The Top Easy Access Savings Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Patr100
    Patr100 Posts: 2,578 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    autolycus wrote: »
    My wife spent an hour on the phone to Citibank this morning, being passed around the call centre, and eventually established that, without a passport or a photocard driving licence, she's persona non grata. So stuff them. Why aren't they honest enough to start their online application process with a simple statement: "If you've not got a passport or photo licence, **** off"?

I so agree - see my earlier post on this thread. I went through all the applic process, got their paperwork in the post to to be asked for DL or Passport or says phone if you have neither-
    Phone to to be told they can't open the account without them -
    Absolute Waste of time.
  • WaxiesDargle
    Options
    I have the card here that citibank sent and all I have to do is activate it...as I've said on another thread all these adverse comments are putting me off.....I never had to do the passport thing though
  • People, forgive me if this is a silly question, but if Citi's bonus is only 2.25% then what's to stop them pulling that rate down to 2.75% (bonus+base rate) once they have sucked punters in? If memory serves me correct, that happened to me with an account at A&L, the rate just slowly trickled down..

With that in mind would it not be better to go with B&B whose bonus is 2.8% (3.3% with the base rate) ?

Applied for Citi and just had enough of their lack of responses...If I'm gonna give someone £50k for example (so they can go flutter on the markets and triple it) I don't expect to have to chase them for information that is delaying my account opening!
  • Pheebs67
    Pheebs67 Posts: 70 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have the card here that citibank sent and all I have to do is activate it...as I've said on another thread all these adverse comments are putting me off.....I never had to do the passport thing though

You're right . .. and you're wrong.

"All I have to do is activate it" isn't easy. (or hasn't been for many folks here). It took me 3 phone calls of between an hour and an hour and a half to get through (all the terrible hold music / messages tell me I can apply for a savings account online, even though I've selected the 'activate' option which seems counter intuitive to me?!) . . . once I did get through, the bloke in the foreign call centre was clearly reading from a script, asked me a bunch of stupid security questions where the answer to one negated the next, then put me on hold for 10 minute to get it 'activated' . . . What the hell does that mean? Surely the bloke has a button on a screen to click that says 'activate' on it . . . how does that take 10 minutes?

Anywho, after you do get through this, you then face the challenge of using the appauling website. After clicking about 5 different 'Register' options, filling out pin numbers with a really rubbish on screen keyboard, then answering 5 more security challenges (the questions to which are the most bizzarre I've seen) you then find yourself with an active account. From here, the experience doesn't get any better.

On the "Payments / Transfers" option, I encounter 3 steps. 1 = Destination account. Simple enough. 2 = Amount. Again easy. 3 = Payee and my linked current account details are listed. Now this confuses me. If my 'Destination account' is my new savings account, how can my current account be the 'Payee'?
    Payee definition :
    A person receiving payment through any form of money transfer method.
    At this point, I've given up.

Within 6 minutes online, I've opened an ING savings account at 3.2% where the interest is paid monthly like the Citi account. All's I've got to do is send a cheque (freepost) to initially activate the account. I had a question about the account, so I phoned them, at peak times, and got straight through to an English call centre where the girl I spoke to was very nice and very knowledgable.

Screw Citi.

I would Phone them to tell them to close my account but that'd be another 90 minutes of my life I'd never get back.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Have had all the same problems with Citi as the rest of you all on the forum so am giving up but, one thing before I do....

how did any of you that provided your identity details by post as photocopies (my online information got me nowhere) get them countersigned as authentic? I asked my bank (HSBC) to help as 'bankers' were on the (very short) list of people who are now trusted to do this (ha!ha!) and they refused citing the Data Protection Act as a reason!! Hmmmm

Any experience of this?
  • psychic_teabag
    psychic_teabag Posts: 2,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 October 2009 at 10:13PM
    Options
    spantik wrote: »
    how did any of you that provided your identity details by post as photocopies (my online information got me nowhere) get them countersigned as authentic? I asked my bank (HSBC) to help as 'bankers' were on the (very short) list of people who are now trusted to do this (ha!ha!) and they refused citing the Data Protection Act as a reason!! Hmmmm

Any experience of this?

I went to my bank (natwest) and said that I had applied for an online account and needed proof of ID. I forgot to mention that it wasn't a natwest account that I was applying for ...

EDIT: I had applied for a natwest account online not that long previously, so I knew that do sometimes require ID and that the staff might be used to this sort of request.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    didn't work at HSBC. They assumed that I WAS applying for one of their accounts and said proof of ID wasn't necessary! Thanks anyway.
  • spantik wrote: »
    Have had all the same problems with Citi as the rest of you all on the forum so am giving up but, one thing before I do....

Any experience of this?

I sent my parents to Barclays as they know the manager there and he stamped and signed the copy in minutes without my presence haha. Data protection my !!!!!, more like 'I can't be bothered to help you!'

On a happier note, I closed my ING just now. Got connected within 10 mins as no doubt they are overwhelmed with new applications, but the best bit is talking to a clearly well spoken advisor and not the foreign script talking robots over at Citi which probably would have taken me the best part of half a day lol. He even said 'I'm not gonna lie to you, I can't beat 3.3%' :T Honesty, you gotta love it!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks for your comments but it doesn't help Jo Public who don't have the right connections!! Funnily enough I have just done the same thing as you - closed my ING account and am about to open another.
  • Vegeta
    Vegeta Posts: 383 Forumite
    edited 22 October 2009 at 3:12AM
    Options
    Are ING Direct reliable and trustworthy?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback