Should I replace fusebox?

Options
Likestowrite
Likestowrite Posts: 104 Forumite
I have an old style consumer unit with re-wireable fuses. I've never had any problem with it in 27 years of living in my house, but today when I switched the living room light on there was a popping sound and all the lights in the house went out. When the fuse was rewired by my neighbour the same thing happened again. He took off the light switch plate and said that the light switch was okay so the problem must be the chandelier style light fitting. The fuse was rewired again and the other lights in the house are working again. (I'm not using the living room light until it's fixed as the same thing will happen again.)

My neighbour advised me to have the consumer unit replaced when I get the light fitting repaired, as a new one will be safer. But when I had a new kitchen fitted a year ago the person who fitted it (a joiner with some electritical experience) told me that if I hadn't had any trouble with my consumer unit I shouldn't replace it as the trip switches on the new ones are very sensitive and always tripping which can be a huge nuisance. He didn't mention the safety aspect so now I don't know what to do.
Is my old consumer unit likely to be unsafe?
Any advice would be great.

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 25 October 2014 at 10:40PM
    Options
    Why should it suddenly become unsafe?. The fact that it doesn't now comply with the latest specifications doesn't automatically make it unsafe.
    If that was the case we'd all be rewiring, replumbing, reroofing etc.etc everytime a new specification or code of practice was issued.
    It sounds like you've got a problem with your chandelier rather than your fusebox so changing the fusebox won't make your house any safer but sorting out the chandelier might.
    If your chandelier has incandescent lamps (ordinary bulbs) then just a simple bulb blowing can blow a fuse - halogen downlighters are famous for it. Check the bulbs in the chandelier to see if one has blown.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is my old consumer unit likely to be unsafe?

So far, the opposite seems to be the case. It's doing it's job properly and protecting you from an electrical fault.
  • Likestowrite
    Options
    matelodave wrote: »
    Why should it suddenly become unsafe?. The fact that it doesn't now comply with the latest specifications doesn't automatically make it unsafe.
    If that was the case we'd all be rewiring, replumbing, reroofing etc.etc everytime a new specification or code of practice was issued.
    It sounds like you've got a problem with your chandelier rather than your fusebox so changing the fusebox won't make your house any safer but sorting out the chandelier might.
    If your chandelier has incandescent lamps (ordinary bulbs) then just a simple bulb blowing can blow a fuse - halogen downlighters are famous for it. Check the bulbs in the chandelier to see if one has blown.

Thank you. Yes a bulb in the chandelier had blown and when the fuse was repaired in the fuse box another chandelier bulb immediately blew when the light was switched on.
    So if I get the fault in the chandelier fixed there's no need to upgrade the consumer unit? The neighbour said something about an upgraded consumer unit would cut the current in a fraction of a second in a situation where I might get an electric shock, while my present fuse box would take 4 seconds to cut the current. But I don't understand what sort of situation could cause an electric shock. The electric lawn mower could I suppose, if someone accidentally cut through the cable, but it has a plug-in circuit breaker.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,600 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you. Yes a bulb in the chandelier had blown and when the fuse was repaired in the fuse box another chandelier bulb immediately blew when the light was switched on.
    So if I get the fault in the chandelier fixed there's no need to upgrade the consumer unit? The neighbour said something about an upgraded consumer unit would cut the current in a fraction of a second in a situation where I might get an electric shock, while my present fuse box would take 4 seconds to cut the current. But I don't understand what sort of situation could cause an electric shock. The electric lawn mower could I suppose, if someone accidentally cut through the cable, but it has a plug-in circuit breaker.

A new consumer unit would be safer in that it would have an RCD breaker in it as well as correctly rated circuit breakers. "4 seconds to cut the current" probably didn't happen with your faulty light fitting - it depends on the fault load how quickly a wired fuse (or circuit breaker) will go. As others have suggested, it probably isn't dangerous and replacing it may not be necessary. Switches are much more convenient than wired fuses, but that comes at a price of course.

We have RCD protection on our ring main and find that steam irons generally last a year before they start tripping the RCD. The last one I bought has a 2 year warranty but isn't a year old yet...:)

If you're getting a qualified electrician to look at the light fitting, get his/her opinion on the consumer unit as well.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My mate has just been persuaded to change his fuse board and 10mm meter tails to 16mm as that's the latest spec.
    The incoming mains to his house is still only 10mm so he's been conned, the electricity board hasn't seen fit to upgrade all the incoming mains so why do the meter tails have to be even bigger?

If you really want an RCD then one can be fitted between the fuse board and the incoming mains fuse without changing the existing fuseboard. In the end it's your decision but don't be scared into it because it's not necessary.

As gloomendoom said, it's doing it the job it was intended to - try buying better quality bulbs
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • newbie1980
    newbie1980 Posts: 2,016 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    matelodave

because the regulations state you have to have the bigger tails which will be 25mm from 16mm

the supplier can do as they wish as they believe the wire in the floor allows it to cool so can be a smaller size

get the facts before you judge
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    A consolation that if you get a modern consumer unit fitted, they are much cheaper than yesteryear.

It might be worth getting a quote from a local electrician.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    A consolation that if you get a modern consumer unit fitted, they are much cheaper than yesteryear.

It might be worth getting a quote from a local electrician.

That's because the modern ones are made in China, using cheap flimsy plastic that isn't remotely fireproof.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Robwiz
    Robwiz Posts: 364 Forumite
    Options
    Ectophile wrote: »
    That's because the modern ones are made in China, using cheap flimsy plastic that isn't remotely fireproof.

Good point. I think I'm inclined to stick with what works, made in the UK at a time when things were built to last!
  • Silent_Dancer
    Options
    I'm surprised that it wasn't upgraded when the kitchen was done. Any work to the ring main would normally trigger an upgrade.
    Ectophile wrote: »
    Not true the consumer unit will have to meet the relevant British and European standards.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure