is done, no security actually.
    Rubbish.

See point 3 in post 18.
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    You would be stupid to give away the tenancy of a Housing Association for the vagaries of the private housing sector.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I understand from other threads that you want to 'better yourself' and you are doing so so well given what you have experienced. But don't try this at the cost of a stable home.

You could always stay in the HA flat and save hard so you could buy a home (put aside the extra money you would pay for a private rental, in my area private rentals are more than twice what social housing costs). It will take longer, but not forever. If you can afford a private rental, you should be able to save for a deposit to buy a home, hopefully.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    Rubbish.

See point 3 in post 18.

Not rubbish at all. After looking for a rental that suited us for 6 months we found what seemed to be the ideal property. We signed a 6 month AST in August and thought we’d be there for years. We were good tenants, we were in the last property for 9 years.

We got a S 21 yesterday, after less than 4 months. We are good tenants, we pay the rent and bills on time, don’t play loud music, dont have noisy visitors and keep the house immaculate. The landlord doesn’t want the house back to move in or for his relatives, it will be relet through the same agents.

So don’t tell me rubbish
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport