Can we have a VOIP forum?

Options
seth
seth Posts: 1,291 Forumite
It is crazy we don't have one. What is the processes for getting one set up?
Seth.

Comments

• Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You could try asking on This Site, Questions and Answers!
  • seth
    Options
    Al_Mac wrote:
    What's VOIP, forgive my ignorance.

:o

Basically say you have a broadband connection, with VOIP you can add 2 new phone lines to your house, but pay no line rental, and get cheap calls, you can do it with software on yuor computer or get some equipment to link up to a "normal" phone (answerphone, fax, DECT) etc..
    The easy explaination - is VOIP stands for voice over internet protocol - this sends voice as little packets of data. The 1899 VOIP is a small bit of software that can be combined with a headset or mic and speakers to make calls over the net. Its worth trying - allows totally free calls from your PC to a phone. Easy to set up and use.
    VOIP is the next big thing - most co's now use VOIP to route calls cheaply - still in its infancy as a consumer product.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=37009&page=2&pp=10
    Seth.
  • gatita
    gatita Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    :confused: :eek: :cool: :eek: now I am even more confused than before lol
    When man sacrifices the Love of POWER for the Power of Love, there will be peace on earth.
  • Phonix
    Phonix Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The easy explaination - is VOIP stands for voice over internet protocol - this sends voice as little packets of data. The 1899 VOIP is a small bit of software that can be combined with a headset or mic and speakers to make calls over the net. Its worth trying - allows totally free calls from your PC to a phone. Easy to set up and use.
    VOIP is the next big thing - most co's now use VOIP to route calls cheaply - still in its infancy as a consumer product.

The use of a standard telephone to be used instead of a headset is an important feature of VoIP that shouldn't be overlooked.
  • seth
    Options
    gatita wrote:
    :confused: :eek: :cool: :eek: now I am even more confused than before lol

There is a thread with pictures and narrative that you might find useful:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=375193#post375193
    Seth.
  • gatita
    gatita Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you for that Seth :T at least now I have a vague notion as to what it is all about:p
    When man sacrifices the Love of POWER for the Power of Love, there will be peace on earth.
  • Phonix
    Phonix Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can a moderator get onto Martin about this. Given the number of threads that have been made on VoIP over the last month and how diverse an area it is; I think it's a good idea to set up a seperate forum.
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As I suggested already this thread should be on This Site board, so I will shift it across there.
  • sra
    sra Posts: 4,678 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Phonix wrote:
    Can a moderator get onto Martin about this. Given the number of threads that have been made on VoIP over the last month and how diverse an area it is; I think it's a good idea to set up a seperate forum.

There are lots of suggestions for new boards here on this site:questions and suggestions. I'm sure they'll all be considered next time things get rejigged icon7.gif
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There's a voip discussion on the back of home phones. To be honest i think it is part of home telephony and don't think it needs its own forum :(
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport