Real-life MMD: Should I claim for train delay?

Former_MSE_Debs
Former_MSE_Debs Posts: 890 Forumite
edited 10 December 2013 at 4:11PM in MoneySaving polls
Money Moral Dilemma: Should I claim for train delay?

My train journey was delayed by more than half an hour after someone was hit by a previous train. Under the delay repay scheme, I'm entitled to apply for a part-refund of my ticket, getting me about £10 back. Given the circumstances though, I feel like doing it might be morally wrong. Should I claim?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply

Note: Please remember that these are real-life Money Moral Dilemmas and while we want you to have your say, please remember to be nice when you respond.

If you have a real-life money MORAL dilemma, email [EMAIL="MMD@moneysavingexpert.com"]MMD@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL]

Previous MMDs: View All

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• That's what the scheme is there for. If it were any different, it would stipulate that it had to be the train companies' fault - but it doesn't - so it isn't.

Claim your money.
  • Think about how many times your journey's been delayed by just less than half an hour so not entitling you to any compensation, then decide if you want to put in a claim! And dirty carriages, not enough seats, crushed up against other passengers in the rush hour, very high fares, frequency of 'rail replacement buses' might also be taken into consideration..
  • Did you lose out financially due to the delay? If not and you claimed, you would 1) be adding to the worsening claim culture and my insurance premiums, and 2) causing ticket prices to increase further to cover such unnecessary claims - before any thought for making money from someone else's misfortune and/or injury.
  • tripled
    tripled Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 December 2013 at 12:00AM
    Claim it. You have agreement with the company that if they don't get you to your destination within a specified time frame, you are entitled to a partial refund. It's completely different to claiming "compensation".

In any case, the train company may well get a compensation payment from Network Rail due to the delay, their shareholders will happily trouser anything you don't claim.
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    What Jiggi said ^^^^^^^^^^
  • mr-tom_2
    mr-tom_2 Posts: 131 Forumite
    So I don't think it is morally wrong to reclaim due to delay. The train company will recover their costs from network rail, who provide the lines.

Across the country, lots of lines are fenced and level crossings automated. On some tube lines, the platforms have barriers that prevent people accessing the rails.

My point is that this stuff isn't used more widely for financial reasons, whereas by claiming money that their own charter says is yours gives them a clear financial reason to extend the protection that keeps people away from the rails.

Believe me, without the financial incentive, they are unlikely to act.

If you feel guilty keeping the money, give it to charity. Or to me. Either is good. :P
  • Fujiko
    Fujiko Posts: 150 Forumite
    Jiggi wrote: »
    Did you lose out financially due to the delay? If not and you claimed, you would 1) be adding to the worsening claim culture and my insurance premiums, and 2) causing ticket prices to increase further to cover such unnecessary claims - before any thought for making money from someone else's misfortune and/or injury.
    I don't think financial loss is relevant. The train companies so far as I am aware don't ask you to prove this. The rules are quite clear - if the train is delayed by a specified time you are entitled to claim some or all of your fare. If the train companies want to change the terms it is up to them to do so not up to you to re-write them.
  • ayayay
    ayayay Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The train operating companies get money from Network Rail for the delay. If you dont claim in return then they keep the money.
  • Most posters so far seem to agree that this surely isn't a "moral dilemma".
    Claim it - rules are rules.
  • Let's examine the root cause of the delay: someone was able to be hit by a train. Regardless of whether the person put themselves in the way of the train accidentally or deliberately is irrelevant: there was the capacity for this to happen.

As said above, the train company will obtain money from Network Rail and if this happens enough, Network Rail will have to look at how they can reduce this from happening (cynically from a financial perspective only).

You should reclaim the money: the train was delayed by over 30 minutes and this is your right in the contract you signed up to in purchasing your train ticket.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure