Buy ethereum uk

Options

Comments

• economic
    economic Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    Options
    JohnRo wrote: »
    That goes without saying, what I do know is that all fiat will keep swirling down the pan.

in periods iof deflation it doesnt.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,173 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    JohnRo wrote: »
    That goes without saying, what I do know is that all fiat will keep swirling down the pan.

Easy answer, don't invest in currency of any type., no currency is an investment. Currency is for exchange and short term savings. Invest in things that generate a return such as equity, debt , and property.
  • malc_b
    malc_b Posts: 1,081 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I can't see people can post that investing in bitcoin or ethereum can't make a profit. Does nobody look at the price charts? The market is hugely volatile. Ethereum last Jun was $12 it is now $375, so $1000 invest in jun would be $375,000 now. Of course now it might stay at this rate or fall back to $12, so $1000 now might be $32 next Jun. It's a gamble and should be viewed as such. Only invest what you can afford to lose.

I think bitcoin and ethereum have more in common with company shares than a currency. Pick a start up when it shares are cheap and if it turns into an "Apple" or "Microsoft" then its fantastic but it probably won't so its a gamble.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,173 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    edited 19 June 2017 at 8:54AM
    Options
    malc_b wrote: »
    I can't see people can post that investing in bitcoin or ethereum can't make a profit. Does nobody look at the price charts? The market is hugely volatile. Ethereum last Jun was $12 it is now $375, so $1000 invest in jun would be $375,000 now. Of course now it might stay at this rate or fall back to $12, so $1000 now might be $32 next Jun. It's a gamble and should be viewed as such. Only invest what you can afford to lose.

I think bitcoin and ethereum have more in common with company shares than a currency. Pick a start up when it shares are cheap and if it turns into an "Apple" or "Microsoft" then its fantastic but it probably won't so its a gamble.

No one says it cant make a profit in the short term. What one can say is that the profit is pure speculation coming from solely from an inbalance of supply and demand - you dont get any income from owning bitcoins. In the case of bitcoin we have a paradox in that the more people believe it will increase in value the more they will want to take it out of circulation rather than use it for the mundane purpose of buying things, ie as a currency. On the other hand the less likely it is to be used as a currency the less it makes sense to buy it for the long term as it has no other intrinsic value whatsoever. This is an ideal scenario for boom and bust.

Real investments such as shares generating dividends or re-investment, loans (eg bonds) generating interest and property generating rents do have the intrinsic value of future income. Sure, you can also have speculation in shares such as your example of trying to buy future Apples but as we saw in the dot com crash unless it is backed up by the real value it will eventually collapse. At least the increasing price of a red hot tip doesnt directly provide the negative feedback that will prevent it being ultimately successful.
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    malc_b wrote: »

No, anyone investing $1000 at $12 per unit will see a return of $31,250. Any more financial advice?
    Pants
  • cynicaldoc
    cynicaldoc Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    Shots fired!

So where would invest? A bitcoin tracker (XBT either in euros or SEK) or direct buy?

And I can't see an easy way for a novice like myself to buy a few hundred quid of Ethereum to hold and cross fingers.
  • parking_question_chap
    Options
    cynicaldoc wrote: »
    Shots fired!

So where would invest? A bitcoin tracker (XBT either in euros or SEK) or direct buy?

And I can't see an easy way for a novice like myself to buy a few hundred quid of Ethereum to hold and cross fingers.

Yes, it rather odd.

Get told on this thread that its as safe as a shares ISA, but good look going through all the smoke and mirrors to actually buy it, then once you own it its just trying to find somewhere safe to put it.

:rotfl:
  • markj113
    markj113 Posts: 256 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can a hardware wallet for about £70, fully secure and handles multiple cryptocurrencies.

e.g. Nano ledger S, trezor
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Get told on this thread that its as safe as a shares ISA, but good look going through all the smoke and mirrors to actually buy it, then once you own it its just trying to find somewhere safe to put it.

What you need to understand is that fiat currency is very risky, because even though it is a highly stable store of value and a loaf of bread's worth today will still be a loaf of bread next month and a 2% smaller loaf next year, the government could at any time turn on the printing presses and steal your money. Even if they're not going to, it doesn't matter because they still could.

On the other hand Bitcoin and Ethereum and OneCoin are safe as houses because even though the price fluctuates from day to day and a loaf of bread today could be two loaves of bread or half next month and a quarter of a loaf in a year, the government can't print more of them. The fact that they don't need to because cryptocurrency is already extremely poor as a store of value does not matter, all that matters is the government can't print more of them, not the practical economic consequences.

You should buy Bitcoins because they will allow you to store your wealth outside the influence of The Man - however, if Bitcoins fail to store your wealth because they fall in value it's because The Man is scared of it and is trying to destroy it. Do not ask how The Man can successfully make the value of Bitcoins go down when Bitcoins are free of his influence, that is blasphemy.

Basically, you need to understand that black is white.
  • SpeedSouth
    SpeedSouth Posts: 333 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So the idea is you buy it from a broker, say coinbase for example and from there can transfer it to a hardware wallet?

I was thinking about investing a few £100 as buy and hold only, but the wallets are £80 so I need to make that back.

Of course it is a gambling I'm aware of that, and a even if I punt £600 on that, it would still be less than 1% of my overall portfolio (not including property)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure