IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

POPLA Decisions

Options

Comments

• trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Could you give us the name of the PPC?
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • surfboy1
    surfboy1 Posts: 345 Forumite
    Options
    PPC is TPS.
  • tidegu
    tidegu Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    Just won against Horizon Parking

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4818009

Reasons for the Assessor’s Determination
    At [time] [date], the operative observed a [car] parked at [location]. A parking charge notice was issued for not displaying a valid permit.
    The Operator’s case is that the terms and conditions on site state that a valid permit is required to park at the site. There is signage displayed at the site which sets out the terms and conditions and therefore as the vehicle was not displaying a valid permit; the motorist had contravened the parking terms and conditions.
    The Appellant’s case is that:
    a) The Notice to Keeper does not comply with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012.
    b) The motorist did not contravene the terms and conditions.
    c) The amount demanded is not a genuine pre estimate of loss.
    d) The Operator has not shown that they have the authority to pursue charges nor form contracts with drivers.
    e) The signage was not compliant with the BPA Code of Practice.
    Considering carefully all the evidence before me, the Appellant has stated that the Operator has failed to provide evidence of a contract in place with the landowner. The onus is then on the Operator to show that they have the authority from the landowner to issue parking charge notices to vehicles parked in breach of the terms and conditions. In this case, the Operator has failed to provide a copy of the contract in place or a signed witness statement which grants them the authority to enforce restrictions at the site. I consequently have no evidence before me to refute the Appellant’s submission that the Operator does not have the authority to issue parking charge notices to vehicles parked in contravention of the terms and conditions. As a result, I need not decide any other issues raised by the appellant.

Accordingly, this appeal must be allowed.

Shehla Pirwany
    Assessor
  • Dee140157
    Dee140157 Posts: 2,864 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    A different assessor for authority of land owner this time. Seems to be growing in popularity.
    Newbie thread: go to the top of this page and find these words: Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Click on words Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Newbie thread is the first post. Blue New Thread button is just above it to left.
  • zipmonster
    zipmonster Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Here is the POPLA decision in my favour, won under GPEOL. Great result.

XX June 2014
    Reference XXXXX
    always quote in any communication with POPLA
    XXXXXXX (Appellant)
    -v-
    Llawnroc Parking Services Limited (Operator)

The Operator issued parking charge notice number XXXXXX arising out of the presence at XXXX in , xxxx on XX February 2014, of a vehicle with registration mark XXXXX.

The Appellant appealed against liability for the parking charge.
    The Assessor has considered the evidence of both parties and has determined that the appeal be allowed.

The Assessor’s reasons are as set out.

The Operator should now cancel the parking charge notice forthwith.
    XX June 2014

It is the Operator’s case that a parking charge notice was correctly issued, giving the reason as: ‘Parked in private bay’. The Operator submits that a parking charge is now due in accordance with the clearly displayed terms of parking.
    It is the Appellant’s case that the parking charge does not represent a genuine pre-estimate of the loss which could have been caused by the alleged breach.

Appellants are not to be expected to use legal terminology. In this case, it appears to be the Appellant’s case that the parking charge represents a sum for specified damages, in other words compensation agreed in advance. Accordingly, the charge must represent a genuine pre-estimate of the loss caused by the alleged breach.

The Operator does not appear to dispute that the sum represents damages, and has not attempted to justify the charge as a genuine pre-estimate of loss. In its rejection of representations the Operator states that the parking charge notice is not an ‘invoice’, but a ‘charge’. It is not clear what is meant by this, but from the terms of parking it is clear that the charge represents a sum in the way of damages for breach of contract, and so must represent a genuine pre-estimate of the Operator’s loss.

Consequently, I have no evidence before me to refute the Appellant’s submission that the parking charge is unenforceable.

Accordingly, I must allow the appeal.

Christopher Adamson
    Assessor
  • Stormy38
    Stormy38 Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    Here is my response regarding the private parking charge.
    XXXXXXXXX (Appellant) -v- Highview Parking Limited (Operator)

The Operator issued parking charge notice number 568140421010 arising out of the presence at Riverside Retail Park, on 21/04/2014, of a vehicle with registration mark XXXXXXX.

The Appellant appealed against liability for the parking charge.
    The Assessor has considered the evidence of both parties and has determined that the appeal be allowed.

2 02 July 2014
    At 14:52 on the 21st April 2014, a grey Honda XXX with registration mark XXXXXXX was recorded exiting the Riverside Retail Park after a stay of 2 hours and 44 minutes. The car park is a 2.5 hour maximum stay car park and a parking charge notice was issued for parking in excess of the maximum stay period.
    The Operator’s case is that the terms and conditions on site state that the car park is a 2.5 hour maximum stay car park. There is signage displayed at the site which sets out the terms and conditions and therefore as the vehicle was parked in excess of the maximum stay, the motorist was parked in contravention of the terms and conditions.
    The Appellant’s case is that:
    a) The charge is not a genuine pre estimate of loss.
    b) The Operator has failed to show that they have the authority to levy charges.
    c) The signage at the site is insufficient.
    d) The charge amounts to an unlawful penalty charge.
    e) The Operator has failed to show that the ANPR equipment used is compliant with the BPA Code of Practice.
    Considering carefully all the evidence before me, the Appellant has stated that the Operator has failed to provide evidence of a contract in place with the landowner. The onus is then on the Operator to show that they have the authority from the landowner to issue parking charge notices to vehicles parked in breach of the terms and conditions. In this case, the Operator has failed to provide a copy of the contract in place or a signed witness statement which grants them the authority to enforce restrictions at the site. I consequently have no evidence before me to refute the Appellant’s submission that the Operator does not have the authority to issue parking charge notices to vehicles parked in contravention of the terms and conditions. As a result, I need not decide any other issues raised by the Appellant.

3 02 July 2014

Shehla Pirwany
    Assessor
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    a win against APCOA at Luton Airport by truckert

not a gpeol was the winning appeal point

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4964007&page=2
  • londonerryan
    londonerryan Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Won against Ethical Parking Management

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4870399

Assessor: Amber Ahmed

Reasons for the Assessor’s Determination:

The operator issued parking charge notice number xxxxxx arising out of the presence at xxxxxxx College – on [date] plus [car reg].

The operator recorded that the vehicle was displaying an expired ticket or permit. This is the last of the two appeals I am considering together.

The appellant has made various representations; I have not dealt with them all as I am allowing this appeal on the following ground.
    It is the appellant’s case that the amount of the parking charge does not represent a genuine pre-estimate of loss.

The image of the signage produced as evidence by the operator worryingly refers to the charge as a “penalty”. However, this is a library image and I am unable to determine when this was taken. The signage also states that “failure to display a valid permit and proof of payment” will result in a parking charge being issued. This wording appears to indicate that the parking charge represents damages for a breach of the parking contract. Accordingly, the charge must be a genuine pre-estimate of loss. The estimate must be based upon loss flowing from a breach of the parking terms.

The operator has not justified how the amount of the parking charge notice represents a genuine pre-estimate of loss.

Considering carefully, all the evidence before me, I find that as the appellant’s case is that the amount of the parking charge does not represent a genuine pre-estimate of loss, the burden shifts to the operator to prove otherwise. I find that the operator has not discharged this burden.

• nc11
    nc11 Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    A little late, sorry!

An appeal win against PE. Here is the full transcript:

NC11 (Appellant) -v-
    ParkingEye Ltd (Operator)

PARKING ON PRIVATE LAND APPEALS
    PO Box 70748 London EC1P 1SN 0845 207 7700 enquiries@popla.org.uk https://www.popla.org.uk
    Reference 6061144032 always quote in any communication with POPLA

The Operator issued parking charge notice number 123456/654321 arising out of a presence on private land, of a vehicle with registration mark NC11NCC.

The Appellant appealed against liability for the parking charge. The Assessor has considered the evidence of both parties and has
    determined that the appeal be allowed.

Parking on Private Land Appeals is administered by the Transport and Environment Committee of London Councils Calls to Parking on Private Land Appeals may be recorded

It is the Appellant’s case that the parking charge notice was issued incorrectly.

The Operator has not produced a copy of the parking charge notice, nor any evidence to show a breach of the conditions of parking occurred, nor any evidence that shows what the conditions of parking, in fact, were.

Accordingly I have no option but to allow the appeal.

Assessor
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,352 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    A win reported against Highview:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=65929826&highlight=#post65929826

Apparently their charges are not a genuine pre-estimate of loss - what a surprise in a free car park, who would have thought it?!

:D
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback