Taking Euro out in the UK with the Halifax Clarity credit card?

Options
I've got a Halifax Clarity credit card which allows me to take out cash abroad without fees. I also have a Nationwide credit card which is the same too. Never had issues and always been happy with the rates.

I need to pay someone around 700 Euro in cash in the UK. Is there a way I can use these cards to get out Euro without getting stung by fees? If not then I'll use one of the money exchange places that offers good rates.

(I work in Central London if that helps direct answers)

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Moneycorp ATM in a main train station?

Are you sure the Nationwide credit card is fee free for cash?
  • chattychappy
    Options
    Moneycorp ATMs at Gatwick Airport. No fee, no loading. Opt out of "conversion". So you get pretty much the interbank rate. But it's 30mins and a few quid on the train! If you go, use Oyster and take a train from platforms 15-19 at Victoria (or London Bridge). Then you won't be charged for a Gatwick Express fare which these days is not really faster than the trains that stop at Clapham Junction/East Croydon.

But I think it's still about £8 x 2 on Oyster. But as you work in London you might have a travelcard anyway. If you do, I know it's only £3 x 2 from East Croydon (zone 5), less with some railcards.

But daily limit is £500, Euro560. You could use another Mastercard Credit Cards. Only Mastercard Credit Cards let you avoid DCC. Depending on the card, the fees/interest for the balance might be reasonable.

DCC (ie where they quote a GBP amount at the time of withdrawal) loading is about 8% at those machines.
  • chattychappy
    Options

Oohhh I didn't know Moneycorp ATMs were in train stations. I've only seen other bank's machines.

Free or not (mine isn't), Nationwide CC is Visa, so wouldn't avoid the DCC loading on Moneycorp.
  • YorkshireBoy
    Options
    Oohhh I didn't know Moneycorp ATMs were in train stations.
    I don't either, hence the question mark. :)
  • chattychappy
    Options
    I don't either, hence the question mark. :)

:D:D

Some more suggestions:

A Moneycorp ATM in any central London park?
    A Moneycorp ATM on a boat on the river?
    A bloke handing out free Euros near Leicester Square?
  • techno79
    techno79 Posts: 354 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Good point, I think it might be free for purchases abroad. In which case, I'll ignore the NW card.
  • techno79
    techno79 Posts: 354 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions, it sounds like a right faff. I thought it might be simple with a special ATM near me to get the Euro. I think I'll just use a normal currency exchange place that'll offer the next best rate to my Halifax card. Thanks again for all the help.
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Options
    My Nationwide Select CC is free for purchases overseas, but not for cash. Mastercard appears to give marginally better rates than Visa but the difference is tiny.
  • YorkshireBoy
    Options
    :D:D

Some more suggestions:

A Moneycorp ATM in any central London park?
    A Moneycorp ATM on a boat on the river?
    A bloke handing out free Euros near Leicester Square?
    Wasn't trying to be funny, just likened St Pancras (but couldn't remember at the time of posting which station was for Eurostar) to Gatwick, ie a lot of people in one place wanting Euros.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Moneycorp multi-currency ATMs are also present landside at Stansted and Southend airports. Be sure to select 'Without Conversion' to get the straight MasterCard rate, which also works with Starling Bank and Loot (prepaid) cards. US dollars are also available this way, and other European currencies at Stansted and Gatwick.

The Raphael Bank multi-currency machines at some London stations are no use for this.
    Evolution, not revolution
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport