PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Going on holiday between exchange and completion?

Hello,

We are in a chain of 4, second from the bottom. Our buyers have been ready to exchange for a couple of weeks, and we have just had our survey back, so are hoping to ready in the next few weeks. Our vendor is roughly the same way along as us.

Our buyer is getting a bit impatient (it has been 8 weeks since we accepted his offer, with Christmas in the middle...), so we are keen to exchange sooner rather than later, but we have a 2 week holiday in 3 weeks time. We don't want the stress of trying to exchange and complete in 3 weeks, and before our holiday, but is there any reason why we couldn't exchange just before we go, and then complete the week after we get back - so a 3ish week gap between the two?

This is all completely hypothetical of course, as we're well aware of how long things take with solicitors!!

Thanks

Comments

• Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Of course you can, as long as everyone else in the chain agrees.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    personally wouldn't go on holiday until everything is sorted out, what if the solicitor needed you sign something or clarify e.t.c.

Will depend as above if everyone else will agree,
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    csgohan4 wrote: »
    personally wouldn't go on holiday until everything is sorted out, what if the solicitor needed you sign something or clarify e.t.c.

This is all done before exchange though. Between exchange and completion there isn't anything to do.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    That will be the period most people would normally be booking a removal company, packing up your house, sorting out a broadband/tv contract, preparing change of address notifications, arranging post re-direction, etc.

That's why a lot of people like a 2 to 4 week gap between exchange and completion.

But if you're comfortable with fitting in a holiday as well, there's nothing to stop you.
  • Thanks everyone. To be honest, the only reason we would is to keep our buyer happy as he is rushing to exchange and we don't want him to pull out. We could do booking removals etc over email from abroad I guess.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    We could do booking removals etc over email from abroad I guess.

Not so easy if the removers want to look at how much stuff you have to give an accurate price, some don't but I've always gone with one who has been to take a look.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Thanks everyone. To be honest, the only reason we would is to keep our buyer happy as he is rushing to exchange and we don't want him to pull out.

Would your buyer really pull out over a 3 week delay...

... when finding and buying another property is likely to take 10 to 12 weeks minimum (and the loss of a few hundred pounds)?

If it calms your buyer's nerves, you could even suggest an early exchange followed by a gap of 4 or 6 weeks until completion - so that you're not so stressed on your holiday.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,760 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    As a pro doing this for over 30 years, I am astonished by the number of people who decide to combine a holiday and a property purchase at the same time.

No criticism of the OP intended. Just amazed, that's all...! :eek:
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Haha, we would never have chosen to combine a property purchase and a holiday! We've had our house on the market since last March, were just about to take it off and try again in the spring, booked a holiday and then got an offer!

I wish we weren't going on holiday - it's massively stressing me out, and I think we'd probably cancel it if it wasn't a long haul trip which has cost us quite a bit and is non-refundable...
  • mjs0510
    mjs0510 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Over a 2 week Xmas and New Year holiday we exchanged on sale & purchase, confirmed our in between rental house, booked removal company, changed address with utilities etc all sat on a beach in Mexico. Nothing to stop you if your organised before you go, we had had quotes for removals and signed both contracts before leaving though. Email and Wifi has moved things on over 30 years - you could be sat anywhere.

We had hoped for it all to be done before Xmas so we wouldn't have to interrupt our holiday but our buyers solicitors had other ideas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure