Cheapest/quickest/hassle free SIM options?

Options
ClarkeKent
ClarkeKent Posts: 336 Forumite
Looking for the quickest and hassle free SIM option that is uber cheap?

Is there a SIM I can just pop in, without registering and faffing about that comes with £1-£5 of call credit.

There are many 1p sims on Amazon etc, I've tried a EE one before that claimed to have £5 free credit etc but didn't seem to work.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The Asad PAYG come with credit, but I think it only 50p, but it is free on line, and guess what? 50p in store
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    Three's PAYG SIM (needs a 3G phone), is 3p per min, 2p per text and 1P per MB. The credit doesn't expire, just need a call every month or so, ideal for occasional use.
  • Atasas
    Atasas Posts: 753 Forumite
    Options
    tello.co.uk
    will need some registering, but top-up is easy (IE PayPal min £2.00), can check expenditure etc
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    another vote for asda.

The EE one may have needed topping up to get the free credit.
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    just need a call every month or so
    What makes you think this is necessary?

According to Three:
    "Minutes, text and data last as long as you want them to"

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/Pay_As_You_Go_Price_Plans
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    Chino wrote: »
    All dormant SIMs are removed by the networks, the credit doesn't expire as such, but if you don't use the SIM it will cease to work and when it does your money is lost.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 March 2017 at 12:17PM
    Options
    All dormant SIMs are removed by the networks, the credit doesn't expire as such, but if you don't use the SIM it will cease to work and when it does your money is lost.

After how long?

My wife has an emergency phone on Orange PAYG in her car, which still has most of the £10 credit that we put on it some 10 years ago or more.

We call it and make a call from it once a year, on Christmas Day, just to check that it still works.

Are you saying that she now can't rely on it to work if she needs it in an emergency?
  • oldagetraveller
    Options
    Chino wrote: »

According to Three:
    "Minutes, text and data last as long as you want them to"

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/Pay_As_You_Go_Price_Plans

Here you are Chino, in black and white from their Ts & Cs.:)

(b) For non-use or non-payment of Three Services. If you are a Pay As You Go Customer, we may Disconnect you if you have not topped up your account with a Pay As You Go Voucher or undertaken any chargeable events or activities (for example, made telephone calls, sent text or photo messages, accessed content or the internet or any other Three Services for which a charge is made) using any credit or allowance on your account within the preceding 6 month period or if your account balance drops below zero and you have failed to purchase and activate a Pay As You Go Voucher or otherwise make payment to us to clear the negative balance as detailed in Section 9.1(i). If we Disconnect you for non-use of Three Services as set out in this section any unused credits or allowances on Pay As You Go Vouchers or Add-ons remaining on your account on Disconnection will be forfeited.
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    Mister_G wrote: »
    After how long?
    <SNIP>
    Are you saying that she now can't rely on it to work if she needs it in an emergency?
    Phew, a ten year old phone that's checked once a year? I wouldn't rely on it.

Seriously though, check the Orange/EE terms and conditions for the actual time, 3 to 6 months has been mentioned. The networks run a check every few months to flush out dormant SIMs. Thousands are issued then not used, the numbers are eventually re-issued but I don't know the re-use timescale.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Phew, a ten year old phone that's checked once a year? I wouldn't rely on it.

Seriously though, check the Orange/EE terms and conditions for the actual time, 3 to 6 months has been mentioned. The networks run a check every few months to flush out dormant SIMs. Thousands are issued then not used, the numbers are eventually re-issued but I don't know the re-use timescale.

I should have said that the SIM is over 10 years old. We tend to put my old phone in her car. The current one is a Nokia 6310, which still works just fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure