Regular Savings Accounts: The Best Currently Available List!

Options

Comments

• veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Kazza242 wrote: »
    Saffron Building Society will launch a new issue of their Members' Regular Saver on Tuesday 26th May, paying 3.50%.

The 12 Month Fixed Rate Members' Regular Saver (Issue 3) allows you to pay in between £10 - £200 per month and the account runs for 12 months. Unlimited withdrawals are permitted.

Like the previous issue, Saffron may allow non-members to open the account via a branch, though (at the time of writing this post, 22/05/2015) it has not been confirmed that they will allow this.

Existing members can open the account via branch or post.

Further details will appear on the Saffron BS website on Tuesday (26 May), see here.

This new 3.5% account (which does indeed seem to replace the now pulled 4% RS) is now showing on this link:

http://www.saffronbs.co.uk/savings/display.product.php?categoryID=1&category=general&productID=g2
  • moi
    moi Posts: 977 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Newcastle BS Big Home Saver (Issue 3)

Interest rate: 2% gross p.a. / 2.02% gross AER variable
    Monthly payment: £1-£1,250
    Miss any payments: Yes, but you earn a lower interest rate in any month you miss a payment
    Penalty-free withdrawals: No, you will earn a lower interest rate on the entire account balance in any month you make a withdrawal
    Age of applicant: Not stated
    How to open account: Branch, online and post

This appears to have become limited to branch opening and branch operations only. The option to open one through online banking has gone, and their webpage about the accounts has got rid of any reference to operation/opening by post or online. :(

"Big Home Savers

Introducing a branch exclusive ....

Available exclusively in branch....

Access By branch only."
  • MARTYM8`
    MARTYM8` Posts: 1,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    From 1 July Mansfield BS are cutting the rate on their regular savings (2nd and 3rd issues) accounts from 2.75% to 2.25%.

The 3rd issue is the currently available product.

http://mansfieldbs.co.uk/savings/regular-savings-3rd-issue
  • Special_Saver2
    Special_Saver2 Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Folks,

I have carried out this weekend's update.

- Newcastle BS Big Home Saver (Issue 3) entry updated to reflect only available to open in branch now
    - Safrron BS 12 Month Fixed Rate Regular Saver issue 2 replaced with issue 3 paying 3.5%. My understanding of the website and entries above is that anybody can open an account in branch and existing customers can open an account by post, please correct me if this is wrong

I will do another update the weekend after next.

SS2

For those new to this thread, the first few posts are constantly updated and are here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...=608697&page=1
  • afmfifgh
    afmfifgh Posts: 281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 June 2015 at 11:28AM
    Options
    For all 3 issues I believe of the Newcastle Building Society Big Home Saver accounts - The £30,000 maximum balance becomes effective from today (01/06/2015).

Does anyone know how you can check the interest rate on the new Nottingham Building Society Special Saver Issue 3 account, I understand it is a variable rate and was 4% last month but want to make sure it hasn't changed? I can't find it online anywhere to check and I can't get into a branch.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    The 4% has only just came out ,afm. Just paid my first contribution, will visit branch tomorrow to check.
    The 3.1% has been going ages. at the same rate
  • ernie-money
    ernie-money Posts: 815 Forumite
    Options
    I've just realised that this account wasn't actually on the list, so not sure how I originally found it, but for anyone else who's got one - I've just had a letter in the post telling me that the interest is reducing from 4% to 3% in August. Shame, because the account never matures, so I've accrued a fair bit of money in there since I opened it...
    I don't think I can hang on til Friday...
  • Special_Saver2
    Options
    Hi Everybody,

I have carried out this weekend's update.

Regarding the Chorley BS Childrens Regular Saver account that ernie-money mentions in the post above, it is no longer available however the second issue is available paying a lower interest rate of 2% on up to £150 per month. I have included it with the accounts that can stay open for more than 1 year as the account will run until the child's 16th birthday and there is a maximum balance of £28,800 (which is equivalent to 16 years of payments without any interest).

The adult equivalent account actually looks better. It is already in post 2, paying 2% on up to £500 per month, no maturity date, maximum £85,000 (which would take you around 14 years to fill). You could debate if that account should be in post 2 or post 3. As there is no maturity date, I will leave it in post 2 as you could technically fill it with £85,000 then keep doing little withdrawals to keep the account open indefinitely.

I will do another update next weekend.

SS2

For those new to this thread, the first few posts are constantly updated and are here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...=608697&page=1
  • Special_Saver2
    Options
    Hi Folks,

I cannot find anything that has changed for this weekend's update.

I will do another update next weekend.

SS2

• Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,033 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    moi wrote: »
    This appears to have become limited to branch opening and branch operations only. The option to open one through online banking has gone, and their webpage about the accounts has got rid of any reference to operation/opening by post or online. :(

"Big Home Savers

Introducing a branch exclusive ....

Available exclusively in branch....

Access By branch only."

And they have upped the max monthly contribution to £1,270.00.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure